House Price Crash Forum

Hunter Wellies Sale Helps Tory Minister Lord Marland Fill His Boots

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8961909/Hunter-wellies-sale-helps-Tory-minister-Lord-Marland-fill-his-boots.html

Searchlight Capital Partners, a US private equity company, has bought a majority stake in the manufacturer of the distinctive green wellington boots. This will be the first time in the company's 150-year history that its owner has not been British.

The new owners want to take the brand, already a favourite with Kate Moss, and Naomi Campbell, and expand it further overseas and into new product areas.

It is undisclosed how much Searchlight paid for its stake, or how much it has bought. But the deal is likely to value Hunter Boots well in excess of £100m.

I wonder what the leverage is behind the debt that's bought out the company as I doubt PE will have actually put up cash.

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Control

<rant-on>

By coincidence a few weeks ago I almost bought a pair of Hunter wellies. I decided against it because in the shop I noticed there was no "Made In" mark on them, which always makes me suspicious. I try and buy UK made goods and thought because the Prince of Wales' crest or possibly it was the Duke of Edinburgh's - I can never tell them apart, was stamped boldly on the inside they were made in the UK. Deciding to check before paying I find out they shut their factory in Dumfriesshire and shipped production to the far east in 2008.

The reasons cited were a dispute with their landlord over the factory rent and repairs. A factory that was built in the 1930s.

It bothers me that the Royals are still happy to endorse manufacturers who are willing to do sacrifice local jobs. I am not a big one for the idea of "global brands" and assuming that because the company is British we see many of the benefits here. The loss o the manufacturing has in all likely hood left the taxpayers picking up the tab for benefits to people who had previously been employed. I'd imagine Dumfriesshire isn't an employment hot-spot. I wanted Hunter because they are among the sturdiest and hard wearing wellies I've ever owned.

Hunter's products are premium price, which hasn't changed since the move. In the end I decided to go French (touchy considering recent argie-bargy), and get some Aigles as they are actually made in France instead of shipped halfway around the planet. In global terms this counts as reasonably local in my book.

Apologies and... </rant-off>

HOLA444

<rant-on>

By coincidence a few weeks ago I almost bought a pair of Hunter wellies. I decided against it because in the shop I noticed there was no "Made In" mark on them, which always makes me suspicious. I try and buy UK made goods and thought because the Prince of Wales' crest or possibly it was the Duke of Edinburgh's - I can never tell them apart, was stamped boldly on the inside they were made in the UK. Deciding to check before paying I find out they shut their factory in Dumfriesshire and shipped production to the far east in 2008.

The reasons cited were a dispute with their landlord over the factory rent and repairs. A factory that was built in the 1930s.

It bothers me that the Royals are still happy to endorse manufacturers who are willing to do sacrifice local jobs. I am not a big one for the idea of "global brands" and assuming that because the company is British we see many of the benefits here. The loss o the manufacturing has in all likely hood left the taxpayers picking up the tab for benefits to people who had previously been employed. I'd imagine Dumfriesshire isn't an employment hot-spot. I wanted Hunter because they are among the sturdiest and hard wearing wellies I've ever owned.

Hunter's products are premium price, which hasn't changed since the move. In the end I decided to go French (touchy considering recent argie-bargy), and get some Aigles as they are actually made in France instead of shipped halfway around the planet. In global terms this counts as reasonably local in my book.

Good choice. If more people thought about local jobs when making purchasing decisions, things like globalisation and the "Tesco-ing of the high street" would feel some push back. I think that the collective results of individual actions have got us to where we are to-day in these areas and that voluntary, rational changes in individual behaviour rather than policy prescriptions will get us to where we, as a society, want to be in the future.

HOLA445

<rant-on>

Surely so long as these are marketed in the UK the majority of the "manufacturing" is done on these shores.

Cost to produce plastic wellies: £4

Cost to advertise everywhere to somehow convince people to pay over £60: £35

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Control

Surely so long as these are marketed in the UK the majority of the "manufacturing" is done on these shores.

