House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeepLurker

Central Heating: An Early Capitulation

Sorry guys, I've let the side down I'm afraid.

I've switched the central heating on.

Bloody ridiculous weather - last Thursday I went to see London's Magical Solar Oven, all the office workers had rolled up their shirt sleeves on account of the glorious weather, everyone was smiling and laughing.

One week later, it's cold, wet and miserable, and I have to put on a hat when I step out to keep my head warm :( I've set the thermostat to 19C and the heating comes on every night. Sorry.

Hmmm. Having moved back in the spring, I wonder if I should test-drive mine to see if it works? This place isn't good for drying clothes when the outdoors is wet, so I expect I'll be wanting it once or twice a week over the darkest months.

I must admit, I've been sorely tempted for the last couple of days, mainly because I was ill. That said, my burd is much more nesh than me and has gone on record with a target to hold out until the 2nd week in October. I must therefore endure regardless.

I don't believe any of this, I think you are trolling and looking for a response. Mods please move to the Troll subforum.

I was asleep in bed this morning when the doorbell rang. Of course I ignored it. An hour later I was up and half dressed and it rang again. It was the doddery old couple who arrived last night as guests of the (absent) neighbour. Did I know how to turn on their heating? I gave them a funny look and said no. I only thought of telling them they were wimps after I had shut the door.

Had mine on two mornings ago, think I'll have another couple of hours of comfort when I get home. What the hell, I can afford it B)

Does the heating ever get switched off in Scotland for more than a few days at a time?

I distinctly remember being on a beach somewhere on the Northwest coast in early August, it was 8 degrees and blowing a gale.

Pretty place, mind, lovely white sand and clear water, but bl*ody freezing. The next day was sunny and the temperature soared to about 15C I think.

Does the heating ever get switched off in Scotland for more than a few days at a time?

I distinctly remember being on a beach somewhere on the Northwest coast in early August, it was 8 degrees and blowing a gale.

Pretty place, mind, lovely white sand and clear water, but bl*ody freezing. The next day was sunny and the temperature soared to about 15C I think.

This summer has been pretty warm. Even today it was 22c.

Around Edinburgh we have had at least 5 days of 28-29c.

And loads between 20 and 25.

Unlike last summer when the only place that had a decent summer was the north west. All depends on the wind direction.

I've just got in from a walk near my village, wearing a t shirt and I'm still sweating! Sun has been shining blue sky with clouds no wind and

30 miles north of London :)

Well, call me a wimp if you want, but I'm not alone - I've just been into the garden and I could clearly smell a coal fire :P

Oh I've already seen a few smoke plumes from chimneys and yesterday saw a chimney sweeps van.

Chim chiminey....

I've just got in from a walk near my village, wearing a t shirt and I'm still sweating! Sun has been shining blue sky with clouds no wind and

30 miles north of London :)

You own a village, beyond your walled garden?

Not too shabby in the Great White North

Just been for a lunchtime run, thank goodness for air conditioning.

I was asleep in bed this morning when the doorbell rang. Of course I ignored it. An hour later I was up and half dressed and it rang again. It was the doddery old couple who arrived last night as guests of the (absent) neighbour. Did I know how to turn on their heating? I gave them a funny look and said no. I only thought of telling them they were wimps after I had shut the door.

How neighbourly of you!

Mrs JTB has put in her first request of the year. Declined. As will they all be until mid November at the very earliest.

However the sofa blankets are now out and have already been used by guests.

I have to admit to putting the heating on for around 2 hours earlier this week. However tonight I had the front door open as it was too warm. This British climate is so unpredictable....

How neighbourly of you!

These kind of second-homers are not neighbours, they are toffs who swan in and assume the locals, being a few rungs down the class ladder, will attend to their every need and whim.