House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Expensive So Good, Not Vice Versa

To start with a good so expensive item: genuine top designer label clothes. Top quality materials, great cut, look good and long lasting. I buy really good suits and they look fantastic and are as comfy as pyjamas.

But expensive so good is a longer list:

Champagne - not up to the standard of a decent cava IMO but up to hundreds of pounds a bottle, people buy it because it's expensive.

Caviar - I really like this (I know lots of people don't) but I prefer anchovy fillets for the real essence of luxury fish. One costs hundreds, one pence.

It's purely conspicuous consumption IMO. Which goes all the way back to Britain just before the Roman invasion where the price of an amphora of Roman wine was a slave. So if you were drinking, and particularly sharing, Roman wine you were clearly extremely wealthy.

That the wine may have not been a patch on the local brews wasn't the point.

Expensive so good goes back a long way.

Top end audio stuff ain't worth it.

You can get very good secondhand coats/jackets from the charity shops. Amazing what people get rid of.

Anything with an 'i' prefix.

or an 'e' prefix?

To start with a good so expensive item: genuine top designer label clothes. Top quality materials, great cut, look good and long lasting. I buy really good suits and they look fantastic and are as comfy as pyjamas.

Champagne - not up to the standard of a decent cava IMO but up to hundreds of pounds a bottle, people buy it because it's expensive.

Caviar - I really like this (I know lots of people don't) but I prefer anchovy fillets for the real essence of luxury fish. One costs hundreds, one pence.

It's purely conspicuous consumption IMO. Which goes all the way back to Britain just before the Roman invasion where the price of an amphora of Roman wine was a slave. So if you were drinking, and particularly sharing, Roman wine you were clearly extremely wealthy.

Someone somewhere is saying cava is a waste of money when tapwater or Basics Lager is just as good.

What people choose to spend their money on and how they derive pleasure from it is a very personal and subjective thing, and not worth getting hung up about.

Someone somewhere is saying cava is a waste of money when tapwater or Basics Lager is just as good.

What people choose to spend their money on and how they derive pleasure from it is a very personal and subjective thing, and not worth getting hung up about.

This of course if very true.....freedom is to spend your money how you feel fit.

More to the point is so many are sold on labels,brands, advertising and do not try other things that very often are far superior but not so well known......when we buy names we are paying for the money it cost promoting that name....the very best things are often so good they do not have to be advertised.

Also people can look to be stupid paying over the odds for stuff, when other similar but not so well known stuff is both better and cheaper.....a fool and their money are easily parted...DYOR.

I guess because cost is a function of the cost of production, scarcity and desirability.

Water is highly desirable, but cheap to produce and abundant so no great value.

Champagne is somewhat desirable, but scarce and somewhat expensive to produce.. Higher value.

The fact that cost is not directly related to quality is demonstrated very well with fish.. Salmon vs cod and the cost reversal.

One is no more or less desirable than before, but abundance and cost to produce has changed.

This is evident in the way that certain foods used to be for the peasants (oysters and lobster spring to mine) but, once they became relatively scarce, were then luxury items.

Mattresses are a good example.

You can pay £10ks for a mattress with Hungarian camel tufting and gold laced springs.

Not necessarily any more comfortable, but you are paying for the increased cost of production and probably the marketing to convince you you needed those things in the first place.

Mattresses are a good example.

You can pay £10ks for a mattress with Hungarian camel tufting and gold laced springs.

Not necessarily any more comfortable, but you are paying for the increased cost of production and probably the marketing to convince you you needed those things in the first place.

I'm getting older, and have at last got a bed with a mattress. The sleeping bag on the floor was getting too difficult.

Yes, me too.

Scotmid special just now - own brand £6.99

Quality.

I'm getting older, and have at last got a bed with a mattress. The sleeping bag on the floor was getting too difficult.

If I insist the old bag sleeps on the floor she becomes quite difficult as well.

Anyone else read this as mistresses first time?

We live in a World of Innuendo, and spelling mistakes on OT. :blink:

Yeah, fillet steak, what's the point of that?

Give me a 33% meat content pork banger any day. Reminds me of growing up when all we had to sustain us was a sniff of the butcher's apron.

Daughter had her big wedding do in France (Burgundy) and we had the local version of fizz, Cremant. A lot cheaper than Champagne and just as well since we got through an awful lot of it. Caterer had said the amount allowed was 'tres genereux' but evidently he was not familiar with the fizz-quaffing abilities of hordes of very international guests. Brother in law was kind enough to shoot off to the local cave for reinforcements. Don't know why you never see Cremant here, or maybe you do and I've just never noticed.

A good whisky is definitely worth the money, life's too short to drink crap booze!

Im a beginner at that game....some say a JW Black is the blue's equal but 25% the price...in comparing value...others say the blue is the ultimate whisky, but a beginner like me probably wouldnt notice.

Im a beginner at that game....some say a JW Black is the blue's equal but 25% the price...in comparing value...others say the blue is the ultimate whisky, but a beginner like me probably wouldnt notice.

Aye, you want an Islay single malt. Tastes like creosote, er, in a way, but I think it's class. Very peaty. Lovely