House Price Crash Forum

The Virtual High Street

beerhunter

HOLA441

In the press over the past few months, there has been quite a bit about the lack of high street Christmas spending and that Internet shopping is taking over.

Having just done my Christmas shopping online (I've done most it online for the past 5 years), I've noticed one thing:

Last year, deliveries were 5-7 days after placing the order; this year it's been 12-36 hours (John Lewis, Argos and Dabs).

So either the online stores / couriers have lots of spare capacity (i.e. lots of temp help over Christmas), or they aren't as busy as the reports say?

Does anyone work for an Internet retailer / courier or have any insider info?

HOLA442
HOLA443

beerhunter,

Business Post issued a profit warning not long ago. I think they were particularly hit by catalgue trade. The details are in the archives.

Thanks for the heads up OnlyMe... I missed those threads. In fact the story has moved on since the posts I found: Paul Carvell, chief executive of troubled parcels firm Business Post, has resigned

I've been trying to remember the couriers used, I think it was a combination of Omega and Parcel Force (who are not known for their speedy delivery.. I used to share a house with one of their drivers, so I know).

Anybody else shop online last year and this year? How does it compare, and what have been your experiences been?

--

Edited for speeling ;)

Edited by beerhunter

HOLA444
HOLA445

Whatever you do dont buy anything online from Micro Direct.They are the worst company Ive ever dealt with.The after sales service is awful.They have nearly put me off buying online they are so bad.

Ebuyer, yes it is a recommendation, no I'm not affiliated. :rolleyes:

Buy nearly everything electrical online now, more often buying it abroad too. If anything the level of problems seems to be falling in general as word spreads so quickly about bad internet suppliers that they quickly fall by the wayside.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Bought from M&S online last night. I will report back on delivery time, but what I did notice was that the were selling out of certain cloths sizes on many items! Christmas is still over a wekk away! I wonder if they expected things to be worse than they are?

That would be a double whammy! :)

HOLA448

I own Interhike.com (an internet retailer of camping and outdoor equipment, cheap plug, I know) and, although I've not done the figures yet, it doesn't *feel* any busier than last year. I think a much higher proportion of sales are now done on the internet over last year. However, because we a sliding very rapidly into a major recession, sales in general are down significantly. I've noticed a lot of my competitor's bricks and mortar stores are closing down.

So in summary, I think people are moving to online xmas shopping but buying less in general so internet shopping shouldn't see a strong growth, if any growth at all.

I also noticed that the January sales started a couple of weeks ago in a lot of places.

Bring it on!!!!!

MattLG

Edited by MattLG

HOLA449

Bought a fair few CD's and DVD's online and all arrived within 24-48 hours. One DVD had to come from Canada ordered Sunday arrived Friday. My daughter ordered lots of gear from ASOS but got email that they suspended operations due to the fire at Hemel Hempstead so not too sure if it will arrive before Xmas.

I bought a DVD recorder. I knew which model I wanted so used the internet to find the cheapest stockist and went in person to pick it up. Saving of GBP 99.

I'm also a sucker for eBay buying, small items only.

HOLA4410

nearly everything electrical online now, more often buying it abroad too.

Only me, Ive posed the question 'do you buy from abroad?' many times when you have started threads about the sad decline of British manufacturing and rise of outsourcing.

Ive always maintained that us consumers are the real villains, and your post merely serves to crystalise my belief. If you of all people, are buying abroad ..........

HOLA4411

Only me, Ive posed the question 'do you buy from abroad?' many times when you have started threads about the sad decline of British manufacturing and rise of outsourcing.

Ive always maintained that us consumers are the real villains, and your post merely serves to crystalise my belief. If you of all people, are buying abroad ..........

It depends on what they bought.

I've bought two DVDs from Canada this year, both of which are unavailable in the UK.

I think many of the high street shops only have themselves to blame. My wife ordered a book from Waterstones a few months ago. After a month she went to ask when it would arrive and was told 'dunno'. So she cancelled the order and bought it from play. They took a week to deliver it and even sent an email to apologise that it would take longer than the 3 days specified when she ordered it.

Similarly Game have been complaining about sales levels recently. My local game store is overpriced and has a pretty shoddy range. But pop into Gamestation and they are doing a roaring trade, they are competitively priced and have loads of unusual second hand games for sale.

HOLA4412

I think many of the high street shops only have themselves to blame.

UK workers demand all sorts of rights. It can be difficult to 'force' people to do thier job in a way that will produce totally customer focused service, as managers fear of being labelled a bully.

We all demand our employment rights but forget that such rights get in the way of delivering good service sometimes. At my local school a few teachers are off to have babies. All very nice, but not so nice for the children that keep having to get used new temporary teachers.

REGULATION HAS MANY COSTS. IMO the costs far outwiegh the supposed benefits.

HOLA4413

Does anyone work for an Internet retailer / courier or have any insider info?

I know from personal experience that some (well-known) internet retailers have seen record sales this month. Whether they're the exception or the rule is hard to say.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I own Interhike.com (an internet retailer of camping and outdoor equipment, cheap plug, I know) and, although I've not done the figures yet, it doesn't *feel* any busier than last year.

have you considered a 'hike' in prices.

B&Q are supposedly starting a blow out sale tomorrow

this didnt work for kwik fit in 04.

Edited by right_freds_dead

HOLA4417

People do realise the retail figures do include online retail?

Shopping at Empire Direct, Amazon, or wherever still counts so any overall decline in retail spending would include online shopping.

Of course, online shopping's taken a while to mature and go fully mainstream. My mum's had the net for years but it's only recently she's dared buy anything online. Also broadband has made it less of a painful experience.

HOLA4418

I'm a regular buyer of DVD's and computer games, I mainly use Amazon as I've always had good servivce with prompt delivery times. I can't say as I've noticed a quicker service now than I did five years ago when I first started buying online but I have noticed a improvement in the range of goods offered which have pulled me away from the high street and back to my keyboard. Why trudge around shops searching for what I want when I can search the net at home.

HOLA4419

This year we have bought about 80% of all our Christmas shopping online, worth about £1000 (one item £650 - I bought my wife a Sony laptop £200 cheaper than at PC World). All deliveries on time and usually within 2 days. No issues this year with parcels or post going missing and we have sent dozens of parcels using parcelforce/royal mail this autumn (got our blue ebay star :) ).

I use Microdirect about once a month, never had an issue with them and rarely find cheaper prices elsewhere but the couriers they use (Amtrak) are just rubbish. No, they are lying, lazy b*****ds. I get parcels delivered to my work address now so no problems recently. I think all companies seem to have the occasional off day and often don't know how to sort out themselves out quickly.

Can I 'big up' (:D) for great service in the last two weeks - SVCdirect for next day delivery of laptop (their couriers rang us to arrange a delivery within 8 hours of the order being placed), Laptops Direct (2 days to deliver but £80 cheaper than anyone else) and Myshowplates down in Milton Keynes who refunded money immediately I reported a problem, no quibble.