House Price Crash Forum

Uk Nightclubs Closing At 'alarming Rate', Industry Figures Suggest

HOLA441

My wife had a 40s themed party for her 40th, everyone had to dress up and we had a swing band. In fairness it was good fun and all our aged relatives loved it.

But I'm not into 40s music and dressing up, I'm into raving. I was thinking of holding my own rave for my 40th but I only have about 5 close friends and only two of them have ever been clubbing with me. One of them is my younger brother.

So you're on mate. Expect a PM in spring 2019. We'll have it.

Its on.

Of course I can't just tell my wife in 2019 that I'm going to beefa with some strangers off the internet so we'll need some warm-ups before then.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

M'dear friend Mark has the right idea but he still prefers slightly histrionic Trance to what gets me off, I.E. a belting bassline with any kind of funky/ breakbeat drumline to really get your hips swinging. Even a classic Four To The Floor is fine as long as it's got something off-tempo to swing it along.

I have the 12" of that. You need to look through those record boxes ;)

Enjoy..

Have the 12" of that, too.. bonkers, that is..

HOLA443

Its on.

Of course I can't just tell my wife in 2019 that I'm going to beefa with some strangers off the internet so we'll need some warm-ups before then.

I'll keep my eyes open for any retro raves going on round here and PM you! :)

HOLA444

I haven't been clubbing in years. Rave - hurry along with the "turning 40" bit and organise a true HPV rave. I don't mean a meet up at a pub in Hamphire, but a full-on rave for those who still have the energy. Or the willpower.

That clubbing scene was so special. Almost like a theme park for adults. Leave the normal everyday world behind as you enter another. Everyone is out to have a good time. Nobody is there to cause trouble. That "release" at the end of the week. Nobody is "judging". The music is phenomenal.

As captured so well in the lyrics to this one.

Times I shall never forget.

HOLA445
HOLA446

There's a blunt question ;)

Back in those clubbing days - no.

None of our group did. I could, and can still, "lose myself" dancing, stone cold sober. I would regularly have people coming up to me asking where I got the pills and clearly disbelieving me when I said I was sober.

Edit to add: dance music releases serotonin in me naturally. I get the shivers down the spine, the energy, the ability to detach and disconnect anyway. Nowhere near as much as that "loved up" feeling, nor do I find myself chewing my fillings out the next day, but clubbing was always my "thing" over pub nights and very special, a real experience in itself. I don't have the inhibitions that prevent so many from dancing in front of others.

This is true....music is the drug ....no other drug required, the sounds release dopamine that create that high feeling of elation. ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/jan/09/why-we-love-music-research

HOLA447

This is true....music is the drug ....no other drug required, the sounds release dopamine that create that high feeling of elation. ;)

Not when I try playing it. It can lead to constipation. :wacko:

HOLA448
HOLA449

In the experiment, participants chose instrumental pieces of music that gave them goosebumps, but which had no specific memories attached to them. Lyrics were banned because the researchers did not want their results confounded by any associations participants might have had to the words they heard.

The pieces chosen ranged from classical to rock, punk and electronic dance music. "One piece of music kept coming up for different people Barber's Adagio for Strings," said Salimpoor. It was the favourite classical piece and a remix of the tune was the most popular in the dance, trance and techno genres.

The original

The William Orbit dance version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYFKYMZ3fsU

Maybe controversial since it was probably one of the biggest trance hits of the period, but the dance version doesn't actually work for me despite being nicely done. The reason being that I interpret the original as a moving but ultimately rather sad piece of music so it doesn't benefit from having the dance treatment.

I can well believe the research. My all time favourite tune, which is an up tempo high energy Italian dance track, causes shivers down my spine, that creeping flesh feeling, and makes me burst into tears spontaneously at one particular point, all when sober.

An odd reaction to something so intensely euphoric, but that's how my emotions react to that and certain other songs, maybe more powerfully than some other people? No associations, just the melody itself.

HOLA4410

Great thread. Sort of a shame I don't have any pics from clubbing with friends in the mid to late nineties, whereas these days there would be hundreds of camera pics shared on facebook etc. the day after (double edged sword)

Leaving school we were into indie music mainly, but found ourselves starting clubbing at Piccadilly 21's in Manchester (Dance/Chart music) and sometimes 'Royales'. Come on who used to go? there was a smart dress code, I remember us all wearing Ben Sherman shirts in some dodgy pastel colours, and black pinstripe trousers!

By the late nineties we had split into smaller groups, and returned to our roots so to speak, going to indie/rock clubs instead, ditching the dodgy shirts. 42nd Street, 5th Avenue and The Venue IIRC.

Good times, we barely saw any trouble and didn't get too drunk.

