A Downside Of Renting

HOLA441
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Yes.

Tell landlord and grand daughter to ****** right off.

I have to give priority to my daughter and starting school. If that means biting my tongue and hoping we get to stay in our existing rental then so be it.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I have to give priority to my daughter and starting school. If that means biting my tongue and hoping we get to stay in our existing rental then so be it.

If twere me (caveats etc) would be inclined to try and find alternative new 6/12 mth tenancy in school catchment if poss & reasonably delay landlord entry for viewing. i.e. "saturday not convenient" etc to buy time. Perfectly legitimate and legal. Then bin him off with 1 mth notice at earliest opp.

HOLA446

If twere me (caveats etc) would be inclined to try and find alternative new 6/12 mth tenancy in school catchment if poss & reasonably delay landlord entry for viewing. i.e. "saturday not convenient" etc to buy time. Perfectly legitimate and legal. Then bin him off with 1 mth notice at earliest opp.

To the OP, Sorry to heard the bad news. If the threat of a rent rise wasn't bad enough! I'm inclined to agree with RK though, try, as best as you can, to manipulate the situation so you can leave in your own timescale.

Edited by renting til I die

HOLA447

Yeah that's our plan ... we're keeping an eye out (via RM saved search) for 2/3/4 bed places up to £1000pcm. Will be £250 ish more than we pay now, but keeps all major factors constant (friends, school, etc).

HOLA448

Update... The landlord didn't come back to us with new rent proposal. Instead he phoned today and said his granddaughter wants to view the place on the weekend as he'd like to rent it to her instead.

Presuming the worst we're now expecting to have to move in two months. Bloody typical with oldest daughter starting lovely school in Sept, major project just starting at work, and my Dept facing restructure in autumn. Oh and first foreign holiday since 2010 booked for likely move date... Only camping in France but FFS it never rains but it pours!

Two things spring to mind.

Firstly, the granddaughter thing stands out as a ruse to me. He's putting pressure on you. This is business, and you are negotiating until you hand back the keys.

Which brings me onto the second point. You don't HAVE to leave until you get a court order. That is at least 6 months away. I'm not suggesting you put you and your family in that position. But I am suggesting there is still a game to be played. You've still got some good cards in your hand. I know it's stressful, but the best you can do is keep stalling and negotiate the very best deal for you and your family, even if that means leaving on your own terms at a time that suits you. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA449

Well, we've been served notice... Leave by end August. Things seem crazy in the rental market... Very little supply. The places we can just about afford (£1000pm for 3 bed terrace) go very quickly and it's a lottery whether you get the place or not. Webbed lost out on 4 places so far.

HOLA4410

Well, we've been served notice... Leave by end August. Things seem crazy in the rental market... Very little supply. The places we can just about afford (£1000pm for 3 bed terrace) go very quickly and it's a lottery whether you get the place or not. Webbed lost out on 4 places so far.

Sorry to hear that, good luck finding a new place. Hope you can not only find a new pad but also a decent landlord! As expensive as my rent is, I haven't been thrown into the loins den of having to move for 3 years! Almost feeling lucky now! :P

HOLA4411

Is your landlords plan to rent to his grand-daughter. I didn't think that you were allowed to rent a property that was financed under a BTL mortgage to a family member? Might not help you in keeping the house but potentially offers the opportunity for revenge by way of an anonymous tip-off?

HOLA4412

A good tenant that pays on time and cares for the property must be worth a few bob to a landlord. Negotiate on the price, your history and reliability, could include upgrades to property which would be in both of your interests....keep flexible and whilst staying for now keep looking for other places.....a good landlord is also invaluable..... Keep things sweet the ball is in your court.

HOLA4413

A good tenant that pays on time and cares for the property must be worth a few bob to a landlord. Negotiate on the price, your history and reliability, could include upgrades to property which would be in both of your interests....keep flexible and whilst staying for now keep looking for other places.....a good landlord is also invaluable..... Keep things sweet the ball is in your court.

Thank you very little for the bland and twee inanities.

HOLA4414
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4415

How did you play it in the end hiace_drifter?

Hardball or cap doffing submission?

The landlord had another identical house 3 doors up so we moved into that. The granddaughter wanted the one we were in... End of terrace not mid plus central heating too. Ho him.

So we bit our tongue and did the cheapest and easiest thing.