House Price Crash Forum

Daily Express

libitina

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.express.co.uk/

I haven't read it, I just saw it in passing, but sub headers mention gas running out and 3 day weeks. :D

Edit:

Clearer view here http://www.sky.com/skynews/picture_gallery...00531-3,00.html

I'm soooooo impressed! The Express can see into the future!

It knows how cold this coming winter is going to be. (How?)

It knows that gas 'could' run out. (I also know that pigs 'could' fly).

It knows that 'three day week looms'. (How?)

And, some people call this a newspaper! Readers - please try The Beano or The Dandy because they're much more realistic!

p

HOLA443
HOLA444

I'm soooooo impressed! The Express can see into the future!

It knows how cold this coming winter is going to be. (How?)

It knows that gas 'could' run out. (I also know that pigs 'could' fly).

It knows that 'three day week looms'. (How?)

And, some people call this a newspaper! Readers - please try The Beano or The Dandy because they're much more realistic!

p

To be fair he has a point, it's known as the "Daily Depress" in our office

:lol:

HOLA445
HOLA446

Oh really... that's umm... ok, then.... uh huh....

(not listening - just staring at that avatar.... again)

Hehehe...I have a better one than that that I use on another forum, but if I used it on here you lot would never get any work done. ;)

HOLA447

The Met office have been saying for some time that it'll be a cold winter this year - some people reckon they're always saying it but its never got this much media attention before.

Gas could rung out. We import gas. We dont' store gas (Although we're starting to once planning gets sorted on salt caves storage)

The govt are aware of this and industry has kindly said it'll shut down rather than interupt the domestic supply.

Problems include: we burn gas for heating and also power stations burn it to make the electricity we use too. There's not enough nuclear power to keep us going in electricity even.

Apparently Cornwall is shut off first. (Where did I read that recently?)

The 3 day week will occur when there's not enough electric to go round and so you'll spend half the week without anything.

This happened several times in the 70's.

Generators are available at places like b&q and screwfix if you're interested.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest Charlie The Tramp

During the great freeze of 1962 there were limited selective power cuts for periods of about an hour when demand exceeded supply, until other PSs could be brought online.

Today due to the drop in demand, no industry and lower power consumption appliances, many PSs were decommissioned and demolished.

So in my opinion the government knows that in the event of another deep freeze, demand will outstrip available supply and there will be problems.

Just observe nature she is giving a warning of a very cold winter and looking to protect her wards. ;)

The 3 day week will occur when there's not enough electric to go round and so you'll spend half the week without anything. This happened several times in the 70's.

Power cuts happend during Ted Heath`s 3 day week from December 1973 until he called the election in February 1974. They were for periods of 3 to 4 hours duration on a rota basis, so your 4 hours would come round to midnight to 4 am probably twice a week sometimes all escaping weekends when industry shut down.

HOLA4411

It knows how cold this coming winter is going to be. (How?) [patprimer74]

This can be foretold from observations of unseasonal flocks of waxwings and the thickness of hair on a badger's chest.

'Bill Foggitt':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/Story/0,...1307539,00.html

His media career started after he sent a letter to a national newspaper in 1946, suggesting that an unseasonal flock of waxwings in Thirsk portended a cold winter.

Gas could rung out. [sarahBell]

Better get on the gas ladder then.

HOLA4412

It knows how cold this coming winter is going to be. (How?) [patprimer74]

This can be foretold from observations of unseasonal flocks of waxwings and the thickness of hair on a badger's chest.

'Bill Foggitt':

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/Story/0,...1307539,00.html

Gas could rung out. [sarahBell]

Better get on the gas ladder then.

No a much better idea is to find something that won't be a ladder and get on that. :)

HOLA4413

The risk of gas shortages is real enough in a few years time but I suspect this is pure spin to worry the public and ease the way towrds commiting the necessary funding for building Nuclear powerstations.

HOLA4414

The risk of gas shortages is real enough in a few years time but I suspect this is pure spin to worry the public and ease the way towrds commiting the necessary funding for building Nuclear powerstations.

And, of course, the tax rises.

It's like this. That nasty Mrs. Thatcher beat the crap out of the holy miners and drove the mining industry into the ground - as it were.

Now we're stuck using imported gas. We haven't got time or the inclination to get the miners back to work - so we have no choice but to build a new generation of green nuclear power stations.

By the way, we have to pop income tax up 3p for a while to do it and, as a by-product, we'll be able to plug the budget deficit.

HOLA4415
Guest Bart of Darkness

JESUS Bill Foggitt!

I used to remember they had a little bit featuring him after "Calendar" in the YTV region in the 1970s (in the days when Richard Whiteley and Austin Mitchell presented it together). Just a few still photographs with "Mr Foggitt says..." and whatever his prediction was.

I'd trust him more than Michael Fish any day.

Top man.

HOLA4416

Hehehe...I have a better one than that that I use on another forum, but if I used it on here you lot would never get any work done. ;)

'libitina' is that the word for goddess of death or something from Greek Mythology, I think it means something like that, does anyone know!.

Edited by deano

HOLA4417

'libitina' is that the word for goddess of death or something from Greek Mythology, I think it means something like that, does anyone know!.

Libitina

by Micha F. Lindemans

Spacer image (1px).

Cite, rate, or print article Send comment Used sources

Spacer image (1px).

The Roman goddess of corpses and the funeral, her name often being a synonym for death itself. In her temple all the necessary equipment for burials were kept. Here, people could rent these attributes as well as grave diggers. Later she was equated with Proserpina.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

The 3 day week will occur when there's not enough electric to go round and so you'll spend half the week without anything.

This happened several times in the 70's.

Generators are available at places like b&q and screwfix if you're interested.

I can tell you that being stuck at home with Mrs Chopper and having no power for days really sucks, on the positive side I've never had so much oral sex.

I take the rough with the smooth

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

NO,riser!

everybody knows that nuclear reactors take 5 years plus to build!!

it's a cynical ploy to get us all piling down to next in droves and cleaning them out of jumpers!

.....presto....consumer spending problem gone!!!

HOLA4423