House Price Crash Forum

Uk First Time Buyers Get Respite In January Price Dip

doomed

HOLA441
HOLA442
Nationally, listings of properties with two or fewer bedrooms -- a popular choice for first-time buyers -- jumped an annual 6.6 percent.

FTBs have become older and older in the last 20yrs or so .... which means they will be wanting 3 or 4 bed places (i.e. family homes) rather than a small starter home. Thus I think the latter will slide in price markedly .... meaning housing market (especially London) will have dropping prices at the top and bottom, leaving the middle ground looking markedly pricey!

crashy crashy

HOLA443

FTBs have become older and older in the last 20yrs or so .... which means they will be wanting 3 or 4 bed places (i.e. family homes) rather than a small starter home. Thus I think the latter will slide in price markedly .... meaning housing market (especially London) will have dropping prices at the top and bottom, leaving the middle ground looking markedly pricey!

crashy crashy

A 20 year old FTB in 1998 is now 38 and probably still can't buy.

Crazy, but true.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I was 20 in 1998 but buying a house was the last thing on my mind to be fair... the good old days!! Beer, smoke, mates and women I had it all back then.

But I still can't buy today. Well I could afford to, but I refuse to engage at today's highly offensive asking prices.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

crashy crashy

Excellent point - I'm actually in this situation myself. We know we'll probably only ever be able to buy one house now so need to ensure it's suitable for a family lifetime.

HOLA449

Yes, I'll only be buying at most one house in my lifetime, now. With terms of 25 years or more, if I'm not in a position to take out a mortgage in the next couple of years, it's not happening.

Houses have never been reasonably priced in my working lifetime - the absolute earliest I could have applied for a mortgage would have been 2005. Prices had already tripled since the 90s. I remember my coworkers in my first job talking about how much they had made on their flats.

HOLA4410

From the Bloomberg link.

Asking prices for homes in the U.K. capital fell 0.9 percent this month, the least buoyant January performance for four years, property-website operator Rightmove Plc said on Monday in a monthly report.

0.9% "a respite". Take your respite and shove it up your jumper.

HOLA4411

Excellent point - I'm actually in this situation myself. We know we'll probably only ever be able to buy one house now so need to ensure it's suitable for a family lifetime.

The vast number of baby boomers start hitting 70 about now, and will want to downsize from the big family home they bought in their 40s. Apart from meaning an increase in supply, they'll struggle to sell to us priced out 40ish folk unless they drastically drop the price .... there is hope yet.

HOLA4412

Yes, I'll only be buying at most one house in my lifetime, now. With terms of 25 years or more, if I'm not in a position to take out a mortgage in the next couple of years, it's not happening.

Houses have never been reasonably priced in my working lifetime - the absolute earliest I could have applied for a mortgage would have been 2005. Prices had already tripled since the 90s. I remember my coworkers in my first job talking about how much they had made on their flats.

As many will have been priced out for this long I wonder whether this won't put downwards pressure on terms and therefore further downwards pressure on prices, taking them below historic averages?

The money that priced out generations have spent in rent to BTL speculators would normally have gone towards the cost of their homes, remove the speculators from the equation and the priced out have to take up the slack but their purchasing power is lower than it would have been otherwise as it's already been partly siphoned off by the BTLers. Perhaps historic averages are misleading because they don't reflect this loss of purchasing power?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

If the price/earnings ratio fell to 90s levels that would be enough of a crash for me. That would mean a London house would be a third of the current cost, and the average UK house would be about 44% of the current price.

Most of the problem is the way that house price inflation has been allowed to outpace wage inflation so massively for so long.

When minimum wage workers get their wage rise, I'll have to go back to my employer and ask for another increase in order to avoid losing out to the resulting inflation. Sounds cold, but that's the economy we live in, now.

HOLA4416

The vast number of baby boomers start hitting 70 about now, and will want to downsize from the big family home they bought in their 40s.

My inlaws ar ein that bracket and have no intention of downsizing. There are no decent homes for them to downsize to !!!

If you want a decent sized house with a decent sized garden near to some facilities you can go whistle.

They are staying put and employing people instead.

They dont need to worry about the stairs as the'll get a Bulgarian lady to carry them to their bed every night.

HOLA4417

My inlaws ar ein that bracket and have no intention of downsizing. There are no decent homes for them to downsize to !!!

If you want a decent sized house with a decent sized garden near to some facilities you can go whistle.

They are staying put and employing people instead.

They dont need to worry about the stairs as the'll get a Bulgarian lady to carry them to their bed every night.

I just suggested that to the wife. For some reason she was upset.

HOLA4418