House Price Crash Forum

Upmarket Foodstore Waitrose Expanding

HOLA441

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Waitrose-sales-plans-new-reuters_molt-3706354686.html?x=0

Waitrose's sales up, plans new stores
16:58, Wednesday 5 January 2011
LONDON (
Reuters
) - The supermarket chain Waitrose will open 39 new stores this year, it said on Wednesday, after posting strong sales figures in the build-up to the Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations.
The retailer said 3,000 new jobs will be created this year in management and non-management roles as it plans to open new shops including 12 full-sized supermarkets and convenience stores.
The retailer said last week that Christmas sales were the best ever, with like-for-like December sales rising by 5.4 percent and boosted by demand for luxury seasonal products.

There are some who will only shop in Waitrose (or M & S foods) simply to avoid coming into contact with the underclasses. As part of JL I am sure most MPs and Banksters shop there too. Some are determined not to be in it together.

Divide between the plebs and the rich grows wider everyday.

Edited by Realistbear

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

I live in Wellington in Somerset. We have Asda and Waitrose.

Asda is a horrible place to be. Waitrose is a nice place to be.

I'm happy to pay the extra 20% to avoid mixing with the types who work and shop in Asda.

I have to agree. I avoid ASDA like the plague as I find I slip into depression whenever I go into one of their stores. My leaning is toward the Tesco-M&S combo that we have near Brighton. I am BIG on Tesco points and use them to eat out at decent Italian restaurants.

ASDA is like its counterpart in the US--just as depressing. Lots of people with one tooth and close-set eyes--seriously. :o

HOLA444

I have to agree. I avoid ASDA like the plague as I find I slip into depression whenever I go into one of their stores. My leaning is toward the Tesco-M&S combo that we have near Brighton. I am BIG on Tesco points and use them to eat out at decent Italian restaurants.

ASDA is like its counterpart in the US--just as depressing. Lots of people with one tooth and close-set eyes--seriously. :o

I have to confess to been a fan of Waitrose and Ocado, definitely better quality and yes in store (Waitrose) you do avoid the unwashed masses that you get at Tescos and Sainsburys. That we do also have a good Co-Op not a million miles away, and that is actually very good and never to crowded and the quality is better than Tescos and Sainsburys.

I did used to shop at Salisbury's years ago, but having tried it on occasions since I really do think they are pulling the strings to keep prices down by sacrificing quality.

HOLA445

I supply all the supermarkets and waitrose was 10% more than the others but that was 5y ago. Now they have closed the gap a lot, it dosent cost much more to shop at Waitrose.

To be honest they are trying to attract the Sainsbury shopper not the ASDA one anyway. I say good on them as they show a retailer can be good to deal with and a success story :D

Edited by FIGGY

HOLA446
HOLA447

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Waitrose-sales-plans-new-reuters_molt-3706354686.html?x=0

LONDON (
Reuters
) - The supermarket chain Waitrose will open 39 new stores this year, it said on Wednesday, after posting strong sales figures in the build-up to the Christmas and New Year's Eve celebrations.
The retailer said 3,000 new jobs will be created this year in management and non-management roles as it plans to open new shops including 12 full-sized supermarkets and convenience stores.
The retailer said last week that Christmas sales were the best ever, with like-for-like December sales rising by 5.4 percent and boosted by demand for luxury seasonal products.

There are some who will only shop in Waitrose (or M & S foods) simply to avoid coming into contact with the underclasses. As part of JL I am sure most MPs and Banksters shop there too. Some are determined not to be in it together.

Occado price match with tescos and Waitrose has a value range called "Essential". The plebs have never had it so good.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

It's Tescopoly for me now I'm afraid... the quality is right up there with waitrose IMO and they treat there suppliers well. Sainsburys has stock issues and miss vital items (an example could be breast pads - don't stock them so I now only shop there once a month for lime cordial and raisin wheats). ASDA treats there suppliers like sh** so consequentially can only stock sh** and it's full of genetic throwbacks!!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest The Relaxation Suite

LONDON (
Reuters

All the supermarkets are expanding, including pleb stores like Asda, so you can't infer anything about the rich from this.

HOLA4413
Guest The Relaxation Suite

It's Tescopoly for me now I'm afraid... the quality is right up there with waitrose IMO and they treat there suppliers well. Sainsburys has stock issues and miss vital items (an example could be breast pads - don't stock them so I now only shop there once a month for lime cordial and raisin wheats). ASDA treats there suppliers like sh** so consequentially can only stock sh** and it's full of genetic throwbacks!!

I was once dressed down in public by one of your genetic throwbacks working on a till at Tesco. She shouted at me for putting the basket in the wrong place and I was so shocked I was forced to let her know a few facts about the world, whereupon one of the pleb customers turned on me, even though he had clearly seen me get insulted by this dreadful old crone. Although the store was in a council area and I made allowances for their behaviour for this reason and their obvious "plebiness", I never set foot in a Tesco since, and never will.

This was six years ago, by the way.

