House Price Crash Forum

Dt: Career-Focused 22 Year-Old Saves £2,000 A Month And Is Desperate To Buy In London. Can She?

HOLA441
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Does a Cambridge degree still automatically morph into a masters (MA Cantab.) after a year or two?

At Oxford University the masters degree can be granted 21 terms after entering university. At Cambridge the period is six years after the end of the first term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15409386

Edited by Eddie_George

HOLA443

Some consultant, not even aware of the impending tax relief reduction which will torpedo her BTL ambitions from the off.

Insight worth paying for, eh?

A management consultant who can't think a little differently/creatively than the herd. Who'd be prepared to pay for that?

How about this one. STEM degree, London job, Good salary going to very good salary, Live below your means and don't ramp spending with those increases, Rent for flexibility, Invest the difference -> 8 years on = £850k! 1 or 2 years more and dreams of Stockwell will be long forgotten. How much would someone pay for that advice?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Why should she? A member of the previous generation in her position wouldn't have bought in Chadwell Heath. They would have easily bought a flat in Stockwell.

She's a professional earning a good deal more than the average wage. If even she's struggling, how far will less wealthy members of her cohort have to lower their expectations? Should I expect my niece and nephew to settle for a converted garage? A cardboard box?

The correct response to crashing living standards is not to 'lower your expectations' but to protest the injustice. Or are we all to be homeless while smug, privileged homeowners tut about how it's all our own fault for arranging to be born too late?

Because if she buys what she appears to want to buy she'll put herself (and potentially her parents) on the hook for an unnecessarily large amount of debt by buying at the top of the market - which doesn't strike me as a good idea. Doing what made sense in the past no longer works, so doing something different is the way to go. If she is indeed saving £2,000 per month a she has lots of options yet all she seems to want to do is chain herself to a corporate job so she can pay the mortgage. Could it be that she's playing a game that isn't worth winning??? I reckon so.

HOLA4411

Because if she buys what she appears to want to buy she'll put herself (and potentially her parents) on the hook for an unnecessarily large amount of debt by buying at the top of the market - which doesn't strike me as a good idea. Doing what made sense in the past no longer works, so doing something different is the way to go. If she is indeed saving £2,000 per month a she has lots of options yet all she seems to want to do is chain herself to a corporate job so she can pay the mortgage. Could it be that she's playing a game that isn't worth winning??? I reckon so.

These house prices are not putting her off.

If her parents choose to put their money in, they choose to help her buy at these prices.

She also wants to get it out as a rental, on my first read of article, to rent it out to probably one of the hpc excuse-givers, who prefer to blame everyone else for people's active decisions in markets other than the people actively making the decisions (to buy at ever higher crazy prices / BTL etc).

If it were me she'd buy and we'd have the HPC, and a crash, and both purchase property and her parents own home would hit the market, with few buyers left, and so give opportunity to renter savers to finally buy.

However from 2008 I saw how many HPCers react. They call for bailout because 'she just wanted a home' and 'media' - so it's not her fault it's banks or politicians and media and 'just wanted a home' - "begin the QE, we need reflation and another house price doubling to save the victims".

You can't even acknowledge that people are choosing to buy at ever higher prices/debt from their own free-will / choice, vs these house prices, where even HPI £millions free-ride over 25 years doesn't tempt out sellers, with inventory on market so low.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Sympathy extended to as far as the bit out about her wanting to be a landlord. I can't understand the mentality of these people. We have a national obsession developing where the pinnacle in life is buying a property to mug another one of your countrymen off with. Its disgusting. I long for the day where a hard day's work once again becomes the road to riches. Seems like a fantasy land at the moment (and how odd it is to say that).

I disagree with that bit, it is fully developed, what comes next is the bit where those too thick to see what is coming get the shock of their lives. Stay in popcorn.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

A management consultant who can't think a little differently/creatively than the herd. Who'd be prepared to pay for that?

How about this one. STEM degree, London job, Good salary going to very good salary, Live below your means and don't ramp spending with those increases, Rent for flexibility, Invest the difference -> 8 years on = £850k! 1 or 2 years more and dreams of Stockwell will be long forgotten. How much would someone pay for that advice?

Crazy talk... :)

HOLA4416

She an engineering masters graduate and expects to be able to buy a decent place in London :lol::lol: - wishful thinking.

Always remember that when they say there's a shortage of engineers in the UK they mean a shortage of cheap engineers (not that they aren't cheap enough already) to slave for the bankers especially in London.

Ah but she's gone into management consultancy and still can't afford one now - how wrecked is that.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4417

I disagree with that bit, it is fully developed, what comes next is the bit where those too thick to see what is coming get the shock of their lives. Stay in popcorn.

Thanks. I needed that.

It is certainly not developing in the sense that it is just beginning. Its been going on a long time and it is definitely in the destructive later phase of the obsession.

Edited by Sawitcoming

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

You can't even acknowledge that people are choosing to buy at ever higher prices/debt from their own free-will / choice, vs these house prices, where even HPI £millions free-ride over 25 years doesn't tempt out sellers, with inventory on market so low.

You still seem to overlook the point that even though someone may be prepared to pay an ever higher price it is the lenders willingness to lend at those ever higher prices that is driving the increase. In this case she can't get the mortgage she requires so she cannot drive the price higher. It may well turn out that this is an indicator that prices will not be able to keep increasing.

On another issue, I've never been to Chadwell Heath, I've driven through Stockwell, and it didn't seem to be a very appealing part of London. I would think Chadwell Heath would be a more pleasant place to live.

Edited by sleepwello'nights

HOLA4422

You have a point about doing something different. But I don't think taking out a large amount of debt to buy a flat she doesn't like in an area she doesn't want to live in is any kind of solution.

Circumstances have changed, but people still need somewhere to live, and in exchange for 25 years of toil some of us still want to live in nice houses. If she decides to do 'something different' Jessica should be out campaigning for a real solution to the housing crisis. A one bedroom flat in Stockwell should not cost 300k, and someone earning what she apparently earns shouldn't have the trouble she is having.

The fact we've reached this ridiculous point - living standards destroyed in just one generation - is a massive failure on the part of this country. It can't be unsolvable. If asking for the same chance at decent living conditions that our parents had is too much to expect then I give up.

HOLA4423

On another issue, I've never been to Chadwell Heath, I've driven through Stockwell, and it didn't seem to be a very appealing part of London. I would think Chadwell Heath would be a more pleasant place to live.

Stockwell is appealing because until about two years ago it was a vaguely affordable (i.e. you could get a flat for quarter of a million) location with a zone 2 tube station. It was 'up-and-coming', and south of the river around Stockwell/Clapham/Norwood is now a very trendy place to live, no matter how rough it might look or once have been. I know a bunch of professional people earning good salaries who set themselves up down that way. Now, of course, the London house price escalator has done its work and ensured that it's completely unaffordable after just a few more months of crazy price rises.

Even Brixton has been gentrified out of reach of anyone except Russian oligarchs, these days.

HOLA4424

Stockwell is a total crap hole, or at least it was the last time I was there. The idea that a young professional on well above the average wage should lower her expectations from a one-bedder there is frankly the sort of crap that the boomers come out with. Really? Save 2 grand a month for five years, sign up to a mortgage that will take half her wages for most of the rest of her working life, and lower her expectations from a one-bedder in Stockwell? I really do despair.

You obviously don't know Stockwell. There are some very nice/streets properties, you just need to look a bit further than outside the tube station.

HOLA4425

Two bed flat with Garden in Chadwell Heath for £150k. Bus service direct to two Crossrail stations and a zone 4 central line station and close to a forest and green belt. And Boris is still in charge.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37928433.html?premiumA=true

Of course she can afford to buy in London - just not in Clapham. She just needs to lower her expectations.

Yes it's a bit of a dump but then so is Stockwell.

That flat is a shithole.