House Price Crash Forum

Kyrgios Beats Nadal...the End Of The Beautiful Game?

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/10939350/Nick-Kyrgios-stuns-Rafael-Nadal-to-reach-Wimbledon-2014-quarter-finals-as-a-teenage-wild-card.html

We have rather gone through a purple patch in the men's game...guile and skill over sheer power resulting in long and beautiful rallies. Murray, Nadal and Federer have been good examples of this.

We had an enjoyable spell in the late 70s with Borg and McEnroe, and then the game was overtaken with big hitters most notably in Ivanisevic...double fault, ace, double fault, ace....that's the rubbish that was being served up. There was Sampras in similar vein... if it wasn't his power killing rallies it was peculiar spins ending rallies before they had even started and you couldn't describe him as majestic.

Too early to tell with Kyrgios because he is only 19, but there were a lot of unforced errors and brilliant unreturnable shots.

Maybe I missed my chance to see Kyrgios first title for free at Nottingham. He might be the next Tiger Woods of tennis.

He was actually knocked out in the first week of the Challenger at Nottingham in round 1, but then won eight straight games to claim his first title in the second challenger.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Who is Borge?

Altered for you, spelling names was never my strong point. Couldn't for the life of me think how you spelt Djokovic until I just looked it up...I would add him to the list of the golden generation of tennis players.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Wimbledon is supposed to have been slowed right down over recent years.

I do enjoy the tennis. That was some result by Kyrgios over Nadal, he kept his cool remarkably well considering who was over the other side of the net.

HOLA446

Heard reports of an upset and a thrilling match on the News as I drove home.

I got genuinely enthused

I began to look forward to watching my first Wimbledon tennis for the last couple of years - even though it was a sunny evening and I could go out.

So I got the extension lead and sat with the laptop in the garden.

Towards the end of the first set I had gone back to my work e-mails with a feeling that the tennis player was losing.

I never returned to wimbledon.

By which time it wasn't worth going out.

A wasted evening.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Nadal looked sluggish. Wasn't moving properly. Almost certainly he is feeling the effect of his long career (started at Wimbledon at age 15). His knees are not up to it anymore.

I hope you're right because otherwise Krygios could be steam rolling opponents with aces in two years time and there will be no point in watching. I suppose some do peak early....look at Boris Becker.

HOLA449

Well watching the match of Kyrgios and Raonic right now if this is the future, then yes the golden age is really over.

Stick on to that Gulbis, Del Potro, Dimitrov and I think it's going to be an ace-fault-ace-fault before long :(

Shame as the last 10 years has been something else.

HOLA4410

Archived