House Price Crash Forum

Wild Life Being Killed For Free Food

@contradevian

HOLA441
HOLA442

Town pigeons are poison, only country wood-pigeons are worth the risk, and you should check the condition.

Even they're not that great, the prep is a nuisance and you have to casserole them in a pressure cooker to get any tender meat. Rabbits are miles better - easy prep and make brilliant stew.

Wood pigeon is very tasty and very low fat, but we only use the breasts, (no need for any messy prep just slice them off and chuck the rest) slice the meat thinly and use it in stir fries. I do a chillie and pigeon Thai style stir fry with a little garlic, mushrooms, oyster sauce, fish sauce, a little sugar and spring onions and basil leaves thrown in at the last minute. Served on boiled rice its top top nosh. vary the chillies to taste or add a little dried chillie flakes and lots of black pepper to really spice it up. It's especially good if you put some fresh green pepper corns through it, but these are hard to come by.

The secret is in cooking it quick just enough to colour the meat if you do this it's almost as good as fillet steak. If you over do it the meat goes tough and starts to have the texture of tough liver.

If you stew the breast meat it can be tender but because it's so low fat it can come out dry. It makes a good stew (or a pie filling) if you use some pork stewing cuts like shoulder or cheek with the pigeon about 50/50. Chuck in a little black pudding and a good slug of wine for a really rich stew.

Bon appetite.

HOLA443

As far as I can tell there have always been tales of immigrants eating the local wildlife - before the eastern Europeans it was the Chinese who'd get the blame.

I dare say it does happen but I'd just as likely think it was non-immigrants or other wildlife as immigrants.

Personally, I am very fond of Ramsons - lovely on egg sarnies.

HOLA444

I believe mixy rabbit is OK to eat, you are going to cook it aren't you?

Most of the rubbish about immigrants eating swans and the like is the Daily Wail picking up misreported stories from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph from which they always lift racist rabble rousing stories.

If you are going to shoot woodies in the garden please make sure they are within range and you can kill them cleanly. Injured birds flapping around other people's gardens for their kids to find is both cruel and antisocial. Ditto tree rats.

Be very careful of deer ticks if you go for Muntjac etc., as they carry Lime disease which is very nasty.

There is plenty of information on preparing game on the net, read up on it first.

The rise of metal theft is always a clear marker of a deep recession/depression in the making. Robert Beckman alludes to this in his book 'Crashes and Why They Happen'.

(Old but you can still get it on Amazon 2nd hand).

Crashes - Why They Happen - fantastic book!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA445
  • 2 years later...
HOLA446

The kills were purely coincidential in that on seeing a WP on the roof would go inside get the airgun and shoot if still there.

Shooting rabbits in contrast is hard work as they are normally very wary.

Grey squirrel is not protected - infact I think its illegal to release captured ones. So eat as many as you want!

A whippet and a strong spot light makes for good catches, so a mate told me.

HOLA447
HOLA448

A whippet and a strong spot light makes for good catches, so a mate told me.

Racing dogs don't have the stamina for a night of lamping. Lurchers are favoured, usually a greyhound/alsation hybrid. Also, lamping is for hares and/or foxes. Rabbits stay close to their warrens and usually get underground before the dog gets close. Best way to get rabbits is to place nets over the entrances and send a ferret in. Downside is when the ferret decides to stay and eat one of the rabbits and needs to be dug out of the warren.