Cost to produce plastic wellies: £4

Cost to advertise everywhere to somehow convince people to pay over £60: £35

I suppose that is another perspective. In relation to each other which aspect employs more people though. The manufacture or the marketing? In the olden days marketing departments used to be small departments within the larger organization.

You also assume the company doing the marketing are UK based based. It's plausible for an outsourced manufacturer to use a global ad agency with only a small office in the UK, or indeed none at all. Thereby supporting more off-shoring of jobs.

Your point about the cost pf production would also undermine the original argument for relocating the manufacturing out of the UK. If it's so cheap to make them why go abroad?

I suspect that it costs considerably more than £4 to make a pair of hunters. They weigh a ton and feel bulletproof when you wear them. There is still good chance there will be a net cost to the taxpayer as some of the people who lose their jobs may struggle to find alternative employment and end up on benefit long term. Not to mention the social cost to small towns when companies that can be the main employer up sticks and go abroad. I'll be sticking to my principle of buying as locally as I possibly can.

HOLA448

I suppose that is another perspective. In relation to each other which aspect employs more people though. The manufacture or the marketing? In the olden days marketing departments used to be small departments within the larger organization.

You also assume the company doing the marketing are UK based based. It's plausible for an outsourced manufacturer to use a global ad agency with only a small office in the UK, or indeed none at all. Thereby supporting more off-shoring of jobs.

Your point about the cost pf production would also undermine the original argument for relocating the manufacturing out of the UK. If it's so cheap to make them why go abroad?

I suspect that it costs considerably more than £4 to make a pair of hunters. They weigh a ton and feel bulletproof when you wear them. There is still good chance there will be a net cost to the taxpayer as some of the people who lose their jobs may struggle to find alternative employment and end up on benefit long term. Not to mention the social cost to small towns when companies that can be the main employer up sticks and go abroad. I'll be sticking to my principle of buying as locally as I possibly can.

Probably not much more.

Upper : Made from natural rubber compounds, our boots are vulcanised to achieve greater strength which allows the boot to hold its shape better

Outsole : Traditional calendered natural rubber sole

Lining : Quick dry knitted nylon lining known for its hard wearing properties and ability to allow the foot to slip in and out easily

Footbed : Multi-layer cushioned sponge insole which adds extra comfort and aids fit

Weight : 1900 gms/pair (size 7)

So about 2kg of natural rubber compounds, sponge and nylon lining. Natural rubber is about $3.50 per kg however the rubber compounds used in the manufacture of these wellies will be a fraction of that price. Add a bit of sponge, nylon and packing in a factory with $10 a day labour costs churning out thousands of boots a day and you will find that the ex works cost will be close to the GBP4 estimate.

HOLA449

Probably not much more.

Upper : Made from natural rubber compounds, our boots are vulcanised to achieve greater strength which allows the boot to hold its shape better

Outsole : Traditional calendered natural rubber sole

Lining : Quick dry knitted nylon lining known for its hard wearing properties and ability to allow the foot to slip in and out easily

Footbed : Multi-layer cushioned sponge insole which adds extra comfort and aids fit

Weight : 1900 gms/pair (size 7)

So about 2kg of natural rubber compounds, sponge and nylon lining. Natural rubber is about $3.50 per kg however the rubber compounds used in the manufacture of these wellies will be a fraction of that price. Add a bit of sponge, nylon and packing in a factory with $10 a day labour costs churning out thousands of boots a day and you will find that the ex works cost will be close to the GBP4 estimate.

For me the central point here is that we cannot move forward as a country when we are hostage to consumerism stoked by marketing. Too many people in the UK are spending money on stuff like this instead of a £5 pair of generic wellies and then saving the rest or putting it back into something that creates genuine wealth. The gap between the £5 pair and the £60 pair is perception, created by marketing as a display of wealth rather than a response to needing to keep one's feet dry. I see it as the opposite of the intended effect, an admission of a lack of confidence that needs to be supplemented by an attempt to purchase self-confidence from a 3rd party.

A bit over the top perhaps and apologies to the OP who I'm sure is a nice person and I in no way mean to say that this is worse than boiling badgers alive. His/her principle of buying locally is to be applauded and if more people did this it would surely help the country, even more than what I'm talking about above.

