House Price Crash Forum

Cml Squealing Yet Again About Fsa Proposals--Merged

HOLA441

I just read this in the beeb article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11468240

The CML denied it was scaremongering, but acknowledged that, if the FSA's restrictions had been place in the past few years, many borrowers would simply have had to change their plans.

"They would have got a smaller mortgage, they wouldn't have been able to buy a house near where they wanted to live, they would have had to move further out," Michael Coogan of the CML told the BBC.

No, they would have got a smaller mortgage and would have been able to buy a house near where they wanted to live because everyone else would also be taking out smaller mortgages

Stupid VI w****ker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I was just talking to an EA in Swansea who said that 30% deposits were now the norm and that it had killed off the FTB market.

No idea how this is affecting people remortgaging further up the ladder. The EA was of the opinion that buyers are panicing because they can't get mortgages but I bit my lip... thinking that it should be sellers panicing...

HOLA443

It is quite frightening to me that they consider any of these measures in any way optional.

No wonder we are in such a mess...

* assessing an applicant's income and expenditure

* assessing their ability to repay on a full capital-and-interest basis

* assuming loans are for no longer than 25 years

* restricting the size of loans to people with past payment problems and

* assuming that interest rates might rise from their initial level.

I wonder exactly which of these criteria they think is excessive?

I just showed those criteria to my uncle who was a Midland Bank branch manger until the late 1980s. He was absolutley staggered that they no longer have to use these criteria which he said were just the normal criteria which were applied to every mortgage in his day. He's taking them along to the next pensioner's meeting so they can all have a laugh/cry. He also had no idea that you could now get IO without a repayment vehicle. In those days one had to be legally assigned to the mortgage and reviewed every year.

Edited by oldsport

HOLA444
HOLA445

I just showed those criteria to my uncle who was a Midland Bank branch manger until the late 1980s. He was absolutley staggered that they no longer have to use these criteria which he said were just the normal criteria which were applied to every mortgage in his day. He's taking them along to the next pensioner's meeting so they can all have a laugh/cry. He also had no idea that you could now get IO without a repayment vehicle. In those days one had to be legally assigned to the mortgage and reviewed every year.

Those were the days - and things WORKED - because people did things PROPERLY - and HONESTLY.......

HOLA446

Was it Coogan on Radio 5 Live at 6.50am this morning?

He got a bit of a pasting from Andrew Verity and Mickey Clarke. They put it to him that the mortgage lenders had lent far too much money to people who couldnt pay, and why should mortgage lenders lend to someone without verifying their income?

You can hear it in all its glory here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/v16l6/?t=48m07s

Edited by mrtickle

HOLA447

One of them was interviewed on radio 5 before 7am this morning. He said his piece then the interviewers got stuck into him. He was squeeling like a stuck pig before they had finished and just sounded like a VI with little of interest to say. They grilled him on over priced houses being the problem, didn't ask about the low low low interest rate we have had being responsible for most people being OK for now, but well done BBC at last. I recall the interviewer even said house price falls are predicted !!!

Seems momentum has turned and price falls are mainstream thoughts now, and squeeling piggies at the trough are to become tomorrows bacon butties.

Hear it and enjoy it again for the next 7 days:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/v16l6/?t=48m07s

• 1 month later...
HOLA448
HOLA449

Don't understand the CML at all. Its not as if their members have any money to lend (speculatively) anyway, and neither has the Government. Presumably they just want the "wriggle room" to lend recklessly if they want to.

What if the banks don't actualy want to lend?

Perhaps CML fully expect another crash and are just looking for somone else to blame for the mortgage drought

Remeber that before the ConDems came in the governement line was always 'if we can only get the banks to lend again' so it's not supprising that the CML are promoting an alternate scapegoat (FSA) for this time round.

HOLA4410

What if the banks don't actualy want to lend?

Perhaps CML fully expect another crash and are just looking for somone else to blame for the mortgage drought

Remeber that before the ConDems came in the governement line was always 'if we can only get the banks to lend again' so it's not supprising that the CML are promoting an alternate scapegoat (FSA) for this time round.

Good point.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Lower prices would have meant they would not have needed to reject 16% of applicant on the basis of breaching the '35% of income rule',

nor would they have been required to reject a further 16% mortgages on the basis of affordability over a 25 year mortgage.

Last of all, they would not have rejected one fifth of mortgages due to affordability over a 25 year period.

Its simple, regulation would have merely stopped the prices going ballistic - the applicants would have been able to proceed at sensible prices whilst lenders would have been able to work to a sensible lending framework.

......./

The elephant is sitting in the room. It takes up most of the room. But no one sees it. :rolleyes::rolleyes: