THE GREAT BIG FAT GREEK THREAD

HOLA441
  • Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Greece to need another bailout extension - euro zone official

BRUSSELS - Greece will have to ask for a new extension to its euro zone bailout programme before 1.8 billion euros in pending aid can be paid, a senior euro zone official said on Friday, stressing that a new government must first be in place to do so.

HOLA443
HOLA444

http://

uk.reuters.com/article/2015/01/25/uk-greece-election-process-factbox-idUKKBN0KY00320150125

Polling stations open from 7 a.m (05:00 a.m. GMT) to 7 p.m. An exit poll is issued immediately with first official projections from 9.30 p.m. Final results could be announced in the early hours of Monday.

HOLA445
Guest TheBlueCat

I was trying to figure out what would happen if Greece decided to default on its debt, the answer to which largely seems to depend on who owns it, and I found this Torygraph link from 2012:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/matspersson/100015389/in-2015-85-of-greeces-debt-will-be-owned-by-european-taxpayers/

Full marks to Open Europe, whoever they are, for this prediction:

As Open Europe has pointed out, Greece will most likely default or be required to take another bailout in three years' time, even with the help of this rescue package.

Anyway, assuming the numbers haven't shifted much, only around 12% of the debt - ~35 billion EUR - is likely now owned by Greek banks, insurance companies and maybe some private investors. Greece is in primary budget surplus - i.e. it would have a surplus if it wasn't for interest payments and some spending that counts as investment - so it seems that Alexis Tsipras has some good cards to play. I think the EU will blink first - they can either get nothing or get something, unless they're really dumb they'll go for the latter.

edited: spelling

Edited by TheBlueCat

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest TheBlueCat

wow!

Chris Morris, BBC News, Athens

Posted at

tweets: If exit polls are correct (...IF...) Syriza could form government on its own. Need to watch how many parties cross 3% threshold.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest TheBlueCat

Looking that way, super mario is not looking that super at this moment in time ,,,could be fun and games tomorrow

It could indeed. This is the moment where democracy comes face to face with EU bureaucracy. I wonder which one will win?

Edited by TheBlueCat

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest TheBlueCat

surely some twitching rings in Brussels and the offices of the ECB just now

I'm hoping that Mario Draghi and Jean-Claude Juncker are currently choking on their EU taxpayer provided foie gras and Cristal Brut.

Edited by TheBlueCat

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Well if previous refrendums on the EU constitution are anything to go by they will simply make them keep voting until they get the desired result

Syriza don`t want out of the EU they want the debt the country owes reduced ,they will not continue with the EU`s austerity plan, they either get what they want or they default ....if the guy has the balls they hold all the trump cards

The last thing the EU wants is Greece leaving,if they did and it turned out to be a positive move for them (see Iceland) i could well be game set and match for the EZ as the rest of the PIIGS might well follow

BIG can of worms maybe well and truly open by tomorrow morning

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I think time will tell ...all depends on the new greek leader if he`s true to his word i would say you are right but will he stand his ground ...hope so

The EU has plenty of baubles and wonders to show EU leaders - apparently there is a treasure trove of wonders in Brussels reserved only for those who lead us... but who also fall into line... wonders I tell you.