House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Wild Life Being Killed For Free Food

Wasn't sure where to post this as its more an anecdotal. Maybe the mod's can move it after a few hours.

Anyway only caught the tail end of a conversation between two women in a charity shop. One quite distraught about a friend who has had birds killed or stolen. But one of the comments was that "all the ducks, geese, and birds are being killed for free food."

Not seeing much evidence of this being reported in the mainstream media (because I suspect there is multicultural edge to this story).

Then cycling back along the canal, West Yorkshire police are out, having apprehended a man with a huge holdall full of scavenged copper wire.

What a country eh?

Edited by John Steed

Wasn't sure where to post this as its more an anecdotal. Maybe the mod's can move it after a few hours.

Anyway only caught the tail end of a conversation between two women in a charity shop. One quite distraught about a friend who has had birds killed or stolen. But one of the comments was that "all the ducks, geese, and birds are being killed for free food."

Not seeing much evidence of this being reported in the mainstream media (because I suspect there is multicultural edge to this story).

Then cycling back along the canal, West Yorkshire police are out, having apprehended a man with a huge holdall full of scavenged copper wire.

What a country eh?

If my family needed meat and I was struggling financially then ducks, rabbits, hares, geese, swans, deer, pigeons, pheasants etc would all be fair game.

Don't understand the problem, if there is one.

If my family needed meat and I was struggling financially then ducks, rabbits, hares, geese, swans, deer, pigeons, pheasants etc would all be fair game.

Don't understand the problem, if there is one.

This is how it used to be and not that long ago. A return to the norm?

Coincidentially I was talking to my dad last night who was saying netting on Fenland rivers is on the increase. Likewise carp fisheries are very vulnerable to gangs of eastern europeans with large nets

Read it too quickly and thought it said WIFE killed for free food :blink:

This bloke said to me that when a young man marries he can for the first six months literally devour his wife.....if you understand my meaning? After six months.....he wishes he had. :o

Edited by Caius

What a country eh?

With some buddies from my former dive club we salvaged 300kg of copper and brass from a wreck in the north sea. That covered the cost of quite a few diving trips :D

Read it too quickly and thought it said WIFE killed for free food :blink:

Impossible , Whale slaughter is not allowed under strict penalty from the EU gestapo.

I once hit a rabbit on my motorbike, it nearly killed me. I luckily it was near the end of the day and according to my mate it as fairly tasty.

30 years ago a mate of my dad caught a Pigeon and cooked it... he said it was horrendous, the parasites on it and the fact that the guts where filled with crud.

I once hit a rabbit on my motorbike, it nearly killed me. I luckily it was near the end of the day and according to my mate it as fairly tasty.

30 years ago a mate of my dad caught a Pigeon and cooked it... he said it was horrendous, the parasites on it and the fact that the guts where filled with crud.

i guess butchery knowledge has been lost with the supermarket era.

Town pigeons are poison, only country wood-pigeons are worth the risk, and you should check the condition.

Even they're not that great, the prep is a nuisance and you have to casserole them in a pressure cooker to get any tender meat. Rabbits are miles better - easy prep and make brilliant stew.

Maybe it's just a really really clever fox.

Edited by PopGun

Town pigeons are poison, only country wood-pigeons are worth the risk, and you should check the condition.

Even they're not that great, the prep is a nuisance and you have to casserole them in a pressure cooker to get any tender meat. Rabbits are miles better - easy prep and make brilliant stew.

When I used to live in Norfolk I would bag 2-3 wood pigeon a year with my air rifle as they perched on the aerial. Made for good eating although only worth taking the breast. Too much faffing about for the rest of the meat.

The mail periodically run stories about eastern europeans keen on angling taking their catch home. And swans. Enraging wildlife, anti-immigration and angling enthusiasts in one concise article.

Just look at the url!

You need to delete this post as it will give too many on here food for thought. :o

Not saying anything but who's going to cook her?

Never mind do the dishes?

it's not hard to pluck and gut a bird.

aye.as swissy said,better trapping rabbits.

there's a fad now for squirrel meat I believe.allow a squirrel per person

http://www.wildmeat.co.uk/squirrel_meat.htm?ac=HXN5N-U

The kills were purely coincidential in that on seeing a WP on the roof would go inside get the airgun and shoot if still there.

Shooting rabbits in contrast is hard work as they are normally very wary.

Grey squirrel is not protected - infact I think its illegal to release captured ones. So eat as many as you want!

Are they safe to eat if they have myxomatosis? There is a bad dose of it spreading through the rabbit population in the woods near to my parent's place. Potential rich pickings for the freezer?

As for eating the local wood pigeon poulation, round these parts you'll have to fight the sparrowhawks for them.

Racing pigeons too skinny to bother with? My BIL wouldn't be very happy mind.

Grey squirrel is not protected - infact I think its illegal to release captured ones. So eat as many as you want!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlK0Xd4c2c

Put his little tender butt in there ... and take it to a tailgate party!

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

Are they safe to eat if they have myxomatosis? There is a bad dose of it spreading through the rabbit population in the woods near to my parent's place. Potential rich pickings for the freezer?

As for eating the local wood pigeon poulation, round these parts you'll have to fight the sparrowhawks for them.

Racing pigeons too skinny to bother with? My BIL wouldn't be very happy mind.

Myxy rabbits? Don't know, sorry, I'd only eat one if desperate though I think it's safe. They're pretty unpleasant to look at when they've got it bad, have no idea if there's an effect on the meat. Come to think of it, myxi makes them skinny so probably not great anyway.

If you have a TFH freezer along with the beans and rice stocks you could use them for that!

Racing pigeons will at least be healthy.

Edited by swissy_fit

I believe mixy rabbit is OK to eat, you are going to cook it aren't you?

Most of the rubbish about immigrants eating swans and the like is the Daily Wail picking up misreported stories from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph from which they always lift racist rabble rousing stories.

If you are going to shoot woodies in the garden please make sure they are within range and you can kill them cleanly. Injured birds flapping around other people's gardens for their kids to find is both cruel and antisocial. Ditto tree rats.

Be very careful of deer ticks if you go for Muntjac etc., as they carry Lime disease which is very nasty.

There is plenty of information on preparing game on the net, read up on it first.

The rise of metal theft is always a clear marker of a deep recession/depression in the making. Robert Beckman alludes to this in his book 'Crashes and Why They Happen'.

(Old but you can still get it on Amazon 2nd hand).

I thought this was called hunting. :ph34r: