House Price Crash Forum

A Downside Of Renting

HOLA441

hiace,

i would future proof the school option for the kids shake..

Would make sure that the selection of the older means that the younger gets in (no matter where you live by then).

Regarding the landlady.. yes the situation is really shit.

But hey if it gets any worse, there are 20% PRS tenants and 20% social tenants who will complain.

RTID,

£ has dropped alot compared to $ lately. I wonder what will happen if Fed does raise rates in June...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

If the rent is below comparable rents in the area, and it goes up and is still below other rents, then you have a good deal.

if the landlord wants to increase the rent so that it matches other properties but the standard of your house is poorer, then you have two options

1) say the rent rise is unreasonable because the standard or accommodation is poor and negotiate a 'rate of inflation / deflation' change

2) say you will accept the rise but that will mean the property is poor compared to others and so you would like x, y and z fixed.

I was in the same situation 2 years ago and took option 2. I asked for double glazing, a new kitchen, and a shower for the bathroom. Landlord said he would be 'delighted' to do the kitchen and double glazing. I knew he wouldn't fit a shower as he doesn't believe in them - baths are 'proper' - so the shower was a purely sacrificial ask :-)

If you think any conversation may bring about an end in tenancy and you don't want to move then your hands are tied, unfortunately.

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA443

One further thought that may help. If you do accept a rent increase you may be able to negotiate remaining on a statutory periodic tenancy instead of signing for a new one year assured shorthold. There is provision for the landlord doing this in the 1988 act. As I recall it's in section 13. This would be a fairly small concession by the landlord, but it would be very helpful to you if you wish to buy a place, because you would have much more flexibility as to the date on which you move.

I would ignore some of the more emotive suggestions on here. Your interests are best served by working out what's best for you rather than what would cause most trouble for the landlord.

HOLA444

One further thought that may help. If you do accept a rent increase you may be able to negotiate remaining on a statutory periodic tenancy instead of signing for a new one year assured shorthold. There is provision for the landlord doing this in the 1988 act. As I recall it's in section 13. This would be a fairly small concession by the landlord, but it would be very helpful to you if you wish to buy a place, because you would have much more flexibility as to the date on which you move.

I would ignore some of the more emotive suggestions on here. Your interests are best served by working out what's best for you rather than what would cause most trouble for the landlord.

HOLA445

Update .... my wife and I have agreed that as long as rent doesn't go up by too much, we'll sign for another year... taking us to june ish 2016. Surely to god the madness will have ended by then?

Who knows? But it ought to reverse sometime. #2008.2

HOLA446
HOLA447

RTID,

£ has dropped alot compared to $ lately. I wonder what will happen if Fed does raise rates in June...

I'll be amazed if there is a rate rise this side of Autumn. More like December or ... 10 years from now

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

What are some of the 'more emotive' suggestions out of interest ?

Maybe weaken a few water pipe joints too after running the house as a cannabis farm for a year with new and removed partitions and holes in floors and ceilings for ventilation systems. Also, leave the house unlocked and let the local reclamation experts know you are out.

There you go.

Personally I would try and negotiate pointing out problems with voids etc and your current record as a trouble free tenant.

Edit for typo

Edited by Longtermrenter

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Think you have done the right thing, especially as you have to consider the kids and how settled they feel....oh and the amount of grief you might get from your partner if you had to move suddenly!

As for feeling 'screwed over', look at it this way:-

1. Although you have been living in a tatty place for x years, you have also been saving x pounds for x years; this saved money is going to benefit you when you buy.

2. Hopefully you will still be paying below market rate and so saving.

3. As your accommodation is now secure you are back in control of the situation (rather than having it forced upon you), and so can decide when you want to buy/move.

4. As you accommodation is now secure you can 'broach' the subject of repairs and /or refurbishment...when the landlord/lady sees the costs of these they may not be so quick to put up the rent in the future.

Remember always better to 'lose the battle and win the war!'

HOLA4414

Maybe weaken a few water pipe joints too after running the house as a cannabis farm for a year with new and removed partitions and holes in floors and ceilings for ventilation systems. Also, leave the house unlocked and let the local reclamation experts know you are out.

There you go.

Personally I would try and negotiate pointing out problems with voids etc and your current record as a trouble free tenant.

