House Price Crash Forum

Vw Golf Tdi 150

motch

HOLA441

OK, I need a reliable, quick, good on fuel Car. The Golf Mk4 TDi 150 looks good all around for me. Any thoughts?

Any views on other similar cars that might suit me. Must not be too big, needs to go in a smallish parking space.

I see a few Mk4's about 10 years old for around the 2-3k mark.

HOLA442

Fabia vRS? Ibiza Sport 130?

The 130 engine is a bit more reliable due to lower state of tune, but still quick. Heck even my 100 is quick enough 'on the move'.

Nothing I can think of comes close to the VAG cars of that era for quick TDI cheapies.

HOLA443

I have a bora which is pretty much the same i think ?

1.9tdi - thinks its 130.

Solid engine. Just solid all round. Decent turn of speed - not fast though.

Def recommended. Only thing against it - sits pretty low. So in a place like Edinburgh where the roads are a mess and speedbumps everywhere , i have had a fair few spring changes - most on the front suspension.

Apart from that - great solid car.

HOLA444

OK, I need a reliable, quick, good on fuel Car. The Golf Mk4 TDi 150 looks good all around for me. Any thoughts?

Any views on other similar cars that might suit me. Must not be too big, needs to go in a smallish parking space.

Cracking car the only advice is try and find one with a VAG service history as they suffer from worn cam lobes on the injector cam (pd engine) if the wrong grade of oil was used which was common when they first come into production

HOLA445

How many miles/annum are you expecting to do?

HOLA446

Had a Mk4 petrol turbo.

My favourite car ever, including bigger Audis. I'd prefer not to have the sports suspension now though as I'm getting on a bit. Everyone should have a golf, anything else is superflous imo.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Octavia VRS.

Honda Civic Type R.

Or even this :

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302185388836/sort/default/usedcars/model/civic/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/keywords/lpg/page/1/postcode/sn169eg/radius/1501?logcode=p

A diesel will end up costing you more unless you're doing a huge mileage, especially an old one, unless you can fix fuel pumps and the like yourself.

HOLA4410

Octavia VRS.

Honda Civic Type R.

Or even this :

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201302185388836/sort/default/usedcars/model/civic/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/keywords/lpg/page/1/postcode/sn169eg/radius/1501?logcode=p

A diesel will end up costing you more unless you're doing a huge mileage, especially an old one, unless you can fix fuel pumps and the like yourself.

I rather like previous mark ...I just can't get on with that newer model's styling...not my dosh though :)

HOLA4411

Celica 1.8 VVT-i petrol so no diesel DMF/turbo/injectors/pump issues. Should be good for 40mpg (compared with 50mpg for the 1.9 TDI, although unsure what state of tune that refers to).

140bhp, so wont be too quick. There's always the 190 version but the fuel economy will suffer.

Can get a sub 80k miler for a couple of grand by the looks of it:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303285995216/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/model/celica/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/ch22ph?logcode=p

HOLA4412

Celica 1.8 VVT-i petrol so no diesel DMF/turbo/injectors/pump issues. Should be good for 40mpg (compared with 50mpg for the 1.9 TDI, although unsure what state of tune that refers to).

140bhp, so wont be too quick. There's always the 190 version but the fuel economy will suffer.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303285995216/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/model/celica/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/page/1/radius/1500/postcode/ch22ph?logcode=p

That is the car I am after later this year. Not sure on whether to get the 140 or 189 model. I notice there is a 10mpg difference but the 189 has nice leather interior where as teh 140 interior looks cheap nad a bit uncomfortable.

HOLA4413

I rather like previous mark ...I just can't get on with that newer model's styling...not my dosh though :)

The last but one Civic is not a thing of beauty, true, but it's reliable, has 140 bhp, acceptable if not great handling, the best seats of any recent car in that class by miles, and with the LPG you'd get about 70-75mpg equivalent. Just check it's an appropriate LPG conversion for that engine - it should be as it was done early in the life of the car.

A great allrounder I'd say although I prefer cars with spare wheel wells for LPG conversions as that way you don't lose space.

HOLA4414

That is the car I am after later this year. Not sure on whether to get the 140 or 189 model. I notice there is a 10mpg difference but the 189 has nice leather interior where as teh 140 interior looks cheap nad a bit uncomfortable.

I expect the 190 is a hoot but I don't know how much difference in performance/economy there is when driving normally on public roads. Finding a used 190 which hasn't been thrashed might be the hardest task.

HOLA4415

I had the 130pd of that car, and had it chipped to about 155bhp.

Great car, and I did 150k miles before selling it. I did ruin the gear box (well, thrust bearing apparently) and I just sold it as it was for £1.7k

The higher bhp will cause more wear and tear, but it is a great engine.

I would buy that car again, although if I did find a low mileage model it would be too expensive for what it is!

HOLA4416

140bhp, so wont be too quick. There's always the 190 version but the economy will suffer.

Needs to be the 190.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

an extra 20 bhp, for a similar price, hopefully

You better be hopeful. Increased cam lobe wear and turbo issues on the 150. Also said to be not as nice to drive as the 130 (due to bigger turbo).

Good base if you want to tune, bigger objectors and turbo, presumably bigger IC too. But if youre not going down that route or prepared to spend money on it then a 130 might be the way to go. More available in more guises and an extra £200-300 will get you the extra 20hp very easily through engine tuning.

HOLA4421

You better be hopeful. Increased cam lobe wear and turbo issues on the 150. Also said to be not as nice to drive as the 130 (due to bigger turbo).

Good base if you want to tune, bigger objectors and turbo, presumably bigger IC too. But if youre not going down that route or prepared to spend money on it then a 130 might be the way to go. More available in more guises and an extra £200-300 will get you the extra 20hp very easily through engine tuning.

I owned a mark1 Gti a few years ago tuned to around 145bhp, with it being under a ton it was pretty nippy to say the least. it would actually do around 40mpg if driven at around 60-70mph constant, had a tdi gearbox, clutch set up etc, bored out to a 1.9L with a longer stroke so nice and torquey.

i'm looking for the best of both worlds, plenty of oomph and good mpg, with good reliability. Also the car needs to get a couple of bikes in the back with the front wheels taken out only for convenience. and not too big as car parking space a little tight. The celica could be an option if bikes can go in the back. A beemer might be a little too long, I'm also not overly keen on getting a beemer but it's a possibility.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I think if my stocks do well over the next 12 months I may actually skip the Celica idea and get one of these

link

Go for a Brera instead. Ignore those who say "Alfa's just rust to pieces"...I've had my 01 (2002) plate 156 for 6 years, and there's been very little go wrong with it (so far)....Post 2002 Alfa's are top notch...it was the earlier models that rusted, and had major electrical problems...

For instance...Brera on Autotrader

The JTD's are fantasically torquey...

HOLA4425

Archived