House Price Crash Forum

The Seven Habits Of Fabulously Wealthy People

HOLA441

18562nk3.jpg

All knowing wisdom, inner focus. One must be at one with the flows of the universe. One may not be rich in the monetary sense tomorrow (although it will come in time with patience and perseverance).

Dotf.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Have read a few of these books and the better ones usually contain a few excellent and worthwhile insights wrapped in pages and pages of padding and fluff.

Someone lent me ‘The E-Myth Revisited’ recently, and again, some great little nuggest regarding running a start-up, padded out with loads of American style psychobabble and self-help waffle.

The exceptions to the above would be Felix Dennis, all-round excellent book and The Millionaire Next Door, which is not really a self-help book but more an academic study of millionaires in the USA and how they aquirred their wealth. Interesting and insightful, but probably a bit dated by now.

Actually, the only self-help book I have ever read that I can honestly say had a big impact on my life was Allan Carr’s Easyway to Stop Smoking. Pure genius. I chucked the fags away ten years ago and havn’t had a craving since. Worth every penny, I don’t know why the NHS doesn’t make it compulsory reading for all smokers wanting to quit.

Edited by Tuberider

HOLA443

My DBIL* (can I say that here?!) is attending a course on Covey's "7 habits of highly effective people". And I wondered, who wants to be effective when you could be stinking rich?

So, what would your 7 top tips be for becoming inordinately wealthy?

As a refresher, here's the plodder Covey's mundane, "let's get things done, look busy and achieve some self-actualisation before we die" list:

Habit 1: Be Proactive

Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind

Habit 3: Put First Things First

Habit 4: Think Win-Win

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood

Habit 6: Synergize

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw

I'm looking for something a bit more worldly wise (and frankly easier) from the resident HPC misanthropes. The interwebs being what they are, this has probably been done before: so by all means, plagiarise.

*Dear brother in law

Can't bear self improvement books these days why can't any of these people write a self improvement that actually talks about the real world, or something that is practical as opposed to this type of nonsense.

If you want a book for describing the Real World try - 33 Strategies of War, by Robert Greene.

We are taught early on in life that those who are outwardly combative and aggressive pay a social price: unpopularity and isolation. These values of harmony and cooperation are perpetuated in subtle and not-s0-subtle ways – through books on how to be successful in life; through the pleasant, peaceful exteriors that those who have gotten ahead in the world present to the public; through notions of correctness that saturate the public space.

The problem for us is that we are trained and prepared for peace, and we are not at all prepared for what confronts us in the real world war.

This war exists on several levels.

Most obviously, we have our rivals on the other side. The world has become increasingly competitive and nasty. In politics, business, even the arts, we face opponents who will do almost anything to gain an edge.

More troubling and complex, however are the battles we face with those who are supposedly on our side. There are those who outwardly play the team game, who act very friendly and agreeable, but who sabotage su behind the scenes, use the group to promote their own agenda.

Others more difficult to spot, play subtle games of passive aggression, offering help that never comes, instilling guilt as a secret weapon. On the surface everything seems peaceful enough, but just below it, it is every man and woman for him or herself, this dynamic infecting even families and relationships.

The culture may deny this reality and promote a gentler picture, but we know it and feel it, in our battle scars.

HOLA444

My DBIL* (can I say that here?!) is attending a course on Covey's "7 habits of highly effective people". And I wondered, who wants to be effective when you could be stinking rich?

As a refresher, here's the plodder Covey's mundane, "let's get things done, look busy and achieve some self-actualisation before we die" list:

BULLSH1T BINGO!!!!!!!!.....I WIN

I'm looking for something a bit more worldly wise (and frankly easier) from the resident HPC misanthropes. The interwebs being what they are, this has probably been done before: so by all means, plagiarise.

*Dear brother in law

HOLA445
HOLA446

Have read a few of these books and the better ones usually contain a few excellent and worthwhile insights wrapped in pages and pages of padding and fluff.

Someone lent me ‘The E-Myth Revisited’ recently, and again, some great little nuggest regarding running a start-up, padded out with loads of American style psychobabble and self-help waffle.

The exceptions to the above would be Felix Dennis, all-round excellent book and The Millionaire Next Door, which is not really a self-help book but more an academic study of millionaires in the USA and how they aquirred their wealth. Interesting and insightful, but probably a bit dated by now.

Actually, the only self-help book I have ever read that I can honestly say had a big impact on my life was Allan Carr’s Easyway to Stop Smoking. Pure genius. I chucked the fags away ten years ago and havn’t had a craving since. Worth every penny, I don’t know why the NHS doesn’t make it compulsory reading for all smokers wanting to quit.

Agreed - Mr Carr's book was very good, though I disagree with him on pipe and cigar smoking (he claimed they were just a substitute for cigarette addicts in denial).

The original self help book, called, oddly enough 'Self Help' by Samuel Smiles, is quite a good read (as is his other book, 'Thrift'). Both available free on Kindle.

HOLA447

*Dear brother in law

WIN WIN or WW is illuminati - who started THE MAFIA and WW (with criss crossed WW's) was the sign of THE FASCISTS in Italy

Satanists give their lives over to serving Lucifer/Satan usually for 7 years in return for promise of huge earthly wealth

No thought of what happens beyond

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Best advice I've been given so far is never turn down a free pint and never waste an errection.

I'm almost positive that won't make you a millionaire, although it does tally nicely with the child benefit ideas.