House Price Crash Forum

Film "trilogies / Series"

OnionTerror

HOLA441

I've seen the first REC...It was OK, despite reviews absolutely raving about it....The cornetto trilogy...It seemed to get worse...Shaun of the Dead is vastly superior to the other two.

There's also the Human Centipede trilogy...Apparently the new one contains a chain of 500 people..

All in the best possible taste. :blink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

The cornetto trilogy...It seemed to get worse...Shaun of the Dead is vastly superior to the other two..

Hot Fuzz was perhaps the best scripted out of the Cornetto films and had an amazing supporting cast (the quirky but draconian village watch).

World's End is where things kinda ran out of steam, like with most other third instalments, but had amazing fight scenes and I liked how they swapped things around with Frost and Pegg. It's downer globe ruining ending was hilarious, it had great late 80s early 90s nostalgia.

HOLA443

If its the American, David Fincher made GWADT, then its vastly inferior (IMHO) to the proper Swedish version...

I don't mind the Tom Clancy films - The Sum of all Fears is a bit cobblers though...

Notice how I intentionally left that one out of the post ;)

It's alright, nothing special.

On the other hand, Patriot Games and The Hunt For.. would probably be in my all time top 100 somewhere.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I would say Hunt for Red October is the best of the lot, by a long way, I think, largely, down to director John Mctiernan (Die Hard and Predator also) really knowing how to crank up the tension and suspense. I think it's hard to find many other films that do exactly what they're supposed to do so well. I would also say, out of the Clancy movies, like Die Hard, it has a big rewatchability factor.

I would definitely rate Clear and Present, over Patriot Games - by no means a bad film but not great. Clear and Present is a bit thin on action and not very edge of your seat. It does have some great lines and those sort of scenes like renting the helicopter, and making house calls on a Colombian drug lord always work well. A bit like those sort of US President visits a shop or has to thumb a ride scenes - although I guess The White House has cottoned on to how much the public like that sort of stuff.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I would say Hunt for Red October is the best of the lot, by a long way, I think, largely, down to director John Mctiernan (Die Hard and Predator also) really knowing how to crank up the tension and suspense. I think it's hard to find many other films that do exactly what they're supposed to do so well. I would also say, out of the Clancy movies, like Die Hard, it has a big rewatchability factor.

October was not dreadful but I found Sean Connery and Adam Baldwin were just there, with the first two Cornetto films, Shaun of Dead and Hot Fuzz, being much more re-watchable.

Iron Man was great at spawning the multi-billion dollar Marvel films but I found its last two films to mostly be either world building or moderately entertaining filler (like the PotC sequels).

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I watched the original Iron Man recently and was really underwhelmed, given the Rotten Tomatoes rating. In fact, I think Marvel have spawned rather a lot of sh1te film.

+1

As a kid I enjoyed superhero comics which is to be honest where the characters should have stayed

I am often amazed by how the Film industry has managed to take the concept and actually dumb it down losing nearly all the interesting elements on the way.

HOLA4411

+1

As a kid I enjoyed superhero comics which is to be honest is where the characters should have stayed

I am often amazed by how the Film industry has managed to take the concept and actually dumb it down losing nearly all the interesting elements on the way.

Its easy money for the studios, if they know that the latest spiderman or avengers film will bring in $500m..The audiences lap it up. I find all the marvel/dc films becoming incredibly tedious, and we allow hollywood to get away with it. Its getting to become "what pairing of superheroes can we put together today"...what next: Bagpuss vs Fingermouse?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Its easy money for the studios, if they know that the latest spiderman or avengers film will bring in $500m..The audiences lap it up. I find all the marvel/dc films becoming incredibly tedious, and we allow hollywood to get away with it. Its getting to become "what pairing of superheroes can we put together today"...what next: Bagpuss vs Fingermouse?

Wow, insanely tough movie critic crowd here - the Marvel Cinematic Universe must've done something right if they generated more box office within only a decade more than the Star Wars and Bond film franchises. And they translated their comic material well enough that it brought Robert Downey Jr back from career near death and established a believable alternate world setting over many successful films, with several TV shows growing in popularity recently, etc.

And comic book movies are not a guaranteed success when we had Man of Steel, The Green Lantern, and many X-Men or Spiderman sequels do average or poorly enough to kill off immediate sequels. The Fantastic Four never seemed to get off the ground - a couple films from the mid 00s were mediocre guilty pleasures and the current release has crashed spectacularly. Maybe an early sigh comic book movie bubble popping?

HOLA4416

Wow, insanely tough movie critic crowd here - the Marvel Cinematic Universe must've done something right if they generated more box office within only a decade more than the Star Wars and Bond film franchises. And they translated their comic material well enough that it brought Robert Downey Jr back from career near death and established a believable alternate world setting over many successful films, with several TV shows growing in popularity recently, etc.

