House Price Crash Forum

Book

Steppenpig

HOLA441

There was some Israeli author on BOOKtalk a few months ago who had an interesting book out, but I can't remember exactly what it was about, it might have been about our tendency to form into groups with like minded outlooks, like religions, but maybe it wasn't, anyway, could someone go into Waterstones and ask what it was called, as there isn't a branch near me and I want to order it on Amazon. Thanks. It was sort of medium sized. I did google.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Medium-sized you say.

Hum. Was it green by any chance?

I remember somebody in "Porridge" read a green book.

I think we will have to make Mr Tulip our chief librarian.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm delighted that you got the reference Mr Pin.

It was Brian Glover.

"I read a book once. Green it were."

It always nice when somebody understands the reference. I feel some of mine fall on stony ground, and some other people's, I have to go to the library (or internet), before I have a clue what they are talking about. The joy of HPC OT. :blink:;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

If you want I can go and buy a medium sized book about any one of the following: tanks, planes, cars, trucks, quarry vehicles, tractors, planes, ships, traction engines, submarines, locomotives and you can borrow it when I've finished looking at the pictures.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I have a very unusual book you can have. The spine is on the right hand side, and the writing is upside-down. I can't read it.

This is surprisingly common and symptomatic IMHO of a wider malaise within the British printing industry. Every few weeks I find myself throwing away the local paper because the idiots at the printers have printed it upside down.

HOLA4417

It always nice when somebody understands the reference. I feel some of mine fall on stony ground, and some other people's, I have to go to the library (or internet), before I have a clue what they are talking about. The joy of HPC OT. :blink:;)

Yes, of course, Stanley. I'd expect you to get all the references, quite assiduously.

I have a very unusual book you can have. The spine is on the right hand side, and the writing is upside-down. I can't read it.

You need to call the Helpdesk.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Never buy someone a book. They may already have one.

Not always true. I remember being invited back for a bit of a drink, with some friends to a house in Manchester once. It looked like a Barret show home. Nothing personal in it at all. No books, no stuff lying around, no magazines, no soul. I wonder if they were spies or undercover police? :unsure:

HOLA4420

Not always true. I remember being invited back for a bit of a drink, with some friends to a house in Manchester once. It looked like a Barret show home. Nothing personal in it at all. No books, no stuff lying around, no magazines, no soul. I wonder if they were spies or undercover police? :unsure:

Garden variety perverts probably

HOLA4421

It wasn't a Barrett show home Open Evening by any chance was it?

HOLA4422

Was that not an old definition of a chav: if your TV was bigger than your bookcase?

HOLA4423

Was that not an old definition of a chav: if your TV was bigger than your bookcase?

What is the definition of a "chav"? Not sure when I first heard the word. A rather condescending word, I think. Where did it come from?

And here's Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What is the definition of a "chav"? Not sure when I first heard the word. A rather condescending word, I think. Where did it come from?

And here's Wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

I think every area has it's own name for yobs..

I think the Scots call them Neds, in the East midlands I seem to remember it was "Scrotes".. then I think I first came across "Chav" in Manchester.

In Mexico they call them Cholos.

Personally I like Riff-Raff.

Archived