House Price Crash Forum

Money: £40K Average Net Family Income?

HOLA441
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The annoying thing about this is the couple with the privately educated daughter said “thanks to these wonderfully low interest rates our mortgage is £440”. They are spending £750 on her private education; they could no way afford this if it wasn’t for ZIRP.

So savers are paying for her private education!

HOLA443

The annoying thing about this is the couple with the privately educated daughter said “thanks to these wonderfully low interest rates our mortgage is £440”. They are spending £750 on her private education; they could no way afford this if it wasn’t for ZIRP.

So savers are paying for her private education!

Wasn't the only annoying thing about them

HOLA444

I had a quite serious injury earlier in the year in Bangkok that required stiches, daily clinic visits for two weeks and it came to the grand total of 1400 Baht (about 28 quid). I was seen there and then, no waiting and the nurses were pretty cute too.

But you feel free to have your money spent for you and then 'awarded' to your salary in the average figures and quote the disfunctional US if you want.

And how much Bhat is the local average wage?!? The fact that there was "no waiting" kind of answers the question.

But hey at least you're alright jack.

HOLA445

Averages are a bum

Ive just done a quick spreadsheet.

we know the average wage is around 25K

we know also, that 5% earn around 35K.

so, what I did, was have a column with 15K, 25K, 35K,40 through 100K and 1,000,000

I first did no-one had 1 mil, 2 had 100K 1 each for the 90-50K, 2 had 40K 5 had 35K and 48 and 38 for 25 and 15K respectively.

This averages out to 25750....not too bad.

Then I swap 1 25K for a 1,000,000...and the average jumps to £35500.

God help you if you have a footballer on your street.

HOLA446

This was published by the ONS in May 2011:

AverageHouseholdIncome.gif

Decile groups:

AverageHouseholdIncome2.gif

The effects of taxes and benefits on household income, 2009/2010

I see if you are in the bottom decile you are claiming less benefit than the next five deciles up according to the table. I have long suspected that to be the case. I guess we are talking those that fall outside the benefits system who have a bit put aside, self-employed (such as market traders and taxi drivers) and those who are responsible self-reliant types.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA447
HOLA448

why do they ADD pensions to earned income.

Most, I suspect, get mostly one OR the other.

and benefits in kind?

that is not income.

And they deduct compulsory taxes like VAT.

If you dont spend your income, you dont pay this.

I reckon the average disposable is more like :

30924...call it 31K for an earning family

deduct tax of say 7K leaves 24K per househould....2000 per month.

ie, the average earning for a couple and 2.4 children is £250 per week net each.

Which sort of agrees with the Chart in POST TAX INCOME

The other boxes are a tax shuffle with a HUGE chunk gone in admin costs.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Something did not add up about that retired couple...when both worked they were on £80k now on a joint £40k income/pension, home fully paid for, didn't do much apart from play bridge and they found £40k hard to live on over £3k per month to spend on themselves...many in their circumstances can easily live on a quarter of that quite comfortably and do.....2 @ £20k pensions, how the other half live and still not satisfied....can we all give up now? ;)

HOLA4412

And how much Bhat is the local average wage?!? The fact that there was "no waiting" kind of answers the question.

But hey at least you're alright jack.

Average household income in Bangkok is about 38'000 Baht, or 800 GBP. 1400 Baht (for the year) would represent 0.25% of that.

A bit less than the 20-odd percent clawed in by the NHS or US idiots.

Also, as you will see from my nick, my name is not jack.

