House Price Crash Forum

Latest Pay Figures From National Statistics

IMupNorth

HOLA441

Just thought I'd add this link for you all to digest the latest info on pay rates.

http://www.nationalstatistics.org.uk/pdfdir/ashe1105.pdf

It states Mr & Mrs Middle of the Road earn £22,900 per year. Give or take a bit, that means a working couple bring in about £46k per annum.

Leave you all to work out what that means they can afford in terms of a mortgage !!

HOLA442
HOLA443

Just thought I'd add this link for you all to digest the latest info on pay rates.

It states Mr & Mrs Middle of the Road earn £22,900 per year. Give or take a bit, that means a working couple bring in about £46k per annum.

Leave you all to work out what that means they can afford in terms of a mortgage !!

F**k all?

They'll spend a third of that on child care.

HOLA444

Is it TTRTR who will be along to tell us that that's rot because everyone he knows is really making a fortune that is hidden from the IR?

Anyways I'm beginning to think these figures should really be about what people can borrow.

So headline "Mr. and Mrs. Average can borrow £xxxxx".

Seems to be more relevant these days.

HOLA445

Is it TTRTR who will be along to tell us that that's rot because everyone he knows is really making a fortune that is hidden from the IR?

Anyways I'm beginning to think these figures should really be about what people can borrow.

So headline "Mr. and Mrs. Average can borrow £xxxxx".

Seems to be more relevant these days.

Mr and mrs average... £22,900..

Well thats a very little bit more then me...

and I live in devon..

So I am not doing too bad... :)

its not what they can afford to borrow.. right now...

thats what caused the boom..

Unfortuntaly... its what they can afford to pay back..

thats the bust..

Real wages have dropped... since labour..

notlinked to inflation.. but the average wage..

nice..

and there has been inflation ..

ouch..

HOLA446
HOLA447

That Spanker David wotshisname from The Times was saying 'average' man earns 30k...I posted up as mail-lite to point out this 'fact' seemed a little dubious....What I wanted to say was - you F!cking LIAR!!! what planet are you on?

30k average wage.....my !rse.

HOLA448

According to the ONS, average household income in 2003-2004 was about 27K. If they got the 4% Gordon Brown "special" public sector wage rise, average household income is now 28K. 28K X 3.5 = 98K. Even with a substantial deposit, that will not get you anywhere near the average house and in some places, it will get you nothing at all.

Must try harder.

Edited by gone west

HOLA449

That Spanker David wotshisname from The Times was saying 'average' man earns 30k...I posted up as mail-lite to point out this 'fact' seemed a little dubious....What I wanted to say was - you F!cking LIAR!!! what planet are you on?

30k average wage.....my !rse.

If you ever speak to any proper City-type knobheads, you will soon find that they cannot conceive that anyone could earn less than £30k a year. That's probably where he got the number from.

They only regard people like themselves to be of any relevance. Everyone else is subhuman.

HOLA4410

If you ever speak to any proper City-type knobheads, you will soon find that they cannot conceive that anyone could earn less than £30k a year. That's probably where he got the number from.

They only regard people like themselves to be of any relevance. Everyone else is subhuman.

I remember speaking once to a knuckle-dragging swaps trader about the plight of the cleaning staff on the trading floor. His response,

"They might be getting 15 quid an hour, but they get paid every month, I only get paid once a year." Intimating that his salary to him (probably 80-100k) is nothing, its his bonus that counts.

How to be wrong and insensitive in one sentence.

Edited by gone west

HOLA4411

Pity this is not "average household income" which is nearer £30k reflecting the real number of two full time employed couples. Also a pity it does n't take into account full time child care which is running at £300-£450 a week depending where you live (this is after tax - means £15k a year ish) which would reduce a double wage. I have digested the table on pay rates and what it means - have you? Ever thought about becoming a journalist?

HOLA4412

I remember speaking once to a knuckle-dragging swaps trader about the plight of the cleaning staff on the trading floor. His response,

"They might be getting 15 quid an hour, but they get paid every month, I only get paid once a year." Intimating that his salary to him (probably 80-100k) is nothing, its his bonus that counts.

How to be wrong and insensitive in one sentence.

Indeed, but apart from the obvious disparity the basic fact remains that he being rich doesn't make them poor, it isn't a zero sum game, if we bankrupted him tomorrow those cleaners would still be equally exploited regardless.

HOLA4413

Indeed, but apart from the obvious disparity the basic fact remains that he being rich doesn't make them poor, it isn't a zero sum game, if we bankrupted him tomorrow those cleaners would still be equally exploited regardless.

Totally agree. I did think that the cleaners where, in general, better human beings than the traders, however. :D

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Yeah, but how much did this Dickens bloke make?

Oh, lots. But he was socially conscious so we don't discuss such things in polite society, exploiting the plight of others through shameless self-promotion doesn't count in such cases, Dickens was successful in his own right just as others today are woefully gifted and known in their own right for their boundless recording talents, like Gandalf for example, err Geldof.