House Price Crash Forum

Sick Days Cost Uk Economy Whooping £17Bn Last Year, Finds Report

HOLA441

link

The UK economy lost 190 million working days to absence last year at a cost of £17bn, the latest survey since the launch of the ‘fit note’ has revealed.

According to the Pfizer Absence and Workplace Health Survey, based on responses from 223 private sector companies and supported bythe Confederation of British Industry (CBI), each employee took an average of 6.5 days off sick last year.

The rate of absence is marginally higher than in 2009, when employees averaged 6.4 sick days, the lowest rate since the survey began in 1987.

Katja Hall, CBI chief policy director, said that although many organisations have been successful in bringing down levels of absence, “there’s been no letup in the cost of absence to the UK economy, which runs into billions of pounds a year”.

Encouragingly, the report identified widespread general support for the fit note, a new medical certificate which focuses on what people can do rather than what they can’t, designed to aid returns to work and reduce costs related to absenteeism among British businesses.

Yet the authors claimed that employers have been disappointed by their experience so far, with 66% of firms saying that it had not yet helped their rehabilitation policy.

Furthermore, 71% said they were not confident that GPs were using the fit note differently from the old sick note.

Hall added that while “the fit note is a great initiative” and could play an important role in helping people back to work and stopping them slide into long-term absence, that “employers are far from convinced that the scheme is working properly and don’t think GPs are getting the necessary training”.

I don't pull sicky's because I am self employed, but I see it all the time.

The usual Monday sicky, or a Thursday/Friday sicky in line with whatever uni pub has a drinks promotion, or any day after a big football match, or for any number of drink induced reasons.

Plus getting signed off for stress, and all that other BS.

Daisy-Dave is one I know well. Day's he comes in, day's he doesn't.

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA442

I don't pull sicky's because I am self employed

Me too. I'm currently working even though I'm recovering from a bad bout of lumbago.

Leaving my flat and getting into town is nigh on impossible at the moment, but I can reach my computer desk.

HOLA443

link

It's actually bloody terrifying if you are unlucky enough to experience it first hand.

When you actually like your job, but get to the point where you think you might never work again.

When you keep thinking sometimes of just quitting and, in darker moments, of jumping out of the window.

When you can't get your breathing back down to the diaphram, where it belongs.

HOLA444

It's actually bloody terrifying if you are unlucky enough to experience it first hand.

When you actually like your job, but get to the point where you think you might never work again.

When you keep thinking sometimes of just quitting and, in darker moments, of jumping out of the window.

Maybe you can call.... The A TEAM nanananaderderderderder

Edited by georgia o'keeffe

HOLA445

Hmm. You won't win my vote.

Stressful job? Quit and go find yourself a new bread earner. Your poor choice of job, your unhealthy lifestyle, and a multitude of self induced things makes you ill.

Just how good can an employee be if they are signing themselves off for something that medical science cannot really prove?

Just how productive can an employee be if they are so 'stressed' out in their position that they need to go on hiatus?

I call that taking the p1ss, and damn this stupid British system for allowing it.

Hence why I contract in any labour for projects, as does most of the oil and gas industry.

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA446

link

The usual Monday sicky, or a Thursday/Friday sicky in line with whatever uni pub has a drinks promotion, or any day after a big football match, or for any number of drink induced reasons.

Daisy-Dave is one I know well. Day's he comes in, day's he doesn't.

I'm not one for pulling a sickie either, but it does happen. I have to admit I've only managed to get into the office 4 weeks out of the last 6 months due to sickness, and it was genuine. Not pleasant.

HOLA447

Maybe they should also do another survey to see how much the UK economy earn's in free labour over a year.

How many people are expected to work hours above what was stated in their contract each year ? how many people are expected to share out others work during holidays and sickness of other workers ?

The Uk has one of the longest working weeks in Europe and has not had a cut in the working week for 31 years , maybe some of this sick time is just people making up for the above.

HOLA448

Stressful job? Quit and go find yourself a new bread earner. Your poor choice of job, your unhealthy lifestyle, and a multitude of self induced things makes you ill.

Just how good can an employee be if they are signing themselves off for something that medical science cannot really prove?

Just how productive can an employee be if they are so 'stressed' out in their position that they need to go on hiatus?

I call that taking the p1ss, and damn this stupid British system for allowing it.

Hence why I contract in any labour for projects, as does most of the oil and gas industry.

If you ever get ill I'm sure you won't mind this being quoted back at you.

Where's your compassion?

HOLA449

Maybe they should also do another survey to see how much the UK economy earn's in free labour over a year.

How many people are expected to work hours above what was stated in their contract each year ? how many people are expected to share out others work during holidays and sickness of other workers ?

The Uk has one of the longest working weeks in Europe and has not had a cut in the working week for 31 years , maybe some of this sick time is just people making up for the above.

+1

Also, how many sick days are caused by the behaviour of sociopathic bosses? An awful lot, I would think.

