House Price Crash Forum

'yes' Vote - Cost Of Protection On Sterling In Options Market Rises

R K

HOLA441

Its like the mafia, you get someone into debt to you and they do as you say, we are gambling addicts in debt to the mob. Organised crime is no longer vinnie in jersey its a hedge fund manager in london.

So Scotland starting off with 150 billion pounds of debt , with an annual deficit of circa 15 billion - in a currency they are desperate to keep - yet controlled by the very people in London they say they are so desperate to 'break free' from - is better in exactly what way ?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

So what other option is there?

Wait for Westminster to have a Damascene conversion?

Or are we all destined to be screwed over by the 1% forever with no chance to change things democratically at all?

I don't believe that they're all the same - but it doesn't matter. The current lot have buggered things up so badly for my generation that anything is better. Yes, I'm not being shot at yet, but the alternative to some kind of political change is to sentence myself to another ten years in my room-in-a-shared-house prison cell, lending my savings to banks who give me 0.5% for the privilege of screwing me over and my taxes to a government that hands them out to idiots to outbid me. I'd better start learning the proper way to tug my forelock when the lord comes knocking.

Go at least try and do something positive for once and vote Yes.

HOLA443

So what other option is there?

Wait for Westminster to have a Damascene conversion?

Or are we all destined to be screwed over by the 1% forever with no chance to change things democratically at all?

I don't believe that they're all the same - but it doesn't matter. The current lot have buggered things up so badly for my generation that anything is better. Yes, I'm not being shot at yet, but the alternative to some kind of political change is to sentence myself to another ten years in my room-in-a-shared-house prison cell, lending my savings to banks who give me 0.5% for the privilege of screwing me over and my taxes to a government that hands them out to idiots to outbid me. I'd better start learning the proper way to tug my forelock when the lord comes knocking.

Go at least try and do something positive for once and vote Yes.

ANYTHING is better ? You can't honestly mean that - its a ******ing ridiculous thing to say !!

So what happens if the vote is yes - and in ten years Scotland is totally ******ed compared to the UK - you would argue that's a BETTER position to be in ?!

HOLA444

Three threads on this subject - lots of chat - yet when I raise the simple - 15 billion deficit - point over and over - zero response from those trying to tell me an independent Scotland would be great.

They just don't have an answer - and so choose to ignore it.

HOLA445

Three threads on this subject - lots of chat - yet when I raise the simple - 15 billion deficit - point over and over - zero response from those trying to tell me an independent Scotland would be great.

If we have a 15 Billion deficit so what. So what if we are poorer. There is more at stake than money.

HOLA446

PWC: "The Total Tax Contribution of the UK Oil & Gas Industry"

Total Tax Contribution (TTC) is estimated at £30.1bn, which is 5.5% of total UK government tax revenues. If the taxes paid by companies in the supply chain were included, the figure would be even higher.

Some of that must go to an independent Scotland!

HOLA447

You know it offends me off this interpretation that Scotland is a bunch of drunk morons who are incapable of running a country. England isn't exactly an example of how to run a country it is as much "f*cked". There debate also completely focuses on oil too and while this is important to an extent is not a country that lies around drunk claiming benefits while oil money rolls in.

For example, tourism, this is enormous for Scotland it has a sell able culture and history the world wants to see and experience, I was in Edinburgh recently and you simply could not move for tourists, crazy volumes where the city was heaving under the strain. Would the north of England attract such numbers? some small countries would love to have those tourist numbers.

On top of this there is Scotlands best export, the people, history has shown they often produce some of the best and brightest many have left and changed the world for the better some have stayed and had an enormous impact on Scotland and England.

Did you know Grand theft auto was invented in Scotland and still employs a team of hundreds in Edinburgh? GTA 5 made an enormous amount of money last year smashing all records and destroying all other forms of entertainment, Yeah they were bought out by a big international but isnt that the same with all british innovation? Its a good example of creative innovation bringing lots of high tec well paid jobs.

England and Scotland were forced together it was a partnership which was mutually beneficial, we are all tied in so many ways it could never been unraveled even due to a yes vote. I have encountered the morons who refer to me with various racist terms but I also have really good friends in England some of the best people I have met but you get dicks in every country. They are an embarrassment to us all.

England and Scotland are both full of the best and brightest being royally shafted by the 1% When they had the union of the crowns this led to the most powerful empire in human history. No other country has had the same impact on the world. No two countries have contributed so much. So those who think that Scotland is a weak child of England really need to get over themselves.

If scottish students get free education it simply shows they are holding there MPs more accountable, Westminster has smashed so many groups of people, maybe its the responsibility of those in England to fight for what they need instead of grumbling about what Scotland gets.

As far as I am concerned this isnt a vote to get free from England this is a vote to get away form Westminster. England is my best friend its just run by arseh*les, if England kicked off and threw them out, if bankers were arrested and if things were getting good there wouldnt even be this vote.

HOLA448

You know it offends me off this interpretation that Scotland is a bunch of drunk morons who are incapable of running a country. England isn't exactly an example of how to run a country it is as much "f*cked". There debate also completely focuses on oil too and while this is important to an extent is not a country that lies around drunk claiming benefits while oil money rolls in.

For example, tourism, this is enormous for Scotland it has a sell able culture and history the world wants to see and experience, I was in Edinburgh recently and you simply could not move for tourists, crazy volumes where the city was heaving under the strain. Would the north of England attract such numbers? some small countries would love to have those tourist numbers.

On top of this there is Scotlands best export, the people, history has shown they often produce some of the best and brightest many have left and changed the world for the better some have stayed and had an enormous impact on Scotland and England.

Did you know Grand theft auto was invented in Scotland and still employs a team of hundreds in Edinburgh? GTA 5 made an enormous amount of money last year smashing all records and destroying all other forms of entertainment, Yeah they were bought out by a big international but isnt that the same with all british innovation? Its a good example of creative innovation bringing lots of high tec well paid jobs.

England and Scotland were forced together it was a partnership which was mutually beneficial, we are all tied in so many ways it could never been unraveled even due to a yes vote. I have encountered the morons who refer to me with various racist terms but I also have really good friends in England some of the best people I have met but you get dicks in every country. They are an embarrassment to us all.

England and Scotland are both full of the best and brightest being royally shafted by the 1% When they had the union of the crowns this led to the most powerful empire in human history. No other country has had the same impact on the world. No two countries have contributed so much. So those who think that Scotland is a weak child of England really need to get over themselves.

If scottish students get free education it simply shows they are holding there MPs more accountable, Westminster has smashed so many groups of people, maybe its the responsibility of those in England to fight for what they need instead of grumbling about what Scotland gets.

As far as I am concerned this isnt a vote to get free from England this is a vote to get away form Westminster. England is my best friend its just run by arseh*les, if England kicked off and threw them out, if bankers were arrested and if things were getting good there wouldnt even be this vote.

I find it frustrating that Scots, English and Welsh cannot 'get' the fcact that in most policy areas, Scotland is self-governing, and 'independence' won't add much to those areas.

HOLA449

Another good post. Better than "We canny afford it" or "You will be ruled from London forever no matter how you vote."

HOLA4410

The UK has a 100 billion deficit. Your strategy appears to be to cross your fingers and hope that no-one notices.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

ANYTHING is better ? You can't honestly mean that - its a ******ing ridiculous thing to say !!

So what happens if the vote is yes - and in ten years Scotland is totally ******ed compared to the UK - you would argue that's a BETTER position to be in ?!

What is the housing crisis to you? A minor inconvenience? For me, and my brother, and my friends, it is grinding our aspirations into the dirt. Work hard and have somewhere to live, a stable job, maybe a kid or two. That was all lies. No matter how hard you work or how many times you get on your bike a settled life is still out of reach.

You're wrong - an independent Scotland will be better off than the UK - but even if you're right and Scotland will end up a third world country, better to die free than life the rest of your life as a slave.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

What is the housing crisis to you? A minor inconvenience? For me, and my brother, and my friends, it is grinding our aspirations into the dirt. Work hard and have somewhere to live, a stable job, maybe a kid or two. That was all lies. No matter how hard you work or how many times you get on your bike a settled life is still out of reach.

You're wrong - an independent Scotland will be better off than the UK - but even if you're right and Scotland will end up a third world country, better to die free than life the rest of your life as a slave.

But how will an independent Scotland be better? For that, you need politicians who think differently, who don't buy into neoliberalism and all that.

But it's clear that Scottish politicians aren't different to the ones in London, or Washington or Berlin.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

PWC: "The Total Tax Contribution of the UK Oil & Gas Industry"

Some of that must go to an independent Scotland!

Of course some of it will - but from what I have read - its not going to make a huge dent in the deficit.

The proof is in the pudding - if it was - the yes campaign would be non stop about it. They aren't.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

1. How do you know how much oil is recoverable?

2. How do you know that rUK won't contest the right to drill and explore?#

3. How do you know the EU won't claim it as price for EU membership?

1. We don't but the prospect of having that much oil that potentially could be recovered is amazing!

2. If it is off the West coast of Scotland and we are independent I don't see how the UK could contest it.

3. We would just not join the EU.

HOLA4422

Tbh this is why I love this forum, I get all the opinions and ideas the news doesn't have, some good thinkers on here. Great stuff folks.

I see people completely underestimate Scotland, just lots of little things. Did you know its the home of golf? everyday I used to watch private billionaire jets fly into leuchers for a round. How many countries would love just that? Golf tourism is enormous and that's just one tiny corner whereas some countries would make that there "thing"or "hing" to use the local vocabulary

Every little corner of Scotland is famous for something and now what I am seeing this vote is a need to branch out what I might even call entrepreneurship. My thoughts are on a yes is that the south of England does well, Scotland does well and the north of england and wales end up f**ked but thats just my thoughts.

HOLA4423

1. We don't but the prospect of having that much oil that potentially could be recovered is amazing!

2. If it is off the West coast of Scotland and we are independent I don't see how the UK could contest it.

3. We would just not join the EU.

As regards 3 salmond would not agree with you.

HOLA4424

You know it offends me off this interpretation that Scotland is a bunch of drunk morons who are incapable of running a country. England isn't exactly an example of how to run a country it is as much "f*cked".

F***ed thanks to 13 years of ruin inflicted by Scotsmen Tony Bliar and Gordon Brown.

HOLA4425

Pretty much every post on this forum identifies another insane piece of Westminster economic mismanagement.

Massive public debt, a deficit that isn't coming down, no energy security, public money funnelled into the pockets of bankers and landlords, no investment in infrastructure outside of London, massive overcrowding in the south-east, asset prices pumped up to ludicrous heights, a 'service economy' of global money-laundering rather than any real productivity, and the future for the next generation one of perpetual debt.

As for hating Cameron, what about the fact his government has been the very epitome of crony captialism? Examples include selling off Royal Mail at a knock-down price while keeping the debts on the public books, 'Help to Buy' to keep house prices nicely inflated for the landowning class, a student loan scheme that is turning out to be more expensive for both students and the government, and opening the door to an NHS takeover by American healthcare companies.

It's been all been travelling in this same disastrous direction for the last twenty, if not thirty years, under all three parties. The life chances and living standards of the middle classes crushed under the heel of global capital. An average home now over a quarter of a million, and that's if you can find a job outside London!

I really don't see how you can on one hand point out the infinite disasters that our current political system has handed to us, while simultaneously voting to endorse it.

If England had a vote to break away from the corrupt charlatans running Westminster, who wouldn't vote Yes? I know which side I am rooting for in Scotland.

Spot on!

Lets hope the yes vote opens up doors and minds south of the border.