And comic book movies are not a guaranteed success when we had Man of Steel, The Green Lantern, and many X-Men or Spiderman sequels do average or poorly enough to kill off immediate sequels. The Fantastic Four never seemed to get off the ground - a couple films from the mid 00s were mediocre guilty pleasures and the current release has crashed spectacularly. Maybe an early sigh comic book movie bubble popping?

For me, its hollywood becoming increasingly lazy...Its not just the superhero cobblers, with no real great depth of story, but its also the endless sequels, and remakes that aren't necessary...They just go with a very proven formula...they can't leave it alone...

Once you've seen films like Bad Boy Bubby, or Come and See, you can't go back to Hollywood.

HOLA4417

For me, its hollywood becoming increasingly lazy...Its not just the superhero cobblers, with no real great depth of story, but its also the endless sequels, and remakes that aren't necessary...They just go with a very proven formula...they can't leave it alone...

Once you've seen films like Bad Boy Bubby, or Come and See, you can't go back to Hollywood.

Generally the rule of thumb on franchises and sequels is that the follow up makes half the money of the original and so on throughout the franchise. The fact that the accountants can calculate the revenue with a degree of certainty is why there are so many part 2 and part 3 movies. It is is safer for the studios than making completely original pictures which may make nothing. The fact that the Bond books, Harry Potter, Marvel Comics etc have ready made material to support such franchises makes the job even easier. Moreover with something like the Bond Franchise once you have worked through the lot over several decades you can pass Go and start remaking them again. While studios do have superhero movies that bomb at the box office it usually takes a fair degree of incompetence by the film makers to achieve that end particularly with so much spectacular CGI now available. Usually the reason is the Director hates the actors who hate the script etc leading to an end result like the recent Fantastic Four debacle. Unfortunately the ability of such 'safe; material to generate revenue streams means more challenging or risky films often do not get made.

HOLA4418

Generally the rule of thumb on franchises and sequels is that the follow up makes half the money of the original and so on throughout the franchise. The fact that the accountants can calculate the revenue with a degree of certainty is why there are so many part 2 and part 3 movies. It is is safer for the studios than making completely original pictures which may make nothing. The fact that the Bond books, Harry Potter, Marvel Comics etc have ready made material to support such franchises makes the job even easier. Moreover with something like the Bond Franchise once you have worked through the lot over several decades you can pass Go and start remaking them again. While studios do have superhero movies that bomb at the box office it usually takes a fair degree of incompetence by the film makers to achieve that end particularly with so much spectacular CGI now available. Usually the reason is the Director hates the actors who hate the script etc leading to an end result like the recent Fantastic Four debacle. Unfortunately the ability of such 'safe; material to generate revenue streams means more challenging or risky films often do not get made.

I don't mind Bond, as one generally comes out roughly every three years or so, whereas there's typically several superhero films out during a summer. Transformers is one of the cynical pieces of filmmaking i've seen...Its all down to product placement, and who can get their product in the most prime spot in the shot...

There are good, independent (mainstreamish) films out there...I really liked Whiplash and Nightcrawler last year..although didn't really do spectacularly well at the box office..

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I don't mind Bond, as one generally comes out roughly every three years or so, whereas there's typically several superhero films out during a summer. Transformers is one of the cynical pieces of filmmaking i've seen...Its all down to product placement, and who can get their product in the most prime spot in the shot...

There are good, independent (mainstreamish) films out there...I really liked Whiplash and Nightcrawler last year..although didn't really do spectacularly well at the box office..

The Bond franchise has been carefully managed over the years to avoid precisely the overkill that afflicts most Hollywood franchises. They also have the knack of resurrecting the genre every times it looks about to die. I think also for all the fact the plots are unbelievable it still has some basis in reality rather than relying on magic or people with super powers . In Bond films the actor playing the lead and the personality of the villain is always more important than the special effects even in an age of CGI.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Always good for a laugh.

Also - somewhat trashy, but strangely compelling if you like comedy horror - the Final Destination ones.

I was surprised they made more than one of them. :blink:;) Didn't seem very "final"!

Leslie Nielson was always straight faced funny, and apparently a very nice bloke.

His last "serious" film was the 1957 "forbidden planet". :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Good choice.. did you see the live Quatermass that C4 did some years back? Though maybe my memory misleads me and I mixed it up with something else.

It was BBC4 I think. They broadcast it live, hence the lack of special effects - the alien was just suggested by sound effects. Probably unintentional but that echoed Nigel Kneale's also very spooky "The Stone Tapes", which is worth checking out. Also "The Year of the Sex Olympics", which predicted reality TV.

The final Quatermass, which ITV broadcast has just been restored and is out on blu-ray. That's good too, if bleak.

Basically Nigel Kneale is one of the greats!

Archived