Edited by the gardener

HOLA4410

I'm not one for pulling a sickie either, but it does happen. I have to admit I've only managed to get into the office 4 weeks out of the last 6 months due to sickness, and it was genuine. Not pleasant.

Sorry but in most countries you would be out of a job by now. Harsh maybe, but a fact of life. Unproductive workers make for uncompetitive economies.

HOLA4411

If you ever get ill I'm sure you won't mind this being quoted back at you.

Where's your compassion?

What compassion? If you are stressed, leave and get a new job, or pick flowers, or do anything that doesn't involve me having to double my efforts because you choose not to come to work.

Look, in my line of work, 1 sick day can have profound repercussions for a crew offshore doing a job, costing multi-millions if things go really pear shaped.

That can mean somebody was unable to issue a shipping notice for a bag of penny washers, and they didn't leave a handover to instruct others. It happens, and that gets people fired.

Of course, if people are genuinely ill, there is nothing that can be done, except find you a replacement until they can come back and be 100% efficient in whatever function they are paid to carry out.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Sorry but in most countries you would be out of a job by now. Harsh maybe, but a fact of life. Unproductive workers make for uncompetitive economies.

Fortunately I have an understanding employer. I spent most of my time on SSP which is worth f**k all, but at least they kept my job open for me.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

link

I would have thought that an average of 6 days per year per worker is reasonable for "genuine" sickness and this suggest that the effect of "pulling a sickie" is minimal.

tim

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I would have thought that an average of 6 days per year per worker is reasonable for "genuine" sickness and this suggest that the effect of "pulling a sickie" is minimal.

tim

Where I used to work there was an unwritten rule that you could take 6-7 shifts sick per year without it raising any eyebrows. We were shift workers 12 hours nights or days 365 days a year. Most of the short term sick was taken by people who could not always just change their sleep pattern around and would phone in sick when they had maybe been unable to sleep for 24 hours . Knew many who used drink to force sleep unpon themselves and a few who used drugs. The long term affects of the shift work excess drinking showed up in peoples health in a bigger way the older they got after 20+ years in the job.

HOLA4418

In 6.5 years since I left university, I've been unemployed a total of less than three weeks and not had a single day off sick in that time. Who's using all my share? :)

Once worked with a guy who boasted that in 33 years with the company he had taken two weeks off sick. One week when he was attacked on the job and another with flu. When the place shut down he was made redundant along with the rest of us.

HOLA4419

Once worked with a guy who boasted that in 33 years with the company he had taken two weeks off sick. One week when he was attacked on the job and another with flu. When the place shut down he was made redundant along with the rest of us.

:lol::lol::lol: Edited by the gardener

HOLA4420

What compassion? If you are stressed, leave and get a new job, or pick flowers, or do anything that doesn't involve me having to double my efforts because you choose not to come to work.

Look, in my line of work, 1 sick day can have profound repercussions for a crew offshore doing a job, costing multi-millions if things go really pear shaped.

That can mean somebody was unable to issue a shipping notice for a bag of penny washers, and they didn't leave a handover to instruct others. It happens, and that gets people fired.

Of course, if people are genuinely ill, there is nothing that can be done, except find you a replacement until they can come back and be 100% efficient in whatever function they are paid to carry out.

May I ask you a question?

What is the purpose of work?

HOLA4421

That's in my top 10 favourite posts of all time, on any forum. Bosses exist to screw as much as they can out of their employees, workers exist to screw as much as they can out of their bosses. Jump through hoops for them and you're a mug, but you are also a mug if you let them know you think that.

HOLA4422

And why is the 'blame' always on the employees?

It's the loony HR and inhouse PC freaks who are the problem and useless fekkin management who always pass the buck whilst filling their pockets and arranging their next 'golden parachute''!

Like I said before if HR really worked their 'vetting' procedures would weed out potential sick shirkworkers - which makes HR null & void + a company overhead!

Managers who spout off the latest IP double-speak from Yale (the ones who satanically 'lock' the serfs in place and make their working lives a misery)

Look where the fekkin UK is today - it isn't down to the common proles! :)

Edited by erranta

HOLA4423

Apart from jobs that might be considered 'vocations', such as medicine, employment is a business deal, despite the delusions of many. The only time an employee will have the same motivation as their employer is if they're getting an equal share of the profits.

Edited by shipbuilder

HOLA4424

one day it will be you my friend and then you'll be begging for help and compassion

HOLA4425

And why is the 'blame' always on the employees?

It's the loony HR and inhouse PC freaks who are the problem and useless fekkin management who always pass the buck whilst filling their pockets and arranging their next 'golden parachute''!

Like I said before if HR really worked their 'vetting' procedures would weed out potential sick shirkworkers - which makes HR null & void + a company overhead!

Managers who spout off the latest IP double-speak from Yale (the ones who satanically 'lock' the serfs in place and make their working lives a misery)

Look where the fekkin UK is today - it isn't down to the common proles! :)

of course you are one B)