House Price Crash Forum

Shocker On Today's Huth...

HOLA441

Guy buys a pokey two-up-two-down for £70k, plans to spend £20k turning into two small arsed flats, actually spends £70k somehow for a total of £140k. The pair of gel-haired cretins at the end value the flats at £50k each! Nobody even questioned where he expected the new owner to put their tv and sofa in their 'kitchen/living room' which were bordering on criminal!

Worth a watch if only for his friend squirming at the end at the thought of him losing £40k when she had a hand in all of it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ph6qy

HOLA442

Guy buys a pokey two-up-two-down for £70k, plans to spend £20k turning into two small arsed flats, actually spends £70k somehow for a total of £140k. The pair of gel-haired cretins at the end value the flats at £50k each! Nobody even questioned where he expected the new owner to put their tv and sofa in their 'kitchen/living room' which were bordering on criminal!

Worth a watch if only for his friend squirming at the end at the thought of him losing £40k when she had a hand in all of it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ph6qy

Ducking hell, what evil cretinous people....

Good to see them getting fleeced.

Ruining a half decent (with a bit of work) terrace house by turning it into two poxy horrible one bed places should be condemmed. I would love to think that some of these property developers should be made to live in some of the 'properties' they have ruined themselves so they would realise just quite how awful they are.

Worth a watch (~27 mins in) Classic quote "its a good job we are not selling on isnt it" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And then they can't even rent for as much as they thought they should get.... :)

HOLA443

The opening sequence (for want of a better word,perhaps it's intro,not sure) of animated houses and faces on fiat folding money winking,a sure sign of pathology,is obscene beyond description. I guess the irony is the "money" exiting the chimneys and that the bbc still see fit to broadcast this drivel - shame on all involved. Thanks for posting the link but life is far too short -

HOLA444
HOLA445

"We'd forgotten section 4 of the building code".

Thus a new free standing wall (packed with insulation) was required, as a consequence the kitchen had to be taken out (and put back in again). They also hadn't accounted for the requirements for sound insulation.

Even the rents predicted by the EAs was less than they expected.

Shockingly amateurish.

money-graphics-2007_874186a.jpg

HOLA446

Brilliant, thanks for posting. The car crash TV element is about 28 minutes in.

Couldn't be arsed to sit through the rest of the drivel, though if it was all like the above would be far more entertaining!

Just caught a bit about an asian pwoperdee developer in Bradford, who has 20 properties and runs a couple of care homes. Makes me really look forward to my old age. What a disgrace this country is.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Just caught a bit about an asian pwoperdee developer in Bradford, who has 20 properties and runs a couple of care homes. Makes me really look forward to my old age. What a disgrace this country is.

I forgot about that guy!

He bought a house at the auction which was located at the end of his garden. His plan was to do it up then either rent it out or LEAVE IT EMPTY because he didn't want anybody overlooking his garden! When asked what his budget was he replied 'money's not a problem'!

HOLA449
HOLA4410

'Their £25k budget was "very stretched"'

:lol:

£70k down the drain, clowns. Car crash with the valuations.

Garden still looks like a landfill site.

Anyone see today's HUTH? Remembered it from before, young couple, ground floor maisonette in Tooting, paid £199K, tarted it up. . They wanted a profit to set up 'relaxation and yoga' centre in Brazil. At the end of the prog, presenter said they 'sold' the flat the very next day! For £275K. That was Sept. 2009.

Just checked nethouseprices - in fact it finally sold 19 months later, in May 2011, for £280K.

HOLA4411

I vaguely recall seeing this one when it was first on but couldn't remember the details.

Utterly depressing that Planning Permission was ever granted to turn what was already a modestly sized family house into 2 slave boxes.:( Even Martin said at the end of his first piece that he doesn't think PP would be granted. Great to see the two fools get the wind taken away from their sails at the end. :D The woman was laughing nervously at the end.

That house would have been a great home post-renovation - and wouldn't have cost a hefty £70k to do it.

The chap said that his grandfather's construction company built the houses in the 1930s. That development wasn't a great way to honour your grandfather's memory, was it? :rolleyes:

HOLA4412

I vaguely recall seeing this one when it was first on but couldn't remember the details.

Utterly depressing that Planning Permission was ever granted to turn what was already a modestly sized family house into 2 slave boxes.:( Even Martin said at the end of his first piece that he doesn't think PP would be granted. Great to see the two fools get the wind taken away from their sails at the end. :D The woman was laughing nervously at the end.

That house would have been a great home post-renovation - and wouldn't have cost a hefty £70k to do it.

The chap said that his grandfather's construction company built the houses in the 1930s. That development wasn't a great way to honour your grandfather's memory, was it? :rolleyes:

But at least they rejected the initial proposal to convert it into two two-'bedroom' flats. Sadly the reason given was due to parking considerations - not as it should have been that it was a ducking ridiculous idea (bad enough two one bed flats but where were these greedy feckers planning on putting the extra bedrooms....)

HOLA4413

But at least they rejected the initial proposal to convert it into two two-'bedroom' flats. Sadly the reason given was due to parking considerations - not as it should have been that it was a ducking ridiculous idea (bad enough two one bed flats but where were these greedy feckers planning on putting the extra bedrooms....)

they allow a developer to condemn possibly two people to a poor quality of life by approving virtually uninhabitable conversions , yet in the evening gazette here just this week, they are prosecuting a pub landlord for having a sandwich board outside her country pub to drum up what little business she has...because it "detracts from the environment".

HOLA4414

Anyone see today's HUTH? Remembered it from before, young couple, ground floor maisonette in Tooting, paid £199K, tarted it up. . They wanted a profit to set up 'relaxation and yoga' centre in Brazil. At the end of the prog, presenter said they 'sold' the flat the very next day! For £275K. That was Sept. 2009.

