HOLA441
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

At gunpoint.

Bitcoins sit on the back of that.

They do so in as much as any commodity does - you sell them, to get government money, to pay government taxes. That doesn't mean they wouldn't exist absent of taxes - there will always a role for anonymous, decentralised currency, which doesn't require a 3rd party to trust.

There is no law to make people accept bitcoins though; it is purely voluntary. If someone wants to trade their productivity for bitcoins, that's their business. Each additional person who does the same, gives more places to spend them, which leads to more people offering productivity for them. It's a virtuous circle and that's all that matters in terms of it being adopted.

Anyway, enough of this - we've been over it many times before. No matter what you or I say, the market will do as it wants, as it always does.

HOLA443

They do so in as much as any commodity does - you sell them, to get government money, to pay government taxes. That doesn't mean they wouldn't exist absent of taxes - there will always a role for anonymous, decentralised currency, which doesn't require a 3rd party to trust.

There is no law to make people accept bitcoins though; it is purely voluntary. If someone wants to trade their productivity for bitcoins, that's their business. Each additional person who does the same, gives more places to spend them, which leads to more people offering productivity for them. It's a virtuous circle and that's all that matters in terms of it being adopted.

Anyway, enough of this - we've been over it many times before. No matter what you or I say, the market will do as it wants, as it always does.

Nope.

People buy commodities because (get this, right!) they want the commodity for themselves.

No one is ever going to buy a bitcoin because of that - which means no market demand.

HOLA444

Nope.

People buy commodities because (get this, right!) they want the commodity for themselves.

No one is ever going to buy a bitcoin because of that - which means no market demand.

Bitcoins are useful in themselves, to enable online trade (gold doesn't fit through the phone socket) - they're a very flexible unit of account. You're not going to make a bitcoin broach, bit it doesn't mean that they don't have their uses. Hell, you might even sell some gold to buy bitcoins, as they better suit your liquidity preference.

People generate demand for them by doing work for them. You say they are working for useless ones and zeros, but that's up to them. I reckon they are working for them, because they know they can trade them with someone else. Whether this means that they are collectively deluded is beside the point - they will serve a purpose regardless.

HOLA445

Bitcoins are useful in themselves, to enable online trade (gold doesn't fit through the phone socket) - they're a very flexible unit of account. You're not going to make a bitcoin broach, bit it doesn't mean that they don't have their uses. Hell, you might even sell some gold to buy bitcoins, as they better suit your liquidity preference.

People generate demand for them by doing work for them. You say they are working for useless ones and zeros, but that's up to them. I reckon they are working for them, because they know they can trade them with someone else. Whether this means that they are collectively deluded is beside the point - they will serve a purpose regardless.

You've got a bitcoin - what do you want it for, other than for trade?

Please list the uses you have. Next list what someone would use it for if you gave it to them as a gift - in both cases barring passing them on to some other sucker?

HOLA446

You've got a bitcoin - what do you want it for, other than for trade?

Nothing - it's only useful as a unit of account.

Please list the uses you have. Next list what someone would use it for if you gave it to them as a gift - in both cases barring passing them on to some other sucker?

I can buy all sorts of stuff, including hosting space, VOIP, clothes, services. What will they do with the bitcoins? The same thing - trade them on.

How about shell money? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_money

It's not very useful to have a pile of these. I suppose you could make some jewellery with them, but really, they're only useful as money.

IMO, something has to have perceived value and scarcity to start off as money, but once people are accustomed to it, the origins are meaningless... as long as others accept them in exchange for what you want, it is an irrelevance.

What made bitcoins valuable in the first place? Probably the idea of a free market, distributed, secure, private e-currency. It had an appeal from those who craved this. If it reaches critical mass, those values will still be there, but I should imagine that people wouldn't care either way, as long as they can buy stuff with them.

HOLA447

Nothing - it's only useful as a unit of account.

Account of what?

I can buy all sorts of stuff, including hosting space, VOIP, clothes, services. What will they do with the bitcoins? The same thing - trade them on.

How about shell money? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_money

It's not very useful to have a pile of these. I suppose you could make some jewellery with them, but really, they're only useful as money.

IMO, something has to have perceived value and scarcity to start off as money, but once people are accustomed to it, the origins are meaningless... as long as others accept them in exchange for what you want, it is an irrelevance.