Edited by bmf

HOLA4410

For me the central point here is that we cannot move forward as a country when we are hostage to consumerism stoked by marketing. Too many people in the UK are spending money on stuff like this instead of a £5 pair of generic wellies and then saving the rest or putting it back into something that creates genuine wealth. The gap between the £5 pair and the £60 pair is perception, created by marketing as a display of wealth rather than a response to needing to keep one's feet dry. I see it as the opposite of the intended effect, an admission of a lack of confidence that needs to be supplemented by an attempt to purchase self-confidence from a 3rd party.

I wear skellington boots mainly for messing around in boats and going to the odd music festival. I'd be very nervous about leaving a pair costing £60 on a river bank or unattended in a tent. My current pair were purchased for £6 from Asda about 4 years ago and are still going strong.

If I were a farmer or a gardener, then a more expensive pair might be in order.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

A bit over the top perhaps and apologies to the OP who I'm sure is a nice person and I in no way mean to say that this is worse than boiling badgers alive. His/her principle of buying locally is to be applauded and if more people did this it would surely help the country, even more than what I'm talking about above.

I think that there's a valid argument to be mad for the opposite, actually. I think we should be spending more on quality products made locally that will last longer and will be repaired rather than replaced - in many ways the opposite of consumerism, which relies on rapid turnover of goods. No-one will think twice about throwing out a pair of £5 wellies and I think they are a false economy.

My favourite footwear is a pair of UK-made leather brogue boots that cost a fair whack but I fully expect to last 20+ years with possibly the odd resole. I have another pair from the same maker that are 15 years old already and on their original soles.

Having said that, and you allude to this in your post, the situation we see to often now is that the 'brand' means a high price is charged but in reality the product is no better or more locally produced. This is the worst situation possible and as you say, due to consumerism, fashion and 'brand' focused marketing.

HOLA4413

I think that there's a valid argument to be mad for the opposite, actually. I think we should be spending more on quality products made locally that will last longer and will be repaired rather than replaced - in many ways the opposite of consumerism, which relies on rapid turnover of goods. No-one will think twice about throwing out a pair of £5 wellies and I think they are a false economy.

My favourite footwear is a pair of UK-made leather brogue boots that cost a fair whack but I fully expect to last 20+ years with possibly the odd resole. I have another pair from the same maker that are 15 years old already and on their original soles.

Having said that, and you allude to this in your post, the situation we see to often now is that the 'brand' means a high price is charged but in reality the product is no better or more locally produced. This is the worst situation possible and as you say, due to consumerism, fashion and 'brand' focused marketing.

I'd agree with the sentiment of long-term thinking.

As you say, my point was that most likely much of the cost of this brand is in marketing. As if any wellies costs £60 min to make. Other posters have pointed out that own brand wellies from supermarkets have outlasted these. So your point doesn't contradict mine.

Only a beef wellington at the ivy should cost £60

HOLA4414

This is what real farmers buy: NORA

http://www.pearsonsfarmsupplies.co.uk/wellington-boots/nora-dolomite-wellington-green-534-102-.php

Price: £24.68

•An exclusive NORA Wellington and the only one to feature the famous ‘TRACTOR TREAD’ sole which gives extra grip.

•Conforms to CE 347 Standard.

•Resistant to acids manure fertilisers sprays animal fats grease oils and benzine etc.

•Anatomically-shaped footbed. Special slip resistant soles.

•Knee length.

•Unlined for easy washing and drying.

HOLA4415

<rant-on>

This is the post I was going to write... even down to the Aigles :-)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I wear skellington boots mainly for messing around in boats and going to the odd music festival. I'd be very nervous about leaving a pair costing £60 on a river bank or unattended in a tent. My current pair were purchased for £6 from Asda about 4 years ago and are still going strong.

If I were a farmer or a gardener, then a more expensive pair might be in order.

£6. That's extravagant.

Got a pair of second hand wellies for my eldest child - £1 from a jumble sale.