Just checked nethouseprices - in fact it finally sold 19 months later, in May 2011, for £280K.

Yup

06/05/2011 Ground Floor Flat, 36, Avarn Road, London, Greater London, SW17 9HA £280,000

20/07/2009 Ground Floor Flat, 36, Avarn Road, London, Greater London, SW17 9HA £199,000

I know that road, it's one of the most popular in the area and aggresively marketed by KFH who sell most of the flats down there.

Summer 2009, when they bought, was the low in the area - when the auction guy said that this might have gone up to £240 at the peak, 'tis true, although only briefly in late 2007 I'd have thought. There is a severe shortage of flats like this in the area at the moment, most people moving up hang on to them and rent them out because tiny interest rates and rising rents mean, for now, it is profitable. Pretty much all habitable 2 beds like this are shifting for between £250 and £280

Wonder what the hold up in selling was? Their £275 the next day as quoted with usual Beeb lying property ramping style could easily have fallen through but they would have sold that for £250 easily in 2010. Maybe she got pregnant and Brazil didn't seem so attractive.

Am finding it hard to believe that they got away with that renovation for 14k though, all those pipes and wires and a wall moved. Must have been a bit of a surface job. They were lucky that the windows and doors were good.

I saw no 47 Avarn, in a similar poor state, go in this street last year for £225, think it also just sold for around £280, nothing on the sold prices yet though.

By the way...why is this thread in off-topic?!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I've had an idea. Thos two flats could be knocked into one normal house. Conversion wouldn't cost more than 30k and you'd probably end up with a place worth double that :lol::lol::lol:

If it was originally a house then I would totally agree. However, I think those places were originally built as flats, weren't they? The giveaway was the separate front doors at the front of the building - more maisonettes really. :)

HOLA4417

Yup

06/05/2011 Ground Floor Flat, 36, Avarn Road, London, Greater London, SW17 9HA £280,000

20/07/2009 Ground Floor Flat, 36, Avarn Road, London, Greater London, SW17 9HA £199,000

I know that road, it's one of the most popular in the area and aggresively marketed by KFH who sell most of the flats down there.

Summer 2009, when they bought, was the low in the area - when the auction guy said that this might have gone up to £240 at the peak, 'tis true, although only briefly in late 2007 I'd have thought. There is a severe shortage of flats like this in the area at the moment, most people moving up hang on to them and rent them out because tiny interest rates and rising rents mean, for now, it is profitable. Pretty much all habitable 2 beds like this are shifting for between £250 and £280

Wonder what the hold up in selling was? Their £275 the next day as quoted with usual Beeb lying property ramping style could easily have fallen through but they would have sold that for £250 easily in 2010. Maybe she got pregnant and Brazil didn't seem so attractive.

Am finding it hard to believe that they got away with that renovation for 14k though, all those pipes and wires and a wall moved. Must have been a bit of a surface job. They were lucky that the windows and doors were good.

I saw no 47 Avarn, in a similar poor state, go in this street last year for £225, think it also just sold for around £280, nothing on the sold prices yet though.

By the way...why is this thread in off-topic?!

Yes, I did wonder about the £14K total.

Should imagine one reason it took ages to sell was because one of the bedrooms was actually pretty small.

Layout of maisonettes around there varies widely - some miles better and more spacious than others.

Edit: look at this one, courtesy of RM the other day. Access to garden is via the bathroom!! And living room looks out on to side return and presumably next door's brick wall.

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-for-sale/details/id/CJAT9610648/?utm_campaign=email-propertyalerts&utm_medium=email&utm_source=propertyalert&ea=1

HOLA4418

Yes, I did wonder about the £14K total.

Should imagine one reason it took ages to sell was because one of the bedrooms was actually pretty small.

Layout of maisonettes around there varies widely - some miles better and more spacious than others.

Edit: look at this one, courtesy of RM the other day. Access to garden is via the bathroom!! And living room looks out on to side return and presumably next door's brick wall.

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-for-sale/details/id/CJAT9610648/?utm_campaign=email-propertyalerts&utm_medium=email&utm_source=propertyalert&ea=1

Bet that bathroom is well chilly!

That HUTH flat wasn't on the market all this time, I looked in the area in 2010 and it wasn't on and, as I say, everything I saw in the 2 bed maisonettes that was willing to come down to £250 sold.

HOLA4419

Bet that bathroom is well chilly!

That HUTH flat wasn't on the market all this time, I looked in the area in 2010 and it wasn't on and, as I say, everything I saw in the 2 bed maisonettes that was willing to come down to £250 sold.

I shall be watching that one. It says it's been recently renovated - why on earth didn't they change the layout while they were at it?

There seem to be quite a lot of m/ettes still available and prices do seem to be getting slightly less delusional. Daughter was looking in the area, has since found one of the few with a much better layout/space and nice little own garden. But it needs a lot of work, which evidently put most other buyers off. They can scrub up very nicely, though.

HOLA4420

Here's today's little gem to get the blood boiling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qzjqp

Guy buys a flat in London for his son for £125k but the problem is he doesn't want to live there! Probably a good thing as the building appears to be falling down, the communal area is a pit and after it's been done up the kitchen is tiny, the bathroom has a washing machine in it and the living room appears to now be a second bedroom in the one bedroom flat!

Auction is @ 38:00, reveal is at 49:00.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
  • 10 months later...
HOLA4423

This has just gone back on the market, just over a year later, nothing done to it, with an asking price now of ...

£339,950!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-23280690.html

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424

Archived