House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agent Today

Roost

HOLA441
HOLA442

Some say the 'yawning gap' between RM asking prices and sales prices is because of the high amount of cash buyers not showing up in Hali-Wide figures.

I dont buy it, the land reg figs are the same as Hali-Wides, not RM. The fact is about 25-30% of the houses on RM will NEVER sell unless they knock 40%+ off their prices, thats why asking prices are so distorted, not because of top end cash buyers.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Some say the 'yawning gap' between RM asking prices and sales prices is because of the high amount of cash buyers not showing up in Hali-Wide figures.

I dont buy it, the land reg figs are the same as Hali-Wides, not RM. The fact is about 25-30% of the houses on RM will NEVER sell unless they knock 40%+ off their prices, thats why asking prices are so distorted, not because of top end cash buyers.

you are right to not buy it. who are these "some" clutching at such heinous straws.

100% cash buyers tend to be crooked car dealers or Russians who I dont suppose are more likely than purchasers taking out mortgages to pay over the odds. I would have thought if its 100% your money you are as tight fisted as anyone.

HOLA446

ARTICLE

Interesting to read

quote from EA comments "Personally I'd rather sell 20 houses at 25% off than 5 houses at full asking wouldn't you?"

It was probably posted by an HPCer pretending to be an estate agent, estate agents haven't had the sense to see it for three years now so what makes today any different?

HOLA447

Some...are talking out their a**e. If you were a cash buyer would you not be paying less than everyone else ?

These magical cash buyers don't exist in any great numbers.

HOLA448

It was probably posted by an HPCer pretending to be an estate agent, estate agents haven't had the sense to see it for three years now so what makes today any different?

Some might recall the old classic film "Gorn with the Wind." I can always remember one phrase spoken by Rhett Buter when confronted by the new order over the demise of the South. Mr. Butler responded by saying there is more money to be made when everything is crashing around you than when times are good.

EAs should take note. Pile 'em high and sell 'em CHEAP!

If we get some bad employment numbers I am reverting to uber-bear status. :D

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA449

Some...are talking out their a**e. If you were a cash buyer would you not be paying less than everyone else ?

These magical cash buyers don't exist in any great numbers.

indeed.

only cash buyers i know are parents buying boltholes for tarquin, or drug dealers money laundering in the North West. both at the bottom scraping end of the market.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yeah, I guess if you were looking to launder you'd pay asking price.

But then you would sell a few months later at well below average, just to get the cash out quick. If it were money laundering the figures would be distorted downwards too because of this.

Makes no sense at all why figures are so bullish. Other than they aren't, they are made up.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Or an estate agent pretending to be an HPCer pretending to be an estate agent....

I genuinely don't believe you can stereotype an entire profession, don't get sucked in to far by HPC groupthink

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I may get flamed for this but i dont really get the hatred of estate agents on here.

When the market is rising, they accelerate it, when the market is falling they accelerate it.

I see agents as an ally now tbh, and the media is courting these 'experts' on the news. On tonights news they had one saying sellers need to lower their prices to realistic levels - surely good news?

HOLA4417

Older people trading down? There must be quite a few of these.

My wife's granny bought a £400k house with cash.

indeed.

only cash buyers i know are parents buying boltholes for tarquin, or drug dealers money laundering in the North West. both at the bottom scraping end of the market.

HOLA4418

I may get flamed for this but i dont really get the hatred of estate agents on here.

When the market is rising, they accelerate it, when the market is falling they accelerate it.

I see agents as an ally now tbh, and the media is courting these 'experts' on the news. On tonights news they had one saying sellers need to lower their prices to realistic levels - surely good news?

Naah.... They are lying b@stards, and every lie trips off their lips as a matter of habit and conditioning.

Only when they "get" the new reality, and understand the implications, will they survive. But if they were bright enough to get it, then they'd be doing a proper job already. Estate agency is pretty much the only "profession" in life where you can be as thick as pigsh!t, but still make more money than your punters....

So.... don't hold your breath.

B

HOLA4419

+1

There's a huge number of vendors living in la la land who will never sell and ignore every thing the agent says when they ask for our advice. I'd always rather just have motivated vendors who understand the market and will accept a decent price but it rarely ever happens that way.

HOLA4420

100% cash buyers tend to be crooked car dealers or Russians who I dont suppose are more likely than purchasers taking out mortgages to pay over the odds.

Or those who bought in 1994 for tuppence and sold in the last couple of years when they'd magicked "90% equity" through house inflation.

Lucky money, not clever money.