Decent Christmas Telly

Ologhai Jones

HOLA441
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Apart from the obvious and much trailed, does anyone know of anything decent on TV over Christmas this year?

The 'obvious' being:

- Sherlock

- Doctor Who

We only have Freeview by the way, so if there's something wonderful on Sky or something, that won't be much use to me. :)

One person's Decent is another person's Dire.

I have invested £3.20 in a Christmas Radio Times to see what I can record, since we are going for 3 nights to friends who usually want my Dire.

Come what may i shall be watching Carols from Kings on Chr. Eve, though. Might have to escape to kitchen or bedroom to do it.

HOLA444

Depends on your tastes. There's something of a Hammer film season on BBC 2 which may appeal (if you like Sherlock/Doctor Who).

Personally, I gave up relying on the TV to supply Christmas entertainment years ago. A big nosh up, a walk in the countryside, then back for Who and perhaps a pre-purchased/rented DVD. I may save revisiting a Basil Rathbone Sherlock for the big day itself (currently ploughing my way through these on Blu-ray).

HOLA445
HOLA446

One person's Decent is another person's Dire.

I have invested £3.20 in a Christmas Radio Times to see what I can record, since we are going for 3 nights to friends who usually want my Dire.

Come what may i shall be watching Carols from Kings on Chr. Eve, though. Might have to escape to kitchen or bedroom to do it.

Carols from Kings is one of the rituals here, and we don't have to slink away to another room. There's two of us; we both like it. ;)

I have a bit of a soft spot for Christmas (although I'd probably struggle to put my finger on precisely why), and I even quite like listening to people's Christmas day lunch preparations interspersed with carols on Classic FM.

I can't say that I'm relying on Christmas telly for my entertainment, but I was wondering if anyone had spotted any little nuggets that weren't necessarily being trailed like (as I say) the 'obvious' stuff.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Depends on your tastes. There's something of a Hammer film season on BBC 2 which may appeal (if you like Sherlock/Doctor Who).

Personally, I gave up relying on the TV to supply Christmas entertainment years ago. A big nosh up, a walk in the countryside, then back for Who and perhaps a pre-purchased/rented DVD. I may save revisiting a Basil Rathbone Sherlock for the big day itself (currently ploughing my way through these on Blu-ray).

Yes, I noticed an old Dracula with Christopher Lee. Scared the pants off me when I saw it at about 14. My granny had a very old edition of Dracula which I had borrowed, but even the book looked scary with old Gothic script on the cover - it got to the stage when I couldn't even sleep with the book in the room in case it somehow summoned him. :lol: Alas in those days there was no garlic in the kitchen to ward off the Undead.

HOLA4411

Carols from Kings is one of the rituals here, and we don't have to slink away to another room. There's two of us; we both like it. ;)

I have a bit of a soft spot for Christmas (although I'd probably struggle to put my finger on precisely why), and I even quite like listening to people's Christmas day lunch preparations interspersed with carols on Classic FM.

I can't say that I'm relying on Christmas telly for my entertainment, but I was wondering if anyone had spotted any little nuggets that weren't necessarily being trailed like (as I say) the 'obvious' stuff.

When we are at home it's a ritual here, too, with mulled wine and mince pies - and any guests who aren't keen just have to lump it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Yes, I noticed an old Dracula with Christopher Lee. Scared the pants off me when I saw it at about 14. My granny had a very old edition of Dracula which I had borrowed, but even the book looked scary with old Gothic script on the cover - it got to the stage when I couldn't even sleep with the book in the room in case it somehow summoned him. :lol: Alas in those days there was no garlic in the kitchen to ward off the Undead.

You can summon something much worse with a plate of chilli, garlic, and dangerous pickled onions! The Pin!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Yes, I read Dracula when I was about 12. Took a couple of months of bedtime reading, accompanied by nightmares most nights. Even now, if I get a nightmare that I actually remember it is often about vampires. Somehow, my mum made it through the Aliens novelisation but had to sleep with the bed covers over her mouth each night in case of facehuggers.

Needless to say, I neither read or watch horror (especially serial killers) late at night now. 50s Hammer hardly counts though.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

You may consider (not too unreasonably) that decent TV programmes are never put on at Christmas, but that still doesn't make it a contradiction in terms.

It was a throway jest not an attempt at a philosophical proposition.

That said one might argue what constitutes 'decent' Christmas Telly and whether people might prefer 'indecent' Christmas telly instead. I might be more inclined to watch the latter.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I would suggest you do not read M.R.James then.

He single handedly killed my interest in buying old books and antiquarian objects.

HOLA4421

I think I have a big imagination deficit, horror films have left me totally unmoved for years.

I am however affected by those excruciating comedy moments of embarrassment, those "Surely he won't say that" sort of thing, they can actually have me turning over for a bit while they get it out of the way. I found Curb Your Enthusiasm pretty unwatchable for that reason, I could see it was very good but I had to keep flicking over.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I would suggest you do not read M.R.James then.

He single handedly killed my interest in buying old books and antiquarian objects.

There's a new M.R James "ghost story for Christmas" on this year. The Tractate Middoth, on BBC2 Christmas Day at 9.30 followed by a documentary about him. Clashes with Downton and Mrs Brown's Boys though.

HOLA4425

Archived