Edited by Tecumseh

HOLA4414

Waitrose tend to be more local in towns and villages from those that I know of, where as tesco and sainsbury seem to involve a drive to a massive supermarket.

I suspect that during our recent weather that waitrose has done well because it was far easier for people to get to and didnt involve lengthy trecks in snow and ice.

HOLA4415

Morrisons is a close second to asda, I avoid both like the plague. Poor quality stuff, staff and plebs with trolleys.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Up here we call Asda, Asbo due to the clientele who frequent it. Tesco on the other hand is ok, the quality of the food is good and i do believe they are one of the better supermarkets to deal with from a supplier point of view. I also like their returns, absolutely no questions asked when we returned a £500 lcd tv as i found the picture quality to be less than expected.

HOLA4418

I laugh at the level of snobbery that people exhibit when it comes to food shopping with the mainstream supermarkets. The supermarket chains represent the last of the few places where people can exert their class delusions. Trotting around Waitrose thinking you're better than everybody else is like a mini-makeover for the ego.

In reality, anybody who pays more than they need to just so they can avoid being in an enclosed space with people who they consider to be lower forms of life says a lot about how easy it is to manipulate and herd humans into different pens through deceptive marketing and price differentiation of identical goods.

If you do most of your cooking from scratch and don't succumb to the plethora of processed foods and ready meals, it really makes little difference where you shop. Personally, I prefer to buy from small local greengrocers and butchers shops than buy individually wrapped baby carrots from some spiv emporium like Waitrose.

HOLA4419

I laugh at the level of snobbery that people exhibit when it comes to food shopping with the mainstream supermarkets. The supermarket chains represent the last of the few places where people can exert their class delusions. Trotting around Waitrose thinking you're better than everybody else is like a mini-makeover for the ego.

In reality, anybody who pays more than they need to just so they can avoid being in an enclosed space with people who they consider to be lower forms of life says a lot about how easy it is to manipulate and herd humans into different pens through deceptive marketing and price differentiation of identical goods.

If you do most of your cooking from scratch and don't succumb to the plethora of processed foods and ready meals, it really makes little difference where you shop. Personally, I prefer to buy from small local greengrocers and butchers shops than buy individually wrapped baby carrots from some spiv emporium like Waitrose.

I agree with green grocers and butchers, where you can still find them but disagree that it doesnt matter where you buy veg and ingredients.

The aldi's around us all have poor quality veg.

The supermarket veg is always shiny and lasts for ages but that is what I have a problem with.

I used to grow a lot of my own fresh veg and know that a lot of things spoil soon after being picked. When a radish turns wrinkly within 24 hours of being picked fresh but supermarket ones stay fresh and shiny for 3 weeks then there is something wrong.

HOLA4420

The new Waitrose near me has strangley opened in the middle of the "poorer" end of town, next to the pylons and a few hundred metres from the tip - and their recent advertising campaign points out they are cheaper on many "essentials" than the other big stores...

Obviously however they are generally a higher class store - went in there once for a few bits, and only checked the price of the cheese at the checkout as I was waiting. NEARLY £7 for a small block of cheese... it was quickly thrown back on the shelf.

HOLA4421

I miss Waitrose in Canary Wharf where I used to shop. Often used to see a few celebrities or politicians like Sir Ian McKellen or Lord Owen, fun rubbing shoulders with the banksters in the heart of the beast.

Now spending more money at the Farm shop and or roughing it in Sainsburys.

I agree with the comments about Asda. There was one on the Isle of Dogs and it was like something out of Soviet Russia!

Edited by Sir John Steed

HOLA4422

Others that are into Tescos (like me) might be interested in picking up their Clubcard Credit Card. I got one this week. You get points when you spend (perfect for stoozing) and its interest free for a year.

Not ideal for stoozing, as the transfer is uncapped at 3% of the transfer amount; the potential gain of offsetting against mortgage could easily be wiped out by a minor transgression

HOLA4423

I shop daily at my local waitrose to avoid the middle and lower class. Shopping each day at 1700 hours means I also buy all food at 80% discount. I buy the finest food for fook all. :lol:

You're on the IOW iirc, which means youve only just recently got the option of shopping in waitrose ;)

Before that you must have gone shopping with the plebs like everyone else...

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I agree with green grocers and butchers, where you can still find them but disagree that it doesnt matter where you buy veg and ingredients.

The aldi's around us all have poor quality veg.

The supermarket veg is always shiny and lasts for ages but that is what I have a problem with.

I used to grow a lot of my own fresh veg and know that a lot of things spoil soon after being picked. When a radish turns wrinkly within 24 hours of being picked fresh but supermarket ones stay fresh and shiny for 3 weeks then there is something wrong.

I am reassured when radishes and tomatoes go wrinkly after a few days in the fridge. The public demands perfect looking food and that's what the supermarkets deliver. Good looks is equated with good quality. I'm not sure if irradiated produce is sold in the UK but I am puzzled as to why certain items can be kept for weeks whilst retaining their original look and sheen. Apples from New Zealand seem to last for a particularly long time.