House Price Crash Forum

Film "trilogies / Series"

OnionTerror

HOLA441

Can anyone suggest any good ones - and I'm not talking about pish like Transformers or anything like that. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a cracking one, and I found Mesrine to be excellent...

I've just got Pusher, which has got good write-up, but yet to have a delve on it, yet..

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

A few that spring to mind.. our tastes may not agree since I turned off "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" about half way through, tried to read the novel and gave up with that too. Yet, it is highly acclaimed, so I'm wrong, basically.

Films:

The original Tom Clancy ones - Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, The Hunt for Red October etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Clancy-DVD-Box-Special/dp/B00009V90J

The 'Back to the Future' trilogy is good fun

The Jason Bourne ones - contentious perhaps but I like them

TV:

Poirot, Marple, Cracker, Death in Paradise especially season one.

HOLA444

A few that spring to mind.. our tastes may not agree since I turned off "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" about half way through, tried to read the novel and gave up with that too. Yet, it is highly acclaimed, so I'm wrong, basically.

Films:

The original Tom Clancy ones - Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, The Hunt for Red October etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Clancy-DVD-Box-Special/dp/B00009V90J

The 'Back to the Future' trilogy is good fun

The Jason Bourne ones - contentious perhaps but I like them

TV:

Poirot, Marple, Cracker, Death in Paradise especially season one.

If its the American, David Fincher made GWADT, then its vastly inferior (IMHO) to the proper Swedish version...

I don't mind the Tom Clancy films - The Sum of all Fears is a bit cobblers though...

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I saw the James Bond GWADT at the cinema, what happened to the next 2 films?

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-trilogy-david-fincher/

Rumours are that two and three remade, and be merged into one film, then the last one, The Girl in the Spider's Web will be the last one...The 4th book is supposed to be out in the next couple of weeks...written by Steig Larsson's family friend...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Girl-Spiders-Millennium-Series/dp/0857059998

The three films were originally a nine part mini series (called Millennium) and ran for around nine hours...Edited version of those films were then brought out...

HOLA448

Films:

Dire dire dire film. I think I turned off about a third of the way through, a plodding tedious film which bored me rigid.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Can anyone suggest any good ones - and I'm not talking about pish like Transformers or anything like that. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a cracking one, and I found Mesrine to be excellent...

I've just got Pusher, which has got good write-up, but yet to have a delve on it, yet..

If you like Kung fu movies, Fong Sai Yuk 1, 2 and 3 starring a young Jet Li are very enjoyable. Also Once upon a time in China 1-4.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Nolan Batman trilogy and the LOTR EEs (I've got the blu rays waiting).

I'm afraid I had to buy that, even though I had the DVDs. :wacko:

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I've a soft-spot for the Christopher Reeve 'Superman' movies.

And I would highly recommend the films made of the Irish writer Roddy Doyle's 'Barrytown Trilogy' - The Commitments, The Snapper and The Van are all quirky and funny in just the right kind of way.

Or why not try a boxed set of a particular actor or film genre instead of a series of sequals.

I picked up a DVD set of Jimmy Cagney's four finest gangster films for a tenner a while back and loved it. It featured Angels With Dirty Faces, Public Enemy, The Roaring Twenties and the classic White Heat.

In fact, I'm going upstairs now to grab the set to watch again now..!

"Top of the world ma...!"

:)

XYY

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

If you like Kevin Smith's other stuff I think you'll like it. Randall gives a good summary of LOTR, which seems relevant here:

Still nice and dry, I was worried that kevin smith might have lost his backbone for the humour in the first one but still looks bob on.

HOLA4423

Time Bandits, Brazil and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen have been described as a triology, about the passage of an escapist through childhood, adulthood and old age. The first two made a big impression on me.

These I have. Very good indeed. :P You can come round and watch them with me since you are in Bristol.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

[REC] (avoid the last one)

Hostel

Three flavours cornetto (shaun of the dead etc)

The discworld collection

Quick stop collection (mallrats, clerks etc)

Aware the last three aren't really trilogies in the classic sense..

I've seen the first REC...It was OK, despite reviews absolutely raving about it....The cornetto trilogy...It seemed to get worse...Shaun of the Dead is vastly superior to the other two.

There's also the Human Centipede trilogy...Apparently the new one contains a chain of 500 people..

Archived