House Price Crash Forum

Who Wants To See The Inside Of A Houseboat For Sale?

inflating

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Seems pricey.

Are houseboats usually that easy to pick out? Looks like someone just stuck a military dormitory on an old hull that was lying around the scrapyard.

I don't know anything about them, I thought it was a bit north in the price department as well but that's just my comparing to my own ideas on what prices should be

I once met a lady of about 60 who owns a houseboat apparently not far from there, she said it was great and she'd never have a conventional house again, but doesn't appeal to me one jot

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

They don't show any of the accomodation below the cabin, which will be cavernous. Once saw a Thames lighter conversion, which had shipping containers mounted end to end and suspended above. As these are much narrower, yet you could have stored a few family vehicles down below.

Onced costed it all, and I think a Thames lighter hull. some shipping containers, plus conversion would be at least £20-25k, plus moorings etc..

HOLA447

I've never seen one before, perhaps a few others haven't either

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29464796.html

This is a nice example, but I still wouldn't go near it. Here are the problems:

1 Finding a mooring for a boat like that will be virtually impossible.

2 Even if you do find a mooring, it'll cost you an arm and a leg. And you've already spent a whopping £200K!

3 If/when you lose your mooring, where do you go then?

4 It's not worth anywhere near £200K in the first place.

5 Boats have to come out regularly for hull inspection and work. Big boat means big expense all round.

6 Good luck heating that thing ;)

On the plus side, it's a nice dream. But I'd only rent one, never buy.

HOLA448

Seems pricey.

Are houseboats usually that easy to pick out? Looks like someone just stuck a military dormitory on an old hull that was lying around the scrapyard.

That's what I thought. Someone has just literally dumped a flat pack on top of an old barge. I don't even think a group of Eastern Europeans would be dumb enough to rent it out though.

HOLA449

£200k?

I wouldn't touch that with a bargepole! :P

If it came with a mooring in central London I could understand it.. but otherwise I reckon you'd be crazy.

How about a proper boat you can always sail around the world in if you get bored?

My link

My link

My link

My idea of a proper boat is one with at least 2 engines, where you don't spill your gin when going along at 25 knots. :D

Fairline

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I would guess the boat itself is worth 20-30k max. A secure residential mooring on the river in a city would be worth perhaps £50-70k in real life (so £150-200k+ in the current fantasy market). So this is just a joke.

I was in Oxford 10 years ago and it was always fun to see the absolute wrecks for sale, a sinking crate with a secure serviced mooring 100 yds from the town centre, (post box, telephone, mains electric and water) selling for as much as a 2 bed house in the suburbs.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I would guess the boat itself is worth 20-30k max. A secure residential mooring on the river in a city would be worth perhaps £50-70k in real life (so £150-200k+ in the current fantasy market). So this is just a joke.

I was in Oxford 10 years ago and it was always fun to see the absolute wrecks for sale, a sinking crate with a secure serviced mooring 100 yds from the town centre, (post box, telephone, mains electric and water) selling for as much as a 2 bed house in the suburbs.

The other thing is that marine mortgages are dearer, have higher deposit requirements and shorter terms. So to ask the price of a house is ridiculous unless this is to attract the "seen you coming" brigade.

You approach a bank to buy an old barge with a portakabin on top, moored in an Essex mud estuary, they will doubtless show you the door (after they have stopped laughing).

HOLA4416

Archived