What made bitcoins valuable in the first place? Probably the idea of a free market, distributed, secure, private e-currency. It had an appeal from those who craved this. If it reaches critical mass, those values will still be there, but I should imagine that people wouldn't care either way, as long as they can buy stuff with them.

Shells are pretty. :)

There has to be market demand for money, the market has to dicover what money is - process is everything.

Edited by Injin

HOLA448

Account of what?

Work done, services traded, etc. It's just a tally.

Shells are pretty. :)

There has to be market demand for money, the market has to dicover what money is - process is everything.

They're not that pretty though are they? My local beaches are full of them, yet people don't bother to lift them! ;)

The ideal is what is attractive with Bitcoins. Some people passionately think that the government shouldn't be setting monetary policy and see this as an alternative in a modern world. Anything else, even warehouses of gold, can be confiscated and/or shut down by the government. People are giving Bitcoins value as they're willing it to succeed.

Hell, the government can't even confiscate bitcoins, even if they take your hardware. If you have the wallet encrypted, it will potentially take them decades to access it. In the mean time, you just use one of your many backups that you spread around the net and/or physical locations (all encrypted too, of course).

HOLA449

I said apart from trade what would you use bitcoins for.

Lets save time - you've dodged the question because you know they are worthless and the answer is "nothing. Bitcoins are useless, worthless."

They're not that pretty though are they? My local beaches are full of them, yet people don't bother to lift them! ;)

The ideal is what is attractive with Bitcoins. Some people passionately think that the government shouldn't be setting monetary policy and see this as an alternative in a modern world. Anything else, even warehouses of gold, can be confiscated and/or shut down by the government. People are giving Bitcoins value as they're willing it to succeed.

Hell, the government can't even confiscate bitcoins, even if they take your hardware. If you have the wallet encrypted, it will potentially take them decades to access it. In the mean time, you just use one of your many backups that you spread around the net and/or physical locations (all encrypted too, of course).

Yes, the attached pipedream is where bitcoins garner their appeal from.

They are worthless.

HOLA4410

Lets save time - you've dodged the question because you know they are worthless and the answer is "nothing. Bitcoins are useless, worthless."

I already said 'nothing' two posts ago. It's only use is as a currency, due to its features.

They are worthless.

$65m and counting. Obviously, not everyone shares your opinion.

HOLA4411

I already said 'nothing' two posts ago. It's only use is as a currency, due to its features.

$65m and counting. Obviously, not everyone shares your opinion.

$65m worth of pipe dream.

A differently named fantasy money is not a solution to to the problems thrown up by having fantasy money.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

And what measures exist to stop you spending the bitcoins, restoring the backup and spending them again?

HOLA4415

And what measures exist to stop you spending the bitcoins, restoring the backup and spending them again?

How about reading up on how they work before criticising? You can't double spend them.

EDIT: sp

Edited by Traktion

HOLA4416

How about reading up on how they work before criticising? You can't double spend them.

EDIT: sp

I think that is a fallacy. The key question is whether you can create a separate contract to lend them to someone at interest independent of bitcoin. So someone with bitcoins offers to lend them to someone, and the borrower agrees that they will pay them back with interest. Unless the bitcoin system prevents that process usury exists and you get inevitable inflation. With currencies that are regulated by government that process is limited by government regulation (requirements to be a licensed bank, hold reserves with central banks). Without those limitations on usury the bitcoins will simply inflate in the same way as money as debt, but with no regulation the inflation would go Weimar...

Bitcoins are a clever idea but without an understanding of the money multiplier of usury they will be worthless. Set aside that they won't be adopted, and even if they were they'd be regulated.

Another obvious point, although maybe not to bitcoin fans, is we've already got loads of currencies, eg sterling, dollars, gold, picasso painting, model T fords, BP shares, or myriad others, so why bother with bitcoins?

HOLA4417

I think it's fascinating. Traktion is right it is the first true virtual commodity, and it is very clever how it works. But it is also a bubble and it will be interesting to see how far it goes before it bursts. If it goes viral it has the potential to be absolutely massive. $100 per bitcoin? $1000? I wouldn't rule it out.