Thinking about it, 21's and Royales have both shut, they were both large buildings, Royales previously being a grand theatre, so possibly causalities of the price of land/price of property/developers?

HOLA4411

Great thread. Sort of a shame I don't have any pics from clubbing with friends in the mid to late nineties, whereas these days there would be hundreds of camera pics shared on facebook etc. the day after (double edged sword)

Leaving school we were into indie music mainly, but found ourselves starting clubbing at Piccadilly 21's in Manchester (Dance/Chart music) and sometimes 'Royales'. Come on who used to go? there was a smart dress code, I remember us all wearing Ben Sherman shirts in some dodgy pastel colours, and black pinstripe trousers!

By the late nineties we had split into smaller groups, and returned to our roots so to speak, going to indie/rock clubs instead, ditching the dodgy shirts. 42nd Street, 5th Avenue and The Venue IIRC.

Good times, we barely saw any trouble and didn't get too drunk.

Thinking about it, 21's and Royales have both shut, they were both large buildings, Royales previously being a grand theatre, so possibly causalities of the price of land/price of property/developers?

I moved to Manchester in September 1997, 3 months after the Hacienda closed so I can't even claim to have ever been there either.

I still go to 42's occasionally, embarrassing isn't it? Can't remember the last time I went to 5th Ave though. The Venue was always my favourite. Even more of a shit hole and with far more of an alternative edge than the other 2 and hence far better music. Theres a club near Albert Square now called the Venue. I went once a couple of years ago and whether intended to or not, it was a compete dive very much in the spirit of the now demolished predecessor. Whether that was intentional or not, I had a great time.

One of my best mates in those days was a punk ska metal head. I managed to avoid Jillys for the most part but did spend a period regularly "dancing my docs off" at the Ritz on a Monday night.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I moved to Manchester in September 1997, 3 months after the Hacienda closed so I can't even claim to have ever been there either.

I still go to 42's occasionally, embarrassing isn't it? Can't remember the last time I went to 5th Ave though. The Venue was always my favourite. Even more of a shit hole and with far more of an alternative edge than the other 2 and hence far better music. Theres a club near Albert Square now called the Venue. I went once a couple of years ago and whether intended to or not, it was a compete dive very much in the spirit of the now demolished predecessor. Whether that was intentional or not, I had a great time.

One of my best mates in those days was a punk ska metal head. I managed to avoid Jillys for the most part but did spend a period regularly "dancing my docs off" at the Ritz on a Monday night.

I've not been to 42's or 5th Ave for about 5 years. Agree the original 'Venue' was our favourite club, when they ripped out the sticky carpets it was just this plain black underground box, as you say the music was brilliant with some of the early indie stuff they played..(got me into the pixies) we were never off the dance floor. It was a very laid back place there were always people sat down in the corner of the dance floor, we got a bit of a bollocking one night from the manager for having a bit of a water fight! We tried to go to the 'new' Venue shortly after it opened, we queued outside for ages but for some reason the bouncer took a dislike to my mates work colleague (who had said virtually nothing all night) and refused us all entry! I was gutted and I still haven't been back there.

We had a short phase of going to Jillys..some interesting creatures in there. I think I've only been to the Ritz a couple of times, but was good. There was a pub we used to go in first (Grand Central?) it had a jukebox..and another bar nearby under the arches? I missed out on the Hacienda as well.

More recently (well, 2-3 years ago) we've been to TV21 in the Northern Quarter, which is a bar on the ground floor and dance floor downstairs, reminded me a bit of The Venue/42's/5th Ave but smaller and quieter, is a good night and can recommend it.

Keep going to 42's - At 36 we've reached the stage now where my mates can't really be bothered with nights out (or can't get security clearance from the other half!)

HOLA4414

Drugs are seriously underrated in the right places at the right times in life.

In my opinion.

+1

From Google: these were our "haunts"..

Peach @ Camden Palace

maxresdefault.jpg

Freedom @ Bagleys

Ariel_at_bagleys_warehouse.jpg

The memories :) Wonder if I'm in the pictures somewhere.

Sadly Bagleys no longer exists and Peach moved on, to Vauxhall, I think.

If there were to be enough people interested, I'd consider organising an HPC clubbing night, but it would have to be "down south" - do drop me a PM or reply if that would interest you..

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

+1

From Google: these were our "haunts"..

Peach @ Camden Palace

maxresdefault.jpg

Freedom @ Bagleys

Ariel_at_bagleys_warehouse.jpg

The memories :) Wonder if I'm in the pictures somewhere.

Sadly Bagleys no longer exists and Peach moved on, to Vauxhall, I think.

If there were to be enough people interested, I'd consider organising an HPC clubbing night, but it would have to be "down south" - do drop me a PM or reply if that would interest you..

Is that the Ashley Madison annual meet up for members? :blink:

Archived