House Price Crash Forum

Question Time

HOLA441

As sure as I can be sure, without going down the road of thinking I'm playing Jedi Mind tricks on myself. Wiki is my first port of call for basic fact finding and I remember scrolling down the page, getting to the personal section and telling my BF about it while QT was on. I've either gone mad or it's been cleverly removed (I'm really hoping it's been cleverly removed).

But he was perfect for Chase Manhattan who were ‘more interested in the hunger in my belly’. He was later head-hunted by Deutsche Bank, but refuses to comment on claims he made £20million in 15 years.

He has the confidence – and prudence – of a self-made man. He drives a £35,000 Range Rover Evoque, though the West Midlands MP quickly adds it is to support the local Land Rover car company, and buys his suits ‘cheaply in Hong Kong or Birmingham’ not Jermyn Street.

Javid and his wife live in a £4million home in Fulham, own a £2million house which is rented out in Chelsea, another in Bristol and a constituency residence. ‘I worked hard for 20 years, and was paid well and achieved things for me and my family,’ he says defiantly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2592532/Is-Maggies-Muslim-heir-set-follow-No-10-Raised-shopkeeper-instilled-value-hard-work-treasury-star-Sajid-Javid-claim-biggest-prize.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The write ups about this guy are impressive, thinks big, made millions, worked for international banks, wanted four children, got them etc. etc. wants to sit on his porch when he is old and think back on a life "well lived".......... WTF :lol: If you sit on Question Time and think you can lie to people about one of the greatest con tricks of all time, based around one of the most basic human needs, you have not only failed to live a Good Life, you have wasted your life, and he isn`t even a good liar! There is still time, but judging by his skin crawling performance on QT he is maybe already too far towards the forces of darkness?

HOLA443

It's more than that-if true it's a bloody miracle- the idea that higher house prices are always and everywhere a good thing is practically encoded into our collective DNA-if this is starting to change the implications are huge.

I still waiting for the daily mail headline that says-'Joy for home buyers as prices fall'. :lol:

Yes they are, still very disturbing though that it has got to the level it has before people seem to be coming half awake?

HOLA444

The write ups about this guy are impressive, thinks big, made millions, worked for international banks, wanted four children, got them etc. etc. wants to sit on his porch when he is old and think back on a life "well lived".......... WTF :lol: If you sit on Question Time and think you can lie to people about one of the greatest con tricks of all time, based around one of the most basic human needs, you have not only failed to live a Good Life, you have wasted your life, and he isn`t even a good liar! There is still time, but judging by his skin crawling performance on QT he is maybe already too far towards the forces of darkness?

With regards HPI, and those at the middle-to-top of the HPI, reminds me of a trick I pull on my younger brother for a couple of weeks when I was 17 and he was 12.

Tests or quizzes or other games of reaction, which one way another I knew answers to in advance or had rigged.

Loser - and I never lost - had points added. Each point could be used for a task. Eg: got him to go to the local shop for some sweets/crisps for me. His points outstanding position I would then add-to, or multiply on a whim, relying on fact he'd forgotten what he owed. Or some other penalty imposed to take him further away from clearing his position and making his own way. "Work harder and you'll pay it down." I soon felt bad about that. He only did 3 trips to the sweetie shop for me, one Summer, before I cleared his points-debt with guilt.

There's no guilt with the VIs holding this housing position to extremes. Forever telling younger people to work harder to have a house that only goes up in value, mix in half-trill of QE, and more HPI which they celebrate as recovery.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Yes they are, still very disturbing though that it has got to the level it has before people seem to be coming half awake?

A long way yet.

It reminds me of people who get morbidly obese. I worry if I put on a stone and do something about it. At what point, when you can't tie your shoelaces, get out of bed, can't get out of the house, have to be bathed and toileted by a nurse, was getting that big still a good idea?

Bubbles are harder to spot when you are in them. But its a bubble nevertheless.

But we never allowed the last bubble to deflate, so the lesson never got learned.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA447

Apologies if already posted- Torygraph commenters and commentator all seem to love Javid:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100267269/labour-fears-sajid-javid-because-hes-everything-its-not-working-class-non-white-successful/

The fact he talks ******** doesn't seem to come into it.

Birds of a feather flock together

(****** I'm turning into winkie.)

Edited by 7 Year Itch

HOLA448

Mr Javid just seems to be peddling the official line on things and BBC's QT gives him the opportunity to do so.

For example at about 3.20 minutes in he was very keen to introduce the statement that the parliamentary regulatory organisation IPSA is "independent" when there are serious doubts about its actual independence.

He places great importance on the notion of independence. During his comments on the housing market he put great emphasis on the idea that the BoE is independent when in reality there are very serious doubts about its independence and even more so since Mr Carney became governor.

Edited by billybong

HOLA449

Apologies if already posted- Torygraph commenters and commentator all seem to love Javid:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100267269/labour-fears-sajid-javid-because-hes-everything-its-not-working-class-non-white-successful/

The fact he talks ******** doesn't seem to come into it.

I didnt think Javid was quite as awful as the libdem woman. when asked about the economics of tuition fees she went off on some tangent about ethnic minorities in wales.

Javid just gave bad answers. The lib dem woman was actually on another planet.

Harman cant be trusted, given pretty much every issue raised she messed up when in power.

Billy Bragg actually made the most sense of them all, which I find highly disturbing.

HOLA4410
He places great importance on the notion of independence. During his comments on the housing market he put great emphasis on the idea that the BoE is independent when in reality there are very serious doubts about its independence and even more so since Mr Carney became governor.

There's also this unexamined subtext that everyone takes for granted- what if he had put it this way;

"Because we-the tory party- cannot be trusted to behave in the national interest we have given control of the nations money to an ex goldman sachs banker- on the basis that he is far more trustworthy on these matters than we are." :lol:

The basic argument here seems to be that if Osborne's scheme to inflate the housing market gets out of control a responsible adult in the form of Mark Carney will step in and put a stop to it.

So the inevitable conclusion we must draw is that Osborne himself is not a responsible adult. So why is he allowed to remain in office?

This whole notion of an 'independent' central bank is really odd- because what it's supposed to be independent from is control by the elected government of the country!

So the same politicians who ask us to trust them clearly don't trust themselves to act in the national interest when it comes to the nations money??? :blink:

HOLA4411

A long way yet.

It reminds me of people who get morbidly obese. I worry if I put on a stone and do something about it. At what point, when you can't tie your shoelaces, get out of bed, can't get out of the house, have to be bathed and toileted by a nurse, was getting that big still a good idea?

Bubbles are harder to spot when you are in them. But its a bubble nevertheless.

But we never allowed the last bubble to deflate, so the lesson never got learned.

I think the lesson will be learned next time around. Double detention coming up for many UK sheeple I believe.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I didnt think Javid was quite as awful as the libdem woman. when asked about the economics of tuition fees she went off on some tangent about ethnic minorities in wales.

Javid just gave bad answers. The lib dem woman was actually on another planet.

Harman cant be trusted, given pretty much every issue raised she messed up when in power.

Billy Bragg actually made the most sense of them all, which I find highly disturbing.

Ha ha. The man's not daft, whether you like him or not. :huh:

HOLA4414

Mr Javid just seems to be peddling the official line on things and BBC's QT gives him the opportunity to do so.

Yes, he always peddles the party line flawlessly when he's on Daily Politics. I don't get where this idea of him being a breath of fresh air and the saviour of the Tory party comes from, he comes across as exactly the kind of shameless line-toer that makes voters hate all politicians. Still, I'm sure it's a good way to get promoted.

HOLA4415

The only person who couldn't see a bubble was Sajid Javid.

The best bit was when that guy pointed out to him that the BOE didn't recognize the last bubble till it began to deflate.

Meanwhile stones and glass houses comes to mind with Harriet Harman. Why Javid didn't point out that house were actually nominally slightly higher 7 years ago and about 25% higher in real terms under Brown's no more boom and bust, God only knows.

Labour got it so cataclysmically wrong by 2007, they need to apologise before they criticise.

Yeh we have still got a bubble, be it one slightly smaller than the one Brown and Harman blew up.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4416

Not only did Javid give that (apparently) startled look when the man in the audience mentioned that house prices weren't in the BoE's inflation figures but Javid completely ignored that point in his answer.

On the point made by the same man in the audience that the BoE failed to spot the house price bubble leading upto 2007 (so how is the BoE going to spot the bubble now) Javid diverted the discussion way from house prices towards the general economy/finance by talking about the credit crisis and referring to the FSA "quango" and blaming Labour - apart from getting nowhere near the overall reasons for the UK credit crisis (which was in large part Labour's responsibility) it then allowed Harman to follow on and deny Labour's responsibility for the global crisis rather than answer for Labour's contribution to the UK house price bubble.

On Javid's reference to BoE's new powers someone on the panel, even the presenter Dimbleby, could have easily remarked that the BoE has recently said it can't do anything about the bubble (at least for the bubble in London) - but they didn't. For sure they would all know about the BoE's recent statement.

In short Javid either ignored the question, twisted the answer or pretended something hadn't happened - he used to be a senior banker and now he's a Conservative Minister in a coalition government, all of which including Labour have helped to devastate the UK and its economy.

Edited by billybong