House Price Crash Forum

Economic Growth Comes From Bank Lending Or Government Spending

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

No doubt he is an adherent of the velocity theory of inflation which states that spending money makes it less valuable. Like a second hand television set, the more people that have used it the less valuable it gets. Except that the note still says £10 on the front.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest sillybear2

Are we sure this ain't a troll twitter account?

It's it's not... :blink:

I guess he doesn't teach much about capital formation in his classes.

David is a good comic, Blanchflower v. Blanchflower proves that.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I guess he doesn't teach much about capital formation in his classes.

David is a good comic, Blanchflower v. Blanchflower proves that.

The man is an absolute sh*tbag

If he was allowed to run the economy we would overtake Zimbabewe as the wealth creation capital of the World in about 12 months.

:blink:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

zxnzog.png

Eminently qualified to sit on the board of the Bank of England. It's not inflation it's economic growth.

He's right of course:

ZimbabweIndustrialIndex.jpg

<Edit to add: I didn't realise it was Blanchflower.

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.

:lol:>

Edited by _w_

HOLA4413
Guest sillybear2

The man is an absolute sh*tbag

If he was allowed to run the economy we would overtake Zimbabewe as the wealth creation capital of the World in about 12 months.

:blink:

I've never met the guy personally so wouldn't want to judge, steady on with the name calling. :) That said, I don't think his students are well served by somebody so blatantly politically partial, they're going to end up with a very black and white view of the world with huge blind spots.

All these theories simply reduce people to cogs that simply exist to service a debt obligation, it's like a utilitarian hell where a new microwave will sudden make everyone happy. Unbridled credit expansion = the sum of human happiness, and they have a model to prove it, nice.

HOLA4414

My goodness. Reminds me of the scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles just before the crash: "You're going the wrong way!" "How does he know which way we are going."

Debt is the answer. More debt, and then some more. What an utter tosspot! How do these people get into powers of such influence? The sad thing is he will never be out of work in some position of fvckwittery.

I would rather trust the economy with a cabinet made up of posters on here. I may have to draw the line at...

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There's quite a lot of bluster on this thread, but apart from not mentioning exports as a source of growth (which is probably mostly dependant on lending as well), I'm pretty sure he's technically correct.

Can anyone explain why he's wrong?

Indeed. The question is whether we should be chasing GDP growth at all costs or doing something else. I'd suggest we throw in the moral argument about who will be paying for the government borrowing, along with whether median wealth per capita would be a more appropriate target.

Edited by Traktion

HOLA4418

There's quite a lot of bluster on this thread, but apart from not mentioning exports as a source of growth (which is probably mostly dependant on lending as well), I'm pretty sure he's technically correct.

He confuses growth and inflation. Coming from someone of his background and position it's a frightening thought.

Edited by _w_

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

He confuses growth and inflation. Coming from someone of his background and position it's a frightening thought.

Frightening but entirely predictable.

Reading Bernanke and Gertler tells us everything that we need to know about the scale of the uncontrolled experiment underway at the moment : inflation is massively preferable to a reset of asset prices relative to incomes in their view.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest sillybear2

It's not strictly true, private companies can reinvest profits into new capital equipment and hire new staff, that doesn't directly involve the government or banks as such. Twitter is a bit reductive, but he seems to be making a point about demand and implies that debt fueled government and private consumption = growth, and there is no other way. That does work for a bit as we've seen over the past decade or so, but it's not exactly sustainable if consumption always outpaces production. What he advocates has been tried before countless times, it was called The Barber Boom and "dash for growth" etc back in the day, and it worked for a bit but never ended well, but nothing ever does.

We're all doomed by natural resource constraints anyway, so even if you did come up with some magical plan it'll just blow up in your face eventually. So all these theories and rants are like bearded Victorians muttering on about hairsplitting theology back in the day. The real world doesn't care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvwNR3vF44

HOLA4424

He's playing by the rules of "their" game. You're talking about changing the game.

Ah, I see what you are getting at.

Still, in an academic context I think the word 'growth' should be used to describe growth, not inflation. Perhaps at the Juncker school of politics one would come up with such cheap tricks.

Still, I am not convinced he himself makes the distinction.

HOLA4425

It's not strictly true, private companies can reinvest profits into new capital equipment and hire new staff, that doesn't directly involve the government or banks as such. Twitter is a bit reductive, but he seems to be making a point about demand and implies that debt fueled government and private consumption = growth, and there is no other way. That does work for a bit as we've seen over the past decade or so, but it's not exactly sustainable if consumption always outpaces production. What he advocates has been tried before countless times, it was called The Barber Boom and "dash for growth" etc back in the day, and it worked for a bit but never ended well, but nothing ever does.

We're all doomed by natural resource constraints anyway, so even if you did come up with some magical plan it'll just blow up in your face eventually. So all these theories and rants are like bearded Victorians muttering on about hairsplitting theology back in the day. The real world doesn't care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvvwNR3vF44

Yep! It's all about faith. It's a religion and he's a devoted believer.