House Price Crash Forum

House Price Props

HOLA441

Banks aren't interested in savers any more. That's why they offer such paltry interest rates. They can get much cheaper cash elsewhere.

Credit growth isn't so hot, and after a bit of a spurt past year, is set to dampen down. Saving rates are low because asset values and risk is so high (imo). And all too often policymakers will try and get you to spend, invest, at an ill-advised time, to prolong the boom.

A remnant of some mild childhood dyslexia (b,d,p), and perhaps wishful thinking, I keep reading the title of this thread as: House Price drops

Then I remember it's hpc, where even if we had any such drops, it'd be back to how all owners are victims, again.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Credulous and naive banking types taken advantage of by ruthless and sophisticated borrowers?

"We never expected them to lie on the mortgage application forms, guv."

I didn't borrow more than I could afford to repay and yet I had the same access to the banks.

If YOU borrow more than YOU can afford to repay it is YOUR fault. Its a simple thing to be so confused about.

Edited by cybernoid

HOLA443
HOLA444

Mortgage Rescue Scheme

This is where a housing association will buy a house from someone who is going to get their home repossessed. The housing association then rent the house to the person who was going to have it repossessed.

This puts less repossessed houses on the market and so puts positive pressure on house prices.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Officially

Bank bailouts

ZIRP

Special Liquidity Scheme (SLS)

Project Merlin

Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

QE

Funding for Lending

Help to Buy I

Help to Buy II

Unofficially

Tax breaks for BLT

Winter fuel subsidies for elderly people in properties so large they couldn't afford to heat them (downsize then!)

Pressure on banks not to repossess, aka forbearance

Edited by rantnrave

HOLA447

Sorry guys... I know its not a laughing matter ...

But this really does sound like the "What have the Romans done for us?" Thread.

If you knew the market was as rigged as this would you enter?

And if so... Would you be smart enough to play it and win?

Or would you just walk away?

It's a conundrum

Thames ;)

HOLA448

Officially

Bank bailouts

ZIRP

Project Merlin

QE

Funding for Lending

Help to Buy I

Help to Buy II

Unofficially

Tax breaks for BLT

Winter fuel subsidies for elderly people in properties so large they couldn't afford to heat them (downsize then!)

These measures were the right thing to do for the hardworking homeowners of this country

HOLA449

If you knew the market was as rigged as this would you enter?

And if so... Would you be smart enough to play it and win?

Or would you just walk away?

It's a conundrum

Thames ;)

You've only had to look at house prices for 10+ years to walkaway. Apparently someone with hundreds of thousands of pounds of mortgage debt, on a house they chose to buy at 2 or 3 times what my loved ones would pay, is my superior. Learnt that the hard way, with all the excuses and these schemes. All to keep prices propped up for all the other VI.

YouTube:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Officially

Bank bailouts

ZIRP

Project Merlin

QE

Funding for Lending

Help to Buy I

Help to Buy II

Unofficially

Tax breaks for BLT

Councils started using our council tax to underwrite losses for banks, via schemes that were a forerunner to Help to Buy.

Shared equity - the reduction in equity props prices up. Some are just 12.5% equity.

Increased lending multiples, now back up to over 4 times joint income.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Allowing banks the freedom to create money out of thin air and lend out the majority of this increase in the money supply against property prices...

This is the daddy of them all. Take away the power of the private banks to create money from nothing and house prices would have to reflect the level of savings and incomes in the economy.

HOLA4417

Non-means tested winter fuel allowance.

Gold plated unfunded pension schemes.

Anything that discourages downsizing by making it possible to maintain largely empty and underused properties on retirement incomes.

Downsize to what?......all the small places are owned by the buy to leters (in it for the long-term) or are occupied by first time buyers that will be stuck living in them for longer than they hoped or planned.....and why would people who have finally managed to repay their mortgage debt want to move to rent if they don't have to.....what about the thousands of empty property/bedrooms out there, someone owns it...because of the low supply in certain places, maybe they should be encouraged to see that it is ulilised by those that have a demand for it. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Downsize to what?......all the small places are owned by the buy to leters (in it for the long-term) or are occupied by first time buyers that will be stuck living in them for longer than they hoped or planned.....and why would people who have finally managed to repay their mortgage debt want to move to rent if they don't have to.....what about the thousands of empty property/bedrooms out there, someone owns it...because of the low supply in certain places, maybe they should be encouraged to see that it is ulilised by those that have a demand for it. ;)

I think you just answered your own question - downsize to current FTB properties (noone is going to say "oooh, you're not a FTB, I'm not going to accept your money") and allow young families to upsize and utilize those empty bedrooms, bring supply to market, etc

HOLA4420

This is the daddy of them all. Take away the power of the private banks to create money from nothing and house prices would have to reflect the level of savings and incomes in the economy.

Yes this is definitely the daddy, without it the boom bust cycle would be much smaller and therefore much less of a problem.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I think you just answered your own question - downsize to current FTB properties (noone is going to say "oooh, you're not a FTB, I'm not going to accept your money") and allow young families to upsize and utilize those empty bedrooms, bring supply to market, etc

So are you saying there are no family properties left to buy?....or are you saying people selling them would make them cheaper for familes to buy?......or are you saying higher taxation LVT or council tax for larger family property will make it cheaper for families to live in and buy?......can't see that working. ;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425