It's also interesting how the gold bugs are conspicuous by their absence. Of course a virtual commodity doesn't work well in a mad max type situation - this commodity is useless without the internet. You could also argue that gold is pretty useless in a mad max situation so I'm surprised the gold bugs aren't diving in.

The fundamental idea of a decentralised p2p currency is great though. I hope a more sensible non-deflationary alternative is developed, preferably before this whole thing blows up in their stupid faces.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Looks like a bubble, smells like a bubble...

bitcoin-price-chart.png

having said that, wish I had know about it before, could have paid off the mortgage! dont wait too long before you get out....

just need the other shoulder to form now then we should be good to go.

HOLA4420

I think that is a fallacy. The key question is whether you can create a separate contract to lend them to someone at interest independent of bitcoin. So someone with bitcoins offers to lend them to someone, and the borrower agrees that they will pay them back with interest. Unless the bitcoin system prevents that process usury exists and you get inevitable inflation. With currencies that are regulated by government that process is limited by government regulation (requirements to be a licensed bank, hold reserves with central banks). Without those limitations on usury the bitcoins will simply inflate in the same way as money as debt, but with no regulation the inflation would go Weimar...

Bitcoins are a clever idea but without an understanding of the money multiplier of usury they will be worthless. Set aside that they won't be adopted, and even if they were they'd be regulated.

Another obvious point, although maybe not to bitcoin fans, is we've already got loads of currencies, eg sterling, dollars, gold, picasso painting, model T fords, BP shares, or myriad others, so why bother with bitcoins?

That reply doesn't seem to match my response. I was merely stating that you can't spend the same Bitcoin twice - once for the backup, once for the original.

As for credit - that's external to Bitcoin, in the same way as credit is compared to notes and coins of Sterling. In other words, it is nothing to do with the Bitcoins as such - credit is just promises for them.

That said, the levels of leverage are up to any credit clearing mechanisms (be them like ripple or mainstream banks). Either way, credit can only expand so far before the system becomes too fragile. Weimer is about printing the currency, not expanding credit - with Bitcoins, there can only be a maximum of 21m coins, so no Weimer here.

As for other currencies, they have different advantages. Bitcoins exist and thrive in a digital state. There is no central mint or single point of failure. It offers something different.

HOLA4421

Looks like a bubble, smells like a bubble...

bitcoin-price-chart.png

having said that, wish I had know about it before, could have paid off the mortgage! dont wait too long before you get out....

Compare and contrast with this: http://www.google.com/trends?q=bitcoin

What does that suggest to you?

IMO, the increase in price is due to it recently going a bit viral. It's still a small economy with plenty more potential. I wouldn't be surprised if it corrects, but then it is up over 50% on the day. I think it is far too early to be calling an implosion when the world is just starting to wake up to it. That's just my opinion though.

(EDIT: FYI, it's about $14 per Bitcoin at the time of writing this: http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#vztgSzm1g10zm2g25)

Edited by Traktion

HOLA4422

Well, that link above has a number of merchants who accept them, including some useful shops. This list is much more comprehensive than a year ago and tbh Bitcoins didn't go very far until the last month or two, when interest seemed to explode.

Re the store of value, if it's doubled in value, I'd say it had managed to store it and some!

As a unit of account, it's clearly fluctuating a lot at the moment, but if you overlay the price chart with the Google Trends chart, they correlate very well. If interest continues to gather pace, then merchants will have to adjust their prices downwards as required, but it will probably also encourage them to accept the Bitcoins in the first place.

Who knows where it is going to go? Nothing quite like Bitcoins has ever been invented before, which is why I find it so interesting.

If I want to agree a contract to take place in a few weeks time, how many bitcoins to I agree to pay? How many should the other party agree to accept? Hyper-deflation is just as bad as hyper-inflation.

HOLA4423
Guest eight

They are worthless.

If I gave you a few, and the bubble propelled them to $1000000 dollars per coin, what would you do with them?

eight

HOLA4424

FYI - there was an article in the New Scientist yesterday that discussed alternatives to currencies not issued and controlled by central banks, such as bitcoin:

Future of money: Virtual cash gets real

...The currency is created and distributed over a P2P network, and the developers hope to attract users by exploiting some people's disaffection with the government-controlled central banks that control conventional money....

Unfortunately its behind a paywall, so most people can't access the full article.

HOLA4425