Edit for typo

Yes I would agree. You definately need to show some balls with these people though. This accommodation is below standard - but is also below average price of the area. Hence why asking for more is - IMO - taking the pish unless improvements are offered.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

One way of approaching these things is to say that if they insist on increasing the rent then you'll find another place and won't allow viewings of yours,so unless they can find someone to take it on blind,then they'll be eating a one or two month void at the minimum.If it's a bit of a dump,it could be longer.

Work out the figures for them,two months empty is £1460 lost.Not increasing your rent is no loss.

I live in the Midlands and with the exception of the SE,there's little chance of rents having crept up enough to compensate the LL for the pontential loss.

In your example,two months empty at the new rent would take 29 months to claw back the rent she'd lose from your two months empty.

Dyor but it's a decent way of avoiding increases.I've seen it used many times.

Beware you will get a few people saying they have a contractual right of access but they don't.Staute trumps unfair contract term every time.

Edited by Sancho Panza

HOLA4417
Guest Jemmy Button

A downside of renting is that you are perpetuating the Landowner/Slave continuum. Remember ALL LANDLORDS are vile utter bastards. They do not have your welfare at heart. They do not give a flying feck about you. Their only interest in you is as a means to fund their holiday in the beyamas. And don't count on the LIBLABCON wan**rs. They are all into BTL. The only option is to vote for a a massive curb on immigration. That's why the only real option is to vote to leave the EU. Otherwise, it ain't gonna change.

HOLA4418

Secure ? Surely there is still the standard 2 months notice ?

Rental accommodation in this country is almost never 'secure'. So you shouldn't treat it that way IMO.

For a new AST it is guaranteed in England for 6 months ie you can be served a s21 to become active after 4 months. Often in UK they serve the s21 when you move in so they can later get you to sign a new contract and you can't move to statutory periodic (rolling 2 month)

I had a quick google as was not aware of the 2 month notice situation .... so, we've been in this place since jan 2011, having signed various cont contracts back to back (generally 6 months at a time). Contract is due to expire end may - can we insist on a rolling 2 month contract? Landlord could just kick us out if he would prefer a 12 month one?

HOLA4419

I think things plateaued last summer, but could drift sideways until Autumn 15. If decent drops are seen (20%) then I would be tempted into the market. My wife is at breaking point .... I have been saying to her since 2010.... just you wait, the proper crash is coming ....

I've been having the same arguments/discussions the last year. It's hard to convince her prices are not going to keep going up :-/

HOLA4420

I've been having the same arguments/discussions the last year. It's hard to convince her prices are not going to keep going up :-/

My wife completely understands - if we buy now, or after prices go up, then we're at risk of bankruptcy/homelessness, under constant stress, or just in a tiny hosue in a sh*t area. Alternatively we keep renting a sub standard house and never put down proper roots (decorating, doing the garden, knowing a school choice is for the long term). The latter is the lesser of two evils, but not ideal.

HOLA4421

I had a quick google as was not aware of the 2 month notice situation .... so, we've been in this place since jan 2011, having signed various cont contracts back to back (generally 6 months at a time). Contract is due to expire end may - can we insist on a rolling 2 month contract? Landlord could just kick us out if he would prefer a 12 month one?

You have to give one months notice,Landlord two months.

Once your initial 6 AST is over you automatically go onto a periodic tenancy where you're both able to serve notice.If you weant some security of tenure then ask for a 12 AST or more.The 6 monthly renewals are jsut a way of agents/LL's churning.

HOLA4422

You have to give one months notice,Landlord two months.

Once your initial 6 AST is over you automatically go onto a periodic tenancy where you're both able to serve notice.If you weant some security of tenure then ask for a 12 AST or more.The 6 monthly renewals are jsut a way of agents/LL's churning.

But I'm guessing the landlord can evict us with 2 months notice if we refuse to sign a 12 month contract?

HOLA4423

I 'third' SP and Satch above...I was in exactly this situation as it suited me to have the flexibility of moving quickly with work (or only having to pay for a 1 month notice period) YET having the security of a two month notice period.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424

Update... The landlord didn't come back to us with new rent proposal. Instead he phoned today and said his granddaughter wants to view the place on the weekend as he'd like to rent it to her instead.

Presuming the worst we're now expecting to have to move in two months. Bloody typical with oldest daughter starting lovely school in Sept, major project just starting at work, and my Dept facing restructure in autumn. Oh and first foreign holiday since 2010 booked for likely move date... Only camping in France but FFS it never rains but it pours!

HOLA4425