House Price Crash Forum

Bank Says I Have To Have Computer 'professionally Cleaned.'

Austin Allegro

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

With Lloyds, I've used a 3-stage system to date: (i) USER ID followed by (ii) password then (iii) a code generator that produces a 6 digit number.

Lloyds tell me that from the New Year I no longer use the code generator but various characters/digits from my Memorable Information.

I've no idea how good or bad a system that is but assumed the code generator was reasonable security and the new method seems to have been introduced to save users having to take the code generator with them if they access their accounts "on the move".

Backward step or if they're both bad systems....any recommendations for more secure online banking?

Never had a code generator from Lloyds, always thought it sounded more secure than the memorable information thing.

HOLA444

The bank website flashed up a message that I had to call a call centre. I called them and they asked me security questions, which I failed, because I couldn't bring up my account online to verify what they were asking.

Could be wrong but that sounds like a phishing pop up add and you just gave your security details to a Nigerian with a Scottish accent ,did you get the call center number from the pop up add ? if so i would be very worried

Edit:

Ah the Scottish one was when you were actually in the bank ....the first one was perfectly understandable i bet the fraudsters are far better than the people that actually do the job

HOLA445

Santander...? You were lucky.

My copy of Trusteer is free from Yorkshire Bank - to log-on you have to be thrashed to sleep with a broken bottle, then get up half an hour before you went to bed and install your PC in a hole in the road...!

But try telling that to the identity-thieves of today and they won't believe you...

XYY

I'm sure you can do all that - even if you don't enjoy it. :)

HOLA446

Natwest.

I could barely understand what the girl was saying as her Scots accent was inpenetrable (I'm Scots myself so it must have been bad) and the call centre was noisy.

I thought Natwest had outsourced its operation to Injaah.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The last thing you need when you phone a call centre is to be put through to Injin.

Haha!

'Prove to me that your money exists. Go on, prove it. Prove that your country exists. Prove YOU exist!'

No the first point of contact was India, but the fraud stuff is Scotland, presumably because they need people a bit more able to think outside the script.

Actually I went into the bank today to ask what professional cleaning meant and the man said 'there's software you download, innit.'

HOLA449

Archived