House Price Crash Forum

Petrol At All Time High

juvenal

HOLA441

Nothing but gloom ahead. Oil companies say they can't make any money in UK, even at these prices. Petrol retial industry spokesman says punters' fuel usage will only drop further, producing even less revenue for Treasury.

Get out the bike?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I filled up the other day at 1.219/litre (to beat the VAT, suspected 'green' hike). This now well beats the previous 2008 high...

And yet hardly a whimper.

60-70% of it is tax/duty... and they bury their heads.

People have become habituated to the cost of living rising faster than wages. I wonder what Merv's fancharts have to say about that.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Nothing but gloom ahead. Oil companies say they can't make any money in UK, even at these prices. Petrol retial industry spokesman says punters' fuel usage will only drop further, producing even less revenue for Treasury.

Get out the bike?

Cars are becoming more fuel efficient. Most new diesel cars have great fuel consumption, typically you would expect >50 MPG combined, and >70 MPG extra urban Compare that with just a few years ago.

I'm looking for a new car right now, and I was staggered by the economical fuel usage of new models from all manufacturers. They're after the fleet market..and not surprisingly, low emissions and low fuel consumption are top priority.

HOLA448

Filled up for just over £1.30 a litre I think. I'd get another bike but I'm fed up with the new bike - stolen - police report - insurance claim - new bike stolen police report insurance claim circle.

Do you postcode stamp your bike? (our local police have an engraver tool to do it)

A friend had a very expensive bike which was covered in black tape. It looked crap and he reckoned it was what stopped it getting nicked.

HOLA449

Cars are becoming more fuel efficient. Most new diesel cars have great fuel consumption, typically you would expect >50 MPG combined, and >70 MPG extra urban Compare that with just a few years ago.

I'm looking for a new car right now, and I was staggered by the economical fuel usage of new models from all manufacturers. They're after the fleet market..and not surprisingly, low emissions and low fuel consumption are top priority.

Look at it another way.....instead of traveling 70 miles people will be cutting their travel down to 50 miles using the same car........soon it will not be cost effective to travel to work for some..... ;)

HOLA4410

Gavyn Davies (Ex Goldman's, Govt advisor, BBC Chair etc etc) said last week that $147 oil had a greater impact on the '08 collapse than many people think.

If he's correct then we could be on the cusp of another round of demand collapse, bank/credit collapse and so on...........

If our economies couldn't cope with > $100 when the banks were (theoretically) solvent, they have zero chance now the banks have collapsed, the govts. debts have gone through the roof, asset prices are lower and jobs are fewer.

The oil price is the key. Hyperinflation my ar%e.

HOLA4411

Archived