House Price Crash Forum

Overpaying Electricity / Gas Bills

Lepista

HOLA441

Isn't it a good idea to read your own meter, then give a higher reading to the suppplier - you overpay the meter use, but at the lower rate. When you finally catch up, then you effectively get a discount on the units you overpaid equal to the amount the cost has risen.

Effectively, tax-free income of around 18%... (or more)??

HOLA442

Isn't it a good idea to read your own meter, then give a higher reading to the suppplier - you overpay the meter use, but at the lower rate. When you finally catch up, then you effectively get a discount on the units you overpaid equal to the amount the cost has risen.

I've heard about this too. Anyone know if it's actually true?

If so, do it whilst you can Smart metering for all is on the horizon. 2015 I think.

HOLA443

Inspired!

Alas, I gave them an up to date reading last week sad.gif

HOLA444

Inspired!

Alas, I gave them an up to date reading last week sad.gif

I didn't .. unbelievable how much electricity I seem to have used this quarter...

What's the chances I get raided for growing weed?

HOLA445

Been thinking about this for a while, basically just from the point of view of paying now will be cheaper than paying later, but the unit thing makes it even sweeter.

Still when deflation cometh everything will be cheaper anyway so no need to worry :lol:

HOLA446

Been thinking about this for a while, basically just from the point of view of paying now will be cheaper than paying later, but the unit thing makes it even sweeter.

Still when deflation cometh everything will be cheaper anyway so no need to worry :lol:

We're on an online package and so have to supply our own readings. However the company regularly sends out people to read the meters too. I wouldn't fancy getting done for fiddling the meters should they turn up a few days after I submit a reading and find that the meter reads less than I claimed.

HOLA447

We're on an online package and so have to supply our own readings. However the company regularly sends out people to read the meters too. I wouldn't fancy getting done for fiddling the meters should they turn up a few days after I submit a reading and find that the meter reads less than I claimed.

It's hardly fraud, though, is it?

"You are stood before us today, to face the charges of.. er... paying more to British Gas than you really needed to".

HOLA448

It's hardly fraud, though, is it?

"You are stood before us today, to face the charges of.. er... paying more to British Gas than you really needed to".

That's hardly the case though is it, or your proposal would be pointless.

Hopefully the company would just accept a corrected meter reading and carry over your credit. On the other hand they could accuse you of winding the meter back, or of paying at the wrong rate with the intent to defraud them.

HOLA449

That's hardly the case though is it, or your proposal would be pointless.

Hopefully the company would just accept a corrected meter reading and carry over your credit. On the other hand they could accuse you of winding the meter back, or of paying at the wrong rate with the intent to defraud them.

It's no different to them estimating what your reading is, if they (or you) don't provide a reading.

If challenged, it's just what you "estimated" the reading should be, you didn't actually check it.

As for being accused of "winding the meter back" that's just nonsense - the onus would squarly be on the accuser to show proof of tampering.

HOLA4410

It's no different to them estimating what your reading is, if they (or you) don't provide a reading.

If challenged, it's just what you "estimated" the reading should be, you didn't actually check it.

As for being accused of "winding the meter back" that's just nonsense - the onus would squarly be on the accuser to show proof of tampering.

It's at the back of a dark cupboard - I misread what must have been a 3 as an 8... easy mistake to make...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

It's at the back of a dark cupboard - I misread what must have been a 3 as an 8... easy mistake to make...

"I gave all the actual numbers... just not necessarily in the correct order :P"

"I must have been drunk when I read it. Sorry."

Or, more likely, they'll see that there's been a recent customer reading, and will visit the properties where the reading has been only an estimate for the last year.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

"I gave all the actual numbers... just not necessarily in the correct order :P"

"I must have been drunk when I read it. Sorry."

Or, more likely, they'll see that there's been a recent customer reading, and will visit the properties where the reading has been only an estimate for the last year.

The latter is not the case with British Gas.

Yes it is - it's deliberate fraud. When they estimate they clearly tell you so and give you the opportunity to correct it. You propose lying to them (for your own gain) and hoping that they don't challenge it.

Of course. So "please provide a meter reading" really means "make up a number and send it to us".

No doubt, but I'm sure they would be suspicious if your meter reads less than you told them.

It's a shame, but the consensus of opinion here seems to be that fraud is ok, as long as you don't get caught.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

No doubt, but I'm sure they would be suspicious if your meter reads less than you told them.

It's a shame, but the consensus of opinion here seems to be that fraud is ok, as long as you don't get caught.

I couldn't advocate giving a deliberately false reading.

I have heard of at least one case, where someone did give an incorrect reading (no idea whether it was deliberate or not), which was substantially above the actual value. When the meter reader came round about 6 months later, the actual meter reading was still below the last 'customer' reading. The electricity company treated it as if the meter had gone all the way around, and sent a bill for £15k.

It was a very long and protracted process to get them to disregard the erroneous reading. The electricity company argued, not too unreasonably, that technically, it would have been possible to use sufficient power that you could take the meter right around in 6 months. To add further insult to injury, the electricity company tipped off the cops, and they dawn raided the house looking for a cannabis factory.

HOLA4419

I couldn't advocate giving a deliberately false reading.

I have heard of at least one case, where someone did give an incorrect reading (no idea whether it was deliberate or not), which was substantially above the actual value. When the meter reader came round about 6 months later, the actual meter reading was still below the last 'customer' reading. The electricity company treated it as if the meter had gone all the way around, and sent a bill for £15k.

It was a very long and protracted process to get them to disregard the erroneous reading. The electricity company argued, not too unreasonably, that technically, it would have been possible to use sufficient power that you could take the meter right around in 6 months. To add further insult to injury, the electricity company tipped off the cops, and they dawn raided the house looking for a cannabis factory.

Again, codswallop, otherwise, you could just run up a huge gas bill each quater, and provided you're quite savvy and *just* go over the previous reading (effectively clocking the meter) then your bill would be small. If you're uncomfortable in using quite so much gas, then just club together with a few of your neighbours.

Absolute tosh.

HOLA4420

Again, codswallop, otherwise, you could just run up a huge gas bill each quater, and provided you're quite savvy and *just* go over the previous reading (effectively clocking the meter) then your bill would be small. If you're uncomfortable in using quite so much gas, then just club together with a few of your neighbours.

Absolute tosh.

:lol:

a genius plan

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

:lol:

a genius plan

I was thinking about installing under-lawn heating, maybe get some quotes to remove my lagging...

I was going to installa gas powered steam generator to use in a steam powered elegtricity generator... :D:D

HOLA4423

Place I lived in 1990, I just paid the first estimated reading after moving in. This was ahead of a price rise.

Second estimated reading, I sent them back an actual reading, showing I'd already paid all I'd used, and more. Bit of a hassle with red bills and threats, because their system expected a payment.

Moving out after a year, my usage had crept up to just past what I'd paid. So I took the actual reading, subtracted the reading I'd paid up to (in that estimated bill), to determine how many units were used but not paid. Wrote them a cheque for a couple of quid and moved on.

They had applied a different formula: wanted to charge at the higher rate for most of the usage I'd already paid(!) I pointed out that I had paid for [n] units usage exactly as specified in their bill, and asked how much interest were they going to pay on my money they'd held all that time (banks were paying 10%+ at the time). They got quite stroppy, so I didn't bother to leave a forwarding address for the court summons.

HOLA4424

I like this idea. :lol:

I think I'd be inclined to change a 3 into a 5 or similar somewhere in the digits so that it can be put down to an honest error.

Also, if you enter the number online you can always claim their website made the error.

Of course, if charges subsequently go down you'd be gutted.

HOLA4425

Archived