Expensive So Good, Not Vice Versa

Frank Hovis

HOLA441
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Baby buggies! Or pushchairs, as we used to call them. Daughter was given 2nd hand a Bugaboo thing, which was probably monstrously expensive. It is unbelievably heavy, bulky and complicated to use. I was wondering the other day what on earth happened to the good old McLaren type, which don't take up half a car and fold up small in a trice, with one hand. And lo, they are still available, though maybe a bit fancier than in our day.

The one I'm going to get, for my own baby minding use if they don't want it, has fantastic reviews, at least 2 of which are from grandparents saying they couldn't stand the heavy, bulky, effing complicated and expensive things their daughters had.

Not just me, then. Mind you my daughter, who I don't mind admitting is not great with anything mechanical, is not enamoured of the monster thing either. The other night we took a taxi home from a restaurant - half the wretched thing went in the boot, while the driver had to put the other bit on the front seat.

HOLA444

Baby buggies! Or pushchairs, as we used to call them. Daughter was given 2nd hand a Bugaboo thing, which was probably monstrously expensive.

Silver Cross! My earliest memory is looking up from the pram at some dangling ornaments. Last for ever. I just wished they had made a V8.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Baby buggies! Or pushchairs, as we used to call them....probably monstrously expensive. It is unbelievably heavy, bulky and complicated to use. I was wondering ....

How about one of these ? Stuff a bit of polystyrene down the sides to maintain child upright.

41eIMrnLgzL._SY450_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabichi-130990-Lemongrass-Shopping-Trolley/dp/B00CRXSIN4/ref=sr_1_2/278-2636398-1860402?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1444648573&sr=1-2

HOLA4410

I'm getting older, and have at last got a bed with a mattress. The sleeping bag on the floor was getting too difficult.

I'm getting older, and have at last got a bed with a mattress. The sleeping bag on the floor was getting too difficult.

Upwardly mobile, eh?....

HOLA4411

Just no.

Champagne beats Cava every day of the week. Bollinger, Taittinger, Pol Roger ... all exception and well worth the cost.

Really?

I was given two bottles of Bollinger by my boss when I got married.

It was nice, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't tell you anything that made it better than any other fizzy wine I've tried.

HOLA4412

Really?

I was given two bottles of Bollinger by my boss when I got married.

It was nice, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't tell you anything that made it better than any other fizzy wine I've tried.

I'd agree with this. I just don't get the whole champagne thing at all. I'm not a lover of any wine, particularly as I've got older. It all tastes like acid to me but I've never been able to tell the difference when having champagne at weddings etc. Give me half a Worthington's creamflow any day.

HOLA4413

Diamonds.

Total waste of money except in extremely exceptional cases. Could most people tell the difference between diamonds and cut glass? Probably not. Nor are diamonds scarce - their international supply is tightly controlled by De Beers to maintain prices. Ever tried to sell a diamond ring to a jeweller? They're just not interested as it really doesn't have a trade value anywhere like its retail value. I mean, diamonds are used to cover drill bits on oil rigs. The technology exists to turn a lump of coal into a diamond. The whole industry is ridiculous and if you do a bit of digging you'll find that De Beers largely manufactured the entire demand in the early 20th Century by handing out sparklers to recently engaged Hollywood starlets. Oh yes, diamond engagement rings were a marketing invention too. Eternity rings? Made up in the 1950/60 to soak up an over-supply of small Soviet diamonds.

HOLA4414

I'd agree with this. I just don't get the whole champagne thing at all. I'm not a lover of any wine, particularly as I've got older. It all tastes like acid to me but I've never been able to tell the difference when having champagne at weddings etc. Give me half a Worthington's creamflow any day.

Ee by gum!

Archived