HOLA4413

Something did not add up about that retired couple...when both worked they were on £80k now on a joint £40k income/pension, home fully paid for, didn't do much apart from play bridge and they found £40k hard to live on over £3k per month to spend on themselves...many in their circumstances can easily live on a quarter of that quite comfortably and do.....2 @ £20k pensions, how the other half live and still not satisfied....can we all give up now? ;)

one cant play bridge without a new deck every game dontchaknow..soon adds up.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They said they were addicted to cruising ("but only 5-star, not 6-star") so I imagine the money ends up on a different kind of deck.

cruising?...what driving round the red light areas picking up young lays?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

This country is welfare addicted and completely twisted :o

I think the problem is that welfare has been re-branded as mechanism to support the investments of the middle classes. The recipients are not the poor and disadvantaged. They are the well-paid but indebted, the greedy investors who want the taxpayer to pay off their losses, the BTL landlords. This is related to house price inflation, because house prices can only be maintained if the majority of people get state handouts in order to finance house purchase (either for themselves or for their landlord). We need more and more welfare payments. We even need to import people from overseas, so we can give them welfare payments, in order to subsidize the property market. The housing market is the main driver for welfare and immigration.

HOLA4419

Averages are a bum

Ive just done a quick spreadsheet.

we know the average wage is around 25K

we know also, that 5% earn around 35K.

so, what I did, was have a column with 15K, 25K, 35K,40 through 100K and 1,000,000

I first did no-one had 1 mil, 2 had 100K 1 each for the 90-50K, 2 had 40K 5 had 35K and 48 and 38 for 25 and 15K respectively.

This averages out to 25750....not too bad.

Then I swap 1 25K for a 1,000,000...and the average jumps to £35500.

God help you if you have a footballer on your street.

Except that the ONS, being statisticians, use the Median. In which case it would make very little difference if you bumped _all_ the people earning over 25k in your sample earning a billion. The median would remain 25k.

Indeed, if we take it to an extreme, and have 48 bankers all earning £1,000,000,000 and 52 cleaners all earning £11.20, we see a median wage of £11.20

Thats just how stats work...

HOLA4420

Average household income in Bangkok is about 38'000 Baht, or 800 GBP. 1400 Baht (for the year) would represent 0.25% of that.

A bit less than the 20-odd percent clawed in by the NHS or US idiots.

Also, as you will see from my nick, my name is not jack.

Your maths could do with some improvement.

And a lot of comments about how cheap everytihing is in X,Y, Z is basically saying how great it is when everyone around is so much poorer than you... (even doctors.)

HOLA4421

Your maths could do with some improvement.

And a lot of comments about how cheap everytihing is in X,Y, Z is basically saying how great it is when everyone around is so much poorer than you... (even doctors.)

Which bit of the maths is incorrect?

Thailand may be many things, but it is no longer 'cheap'. Why not stick to threads you know something about?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Which bit of the maths is incorrect?

Well i think you confused me by talking monthly salary without explaining.

Anyway your "estimates" that a thai person will be spending £28 a year on their health is pretty ludicrous:

http://www.who.int/countries/tha/en/

Thailand may be many things, but it is no longer 'cheap'. Why not stick to threads you know something about?

I don't deny that i know nothing about Thailand. I thought it was you that was saying how much cheaper it is, at least in terms of healthcare.

Personally i'd rather get ill in Britain than Thaland but what do i know.

HOLA4424

watching this on catch up, our joint income is 40k net. my wife is watching and saying "how can they have so much money, 3 cars, large house etc"

Well our rent on our one bed flat is the same as their kids private education! Their rmorgage is just over half our rent. My wife now understands why interest rates are key to a house price crash.

HOLA4425

Well i think you confused me by talking monthly salary without explaining.

Anyway your "estimates" that a thai person will be spending £28 a year on their health is pretty ludicrous:

http://www.who.int/countries/tha/en/

I don't deny that i know nothing about Thailand. I thought it was you that was saying how much cheaper it is, at least in terms of healthcare.

Personally i'd rather get ill in Britain than Thaland but what do i know.

I would have thought that the percentage itself would have demonstrated the salary period. I am sorry you are confused on a subject you do not know anything about.

On the main thrust, the healthcare is excellent in Thailand, with state of the art hospitals at one end and the Government-funded 30-Baht (70p) per visit healthcare at the other. You may think that this is ridiculous, but, then again, you freely admit you know nothing about it.

Thailand also has a large amount of health tourism inflow, so I suspect this significant skews any stats on per-capita spending, which I reiterate for a normal Thai is on the basis of the 30-Baht scheme.