House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Uk Nightclubs Closing At 'alarming Rate', Industry Figures Suggest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/33713015/uk-nightclubs-closing-at-alarming-rate-industry-figures-suggest

Nearly half the UK's nightclubs have shut their doors in just 10 years, according to figures seen by Newsbeat.

The Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR), which represents venues, says in 2005 there were 3,144 clubs and this is now down to 1,733.

Chief Executive Kate Nicholls reckons that in some towns "they are gone for good and we're never going to get them back".

But people like Rudimental have told us that clubbing trends "go in cycles".

Ministry of Sound is an iconic name in clubbing, where many of the great DJs of the 1980s and 1990s made their names.

But its boss, Lohan Presencer, agrees that UK clubbing is in a "challenging place" in 2015.

"I don't think the number of people going clubbing at the weekend is any different to where it was 20 years ago, but I do think they are going to different places," he told Newsbeat.

"With the advent of later pub opening hours, the smoking ban, student tuition fees and the squeeze that a lot people are under financially since the recession," he explains, "I think people are finding different ways and different places to go out."

Not surprising nightclubs are closing the costs of the basics like rent is a lot of money out of low paid work which most young people have. Forking out every Friday and Sat is extremely expensive and it seems that they are forgoing it.

Many young people are routinely brainwashed into doing stupid things to belong to the tribe and/or look for a mate. But a ritual of moving the body like zombies to the sound of a simulated pneumatic drill was never going to last forever.

I'm not sure it's entirely to do with the costs involved and lack of money of the yoof - they spend an awful lot of time on social media instead, this is an entirely new phenomenon - they simply don't need to go to nightclubs to meet the opposite sex any more

Many young people are routinely brainwashed into doing stupid things to belong to the tribe and/or look for a mate. But a ritual of moving the body like zombies to the sound of a simulated pneumatic drill was never going to last forever.

As a married old git of 36, I miss it quite a lot. And I never even took E.

The more chavy types still go clubbing, the more hipster 20-somethings are down the real ale pub drinking craft beer (or down some cocktail bar type place). In city centres these pubs will have 1 or 2 am licences, so no need to go to a nightclub selling rubbish beer and playing rubbish music to have a few beers after 11pm.

The rise of chain nightclubs like liquid and envy was probably the beginning of the end.

I'm not sure it's entirely to do with the costs involved and lack of money of the yoof - they spend an awful lot of time on social media instead, this is an entirely new phenomenon - they simply don't need to go to nightclubs to meet the opposite sex any more

Bingo

Why bother with nightclubs when there's tinder/facespace etc

Add that to beer pricing back to 2006 levels in supermarkets and then add in the ease of access to illegal/legal highs on the high street or Silk Road and it's a wonder there's still half the nightclubs left.

Teetotal-ism is also at an all time high for under 25's. Whether that's the huge burden the youth feel in terms of housing/education/career/debt or it's ready access to other substances I couldn't say, maybe a mix of both.

Could be just that under 25s have simply got better things to do with their time than piss it up the wall in a shit nightclub on a Saturday night.

As a married old git of 36, I miss it quite a lot. And I never even took E.

Nothing quite like being in a club with decent house music and a postiive vibe. A total different atmosphere to the "beered up" disco where you have to watch every move for fear of offending the prat who can't handle the shandy and wants a fight.

The more chavy types still go clubbing, the more hipster 20-somethings are down the real ale pub drinking craft beer (or down some cocktail bar type place). In city centres these pubs will have 1 or 2 am licences, so no need to go to a nightclub selling rubbish beer and playing rubbish music to have a few beers after 11pm.

The rise of chain nightclubs like liquid and envy was probably the beginning of the end.

Nearly right. The chavvu sort still go clubbing .... after they are divorced and packing a few extra pounds.

Everynight is grab a Granny night.

I really enjoyed going clubbing wen I was 17. By the time I was 19 or 20 it had become tedious.

God knows how much it would cost now. It used to cost close to £100 then, including taxis.

I really like Hipsters. I feel kind of pre-Hipster from back from the 1990s well before it was invented. Most of the new hire young guys in my firm are Hipsters and they are easy to get on with and have a very professional attitude. Hipsters are generally clever, witty, individual and exercise good taste. I'd hire a hipster any day. My gut feeling is that they are mostly a sensible (always make it into the office), hardworking group who probably circa 2035 will be doing some good stuff and generally running things. Certainly they are the best of the Millennial generation, the bulk of the rest of which are generally selfie obsessed, shallow and stupid. We will probably see our first Hipster Prime Minister sometime between 2030 and 2040.

I really enjoyed going clubbing wen I was 17. By the time I was 19 or 20 it had become tedious.

God knows how much it would cost now. It used to cost close to £100 then, including taxis.

And that's before the taxes.

Putting all that aside, this thread has convinced me to dust off my dancing shoes.

I really like Hipsters. I feel kind of pre-Hipster from back from the 1990s well before it was invented. Most of the new hire young guys in my firm are Hipsters and they are easy to get on with and have a very professional attitude. Hipsters are generally clever, witty, individual and exercise good taste. I'd hire a hipster any day. My gut feeling is that they are mostly a sensible (always make it into the office), hardworking group who probably circa 2035 will be doing some good stuff and generally running things. Certainly they are the best of the Millennial generation, the bulk of the rest of which are generally selfie obsessed, shallow and stupid. We will probably see our first Hipster Prime Minister sometime between 2030 and 2040.

Beards. No.

'Carved' beards. Double No.

Beards. No.

'Carved' beards. Double No.

It's the beards combined with an immaculate hair style that winds me up... hey look at me I'm so laid back I grow a beard, but I still spend an hour in front of the mirror every morning getting my hair to look just so.

I really like Hipsters. I feel kind of pre-Hipster from back from the 1990s well before it was invented.

Jesus christ :lol:

Google hipster +before it was cool

I hate hipsters

Jesus christ :lol:

Google hipster +before it was cool

I hate hipsters

Single cog bikes make some sense. Technological simplicity, light weight, reliable. I'm fine with that.

But taking manual typewriters to cafes in place of a laptop to do some work! Jeeeez. Mental.

Single cog bikes make some sense. Technological simplicity, light weight, reliable. I'm fine with that.

But taking manual typewriters to cafes in place of a laptop to do some work! Jeeeez. Mental.

It's a sprocket not a cog :-P

I'd reply to you on my typewriter but it won't connect to the wifi in this brioche bun burger cafe I'm in.

It's a sprocket not a cog :-P

I'd reply to you on my typewriter but it won't connect to the wifi in this brioche bun burger cafe I'm in.

Real hipsters don't use smilies, they probably signal to each other with beard movements or something instead. Over Skype.

Real hipsters don't use smilies, they probably signal to each other with beard movements or something instead. Over Skype.

:D:D:D:D:D

Hey hang on I thought the yoof where all out drinking and clubbing thats why the can't afford houses ?

The actual facts are clubs and pubs are closing.Luton used to have an active night-life back 95-05 what with the University here.Now pubs are closing and the biggest nightclubs have closed or are closing down.The money just isn't there for people to go out drinking any more.I can remember queing to get into the student

themed pub or the nightclubs now you walk straight in.

I will concur with a previous comment that social media does play a part.Time was you went to a club paid stupid prices to get in and drink in hope of pulling.now you just open up tinder on your phone and away you go.

To be honest, the pubs are finished too. Not even the 'off down to the pub for last orders' types, to escape the wives for an hour! A lot of pubs if they weren't legally obliged to be open as Public Houses would simply not be open.

Quite sad to see that side of social interaction going. Times have changed and costs are too high.