House Price Crash Forum

Central Heating: An Early Capitulation

DeepLurker

HOLA441

I might stick mine on for 2 hours tomorrow while baking bread. Nowt as dreadful as a flat loaf.

You'll all be relieved to know I went for the bowl of boiling water in the oven method instead.

Baking bread at 7am :blink:

HOLA442

This summer has been pretty warm. Even today it was 22c.

Around Edinburgh we have had at least 5 days of 28-29c.

And loads between 20 and 25.

Unlike last summer when the only place that had a decent summer was the north west. All depends on the wind direction.

Yup, central heating's been off for oooo... at least four months. It helps that we're in a top floor flat though, sometimes I think we've got underfloor heating :lol:

Having said that, we're moving to a detached 4-bed out in the sticks next month, AND it's oil-fired heating. I'm expecting our heating bills to be similar to the Holyroods!

HOLA443

You'll all be relieved to know I went for the bowl of boiling water in the oven method instead.

Baking bread at 7am :blink:

What's that? It was just warm enough to rise on a sunny windowsill last weekend but it didn't raise brilliantly so I was wondering how to do it this weekend.

HOLA444

Yup, central heating's been off for oooo... at least four months. It helps that we're in a top floor flat though, sometimes I think we've got underfloor heating :lol:

Having said that, we're moving to a detached 4-bed out in the sticks next month, AND it's oil-fired heating. I'm expecting our heating bills to be similar to the Holyroods!

I lived in the Barbican for years and don't honestly recall ever turning on my heating for that selfsame reason, when I sold it I half-expected a complaint that it didn't work! There weren't any really cold winters and central London is always a few degrees warmer anyway.

You get some houses that are just cold, I lived in one for all of three weeks, hence my not calling for immediate bans for the people who have already put their's on in September.

HOLA445

What's that? It was just warm enough to rise on a sunny windowsill last weekend but it didn't raise brilliantly so I was wondering how to do it this weekend.

I don't know if it'll work I read it yesterday as a method. All I've done is put the bread in a cling film covered bowl as normal, then stuck it in the oven with another bowl of boiling water. I'll know in roughly an hour if it has risen okay or not. Will report back!

Another method I read is boil water in a bowl in the micro, take it out, stick the covered bread bowl in the micro, shut and leave it to rise as takes ages for the heat to dissapate.

HOLA446

Been quite warm in the South Wales Valleys so no need for the central heating. Today it's overcast with showers and we have the windows open and I'm sat typing this in just a T shirt and jeans. I don't think I've had the air con in the car higher than low in the last 4 months.

HOLA447

I don't know if it'll work I read it yesterday as a method. All I've done is put the bread in a cling film covered bowl as normal, then stuck it in the oven with another bowl of boiling water. I'll know in roughly an hour if it has risen okay or not. Will report back!

Another method I read is boil water in a bowl in the micro, take it out, stick the covered bread bowl in the micro, shut and leave it to rise as takes ages for the heat to dissapate.

Thank you :-) will try that this w/e, sounds way more efficient than my previous plan of turning the oven on and then turning it off again to let it cool down then put the dough in.

Been quite warm in the South Wales Valleys so no need for the central heating. Today it's overcast with showers and we have the windows open and I'm sat typing this in just a T shirt and jeans. I don't think I've had the air con in the car higher than low in the last 4 months.

Confession!

250px-Witch_smeller.png

Regularly putting the aircon on in the car. Thta's got to be a warning surely.

HOLA448

Thank you :-) will try that this w/e, sounds way more efficient than my previous plan of turning the oven on and then turning it off again to let it cool down then put the dough in.

Confession!

250px-Witch_smeller.png

Regularly putting the aircon on in the car. Thta's got to be a warning surely.

here's what I read, lots of methods it appears, even in the duvet!

http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010/04/the-best-place-to-let-kneaded-bread-rise.html

HOLA449

Get yourself onto the frugal living thread. :D

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Here in southern California, the issue is the other way round: when has the weather cooled down enough to turn the central air conditioning off? In contrast to Britain, the summer months are the expensive ones for utility bills here, because the aircon more or less has to be on whenever the house is occupied. I'm told that by early October, average temperatures should have cooled to the point at which a short blast in the evening is enough, and by November we should be OK with ceiling fans only (50-150w each when running, compared to 1-3kw for a central air conditioning system, depending on the size of the house). It hardly ever gets cool enough for any artificial heating to be needed, and so consequently November-March are the cheap months for electricity.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Hah!

Mrs JTB sneakily turned it on - only to discover it's bust!

Result! Although she does seem to be demanding that it be fixed. Fairly certain I can procrastinate until at least December on that, though.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Archived