House Price Crash Forum

Charities Are Good?

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442

Age UK are not just not good, they are completely evil.

A friend's mother was a volunteer for Age UK, where she was helping vulnerable people navigate through the system so they could get the appropriate help from the council. One of the people she was helping (a middle-aged man with learning difficulties who had always lived with his mother, who had just died) was about to be evicted from his flat because of an outstanding council tax bill of £50. My friend's mum tried to get this bill paid for several months using the client's own bank account, but wasn't getting anywhere. The week before the eviction, rather than see this man out on the street, she simply paid it herself. Age UK's response was not only that they fired one of their most hard working volunteers, but they also had her listed on the government register preventing her from ever working with vulnerable people again. Turns out that they were worried about looking incompetent and that might lose them the contract with the council.

HOLA443

A friend's mother was a volunteer for Age UK, where she was helping vulnerable people navigate through the system so they could get the appropriate help from the council. One of the people she was helping (a middle-aged man with learning difficulties who had always lived with his mother, who had just died) was about to be evicted from his flat because of an outstanding council tax bill of £50. My friend's mum tried to get this bill paid for several months using the client's own bank account, but wasn't getting anywhere. The week before the eviction, rather than see this man out on the street, she simply paid it herself. Age UK's response was not only that they fired one of their most hard working volunteers, but they also had her listed on the government register preventing her from ever working with vulnerable people again. Turns out that they were worried about looking incompetent and that might lose them the contract with the council.

A woamn I work with neighbour used to work for an Age concern charity shop.

She volunteered when her husband died.

She ended up being appointed 'manageress' at the age of 67.

She had to fill in loads of paper work relating to how she was going to increase sales in the local area.

She had regional sales manager breathing down her back saying she had to perform better, meet targets.

After 6 months she left.

Its a tiny shop, filled with junk basically that little old ladies like to come into and rummge through.

She was paid NMW.

HOLA444

I am in no doubt locally.
Volunteers were left without a toilet seat in the shop near us. This is whilst they advertise a handyman service in the shop for old people. Most volunteers are retired OAPs.
They also took the fuse out of the heating circuit so that no money was wasted on heating.
Staff are employed if they are family or close friends of the boss.

HOLA445

A claim that charity Age UK has been promoting unfavourable gas and electricity deals in return for cash is to be examined by two regulators.

The Sun newspaper said energy deals offered by Age UK with supplier E.On may have been much more expensive than the cheapest offers from the firm.

The energy regulator Ofgem and the Charities Commission are to examine the deals.

Age UK rejected the allegations, while E.On said its tariffs were competitive.

In return for selling its energy deals, the Sun alleged that Age UK had received about £6m from E.On.

'Generous'

Birds of a feather flocking together?

HOLA446

Despicable treatment of a vulnerable man. Also disgusting that your friend's mother was fired and blacklisted for being a caring person. I found out I've been blacklisted from working in social care when a job offer was withdrawn.

For a few years I worked with homeless young people and young people in residential childcare. It perturbed me that 9 out of 10 of the young people I encountered had either very poor or non existent reading and writing skills. The charitable organisations had no interest in addressing this so eventually I went to a local MP and wrote to the "Care" Commission then resigned from the job I was in.

A lot of these charity organisations don't want people who actually care they just want people who will do as they are told and say nothing while the funding rolls in for the fat cats salaries and perks.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The "charity business" is evil. :unsure:

Fancy that! Getting people on expensive energy deals supplied by the company that fills their coffers!

HOLA449

Despicable treatment of a vulnerable man. Also disgusting that your friend's mother was fired and blacklisted for being a caring person. I found out I've been blacklisted from working in social care when a job offer was withdrawn.

For a few years I worked with homeless young people and young people in residential childcare. It perturbed me that 9 out of 10 of the young people I encountered had either very poor or non existent reading and writing skills. The charitable organisations had no interest in addressing this so eventually I went to a local MP and wrote to the "Care" Commission then resigned from the job I was in.

A lot of these charity organisations don't want people who actually care they just want people who will do as they are told and say nothing while the funding rolls in for the fat cats salaries and perks.

No different to many organisations, what is surprising other than our naivety ?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Like many things these days, charities are giving themselves a bad name because of their actions, more people are trusting them less because of the way a growing number of them are doing business......best to pick and choose carefully, do your own research, cut out the middle men and/or donate your time not your money unless you are sure who actually benefits from it.....sometimes it is not the people you think who ultimately gain the most.....

HOLA4412

I've heard first hand stories of Oxfam being awful to work for; a young hard working bloke I know who struggled for years to get a temp shop manager position is leaving the job within a year of starting because of the conditions.

If you want to be charitable, I'd guess the best way is to find something small and local. Literally handing out food to hungry people, that sort of thing. Anything with a business around it is a scam it would seem.

HOLA4413

Charities lost their way when they stopped being run by volunteers.

They are run like profit making organisations now (and it shows).

I know a guy who's about to retire early on the back of a payoff his wife is getting on leaving a charity she founded.

HOLA4414

It's probably made it pretty impossible for a charity to survive without turning into another cutthroat scumbag. Don't scrape every penny and they get accused of wasting donated funds that weren't given for that. It's not the slightest surprise that so many have ended up as they have done. Blame modern economically obsessed and have-your-cake-and-eat-it society.

Archived