House Price Crash Forum

Chris Moyles Not Paid For Two Months...

OnionTerror

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11391959

Radio One breakfast show DJ Chris Moyles has launched an on-air tirade against the BBC on Wednesday, claiming he had not been paid for two months.

"I'm very, very angry for being put into this position," he said. "I haven't been paid since the end of July and no-one cares about it."

Moyles said he had considered not coming in to work, adding: "If they're not bothered, why should I bother?"

Radio One was not immediately available to comment on the DJ's comments.

Moyles, who is Radio One's longest-serving breakfast DJ, signed a new contract with the BBC in July.

At the time, he talked about his delight at the new deal, writing on Twitter: "I might treat myself to a few drinks tonight as it's warm and the contract at work is now done. 12 more months of early starts!"

In contrast, the host spent a chunk of the early part of Wednesday morning's broadcast complaining about his pay.

"I was texting my agent last night," he said, "and I am so angry that they've put me in this position where now I have to choose whether or not I go to work."

"Fix it, just get it fixed. It's a huge lack of respect."

His producers and colleagues attempted to soothe the situation, saying they had faced similar situations previously.

But Moyles seemed unrepentant, he said: "It's to do with our new contracts. Some dope, I pretty much know who's responsible in this building. I even know the name of the moronic div.

"I bet you any money their ass is getting paid," he added.

He went on to appeal to the BBC's director general, Mark Thompson, to sort the situation out.

"What is it worth for me to carry on 'til, let's say, seven? A tenner?" he pleaded.

"Can you imagine if Terry Wogan had not been paid for two months, do you think that would ever happen?

"It just wouldn't, would it? Do you ever think anyone would forget to pay Chris Evans for two months and nobody would panic about it?"

"I'm not sorry for the outburst at all," he surmised, "I needed to get it out of my system."

"Don't get me wrong, I love my job."

Moyles's agent declined to comment further but added the issue was in the process of being rectified.

I wish he'd kept his promise, and buggered off..

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11391959

I wish he'd kept his promise, and buggered off..

He won't because I think he realises that, like Jonathan Woss, he's essentially a talentless oaf who wouldn't get a job for anything near what the Beeb pay him anywhere else. Not that I excuse an employer failing to pay its workers, mind you.

Throwing your toys out the pram on radio is utterly pathetic though. The guy hasn't been paid - why does he feel the need to act like a kid about it? It's a simple contractual dispute - employer don't pay, worker don't work. Easy.

HOLA444

He won't because I think he realises that, like Jonathan Woss, he's essentially a talentless oaf who wouldn't get a job for anything near what the Beeb pay him anywhere else. Not that I excuse an employer failing to pay its workers, mind you.

Throwing your toys out the pram on radio is utterly pathetic though. The guy hasn't been paid - why does he feel the need to act like a kid about it? It's a simple contractual dispute - employer don't pay, worker don't work. Easy.

He's on at least £630k a year... :o:o:o:o a truly staggering amount for such a chancer...

(article is four years out of date, but I suspect he's probably earning at least around that...)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2006/apr/13/ischrismoylesworth630000

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

He's on at least £630k a year... :o:o:o:o a truly staggering amount for such a chancer...

(article is four years out of date, but I suspect he's probably earning at least around that...)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2006/apr/13/ischrismoylesworth630000

Which, quite honestly, makes an on-air rant even more pathetic given the current economic climate. The guy hasn't been paid his massive monthly wage packet due to what is essentially a clerical screw-up/incompetence but there are loads of people who will be in the same situation due to their employer having genuine financial troubles and who may be wondering if they are going to get paid at all.

There is zero doubt that he will get paid so why can't he just keep his stupid fat face shut about it? I mean there's something called personal dignity, after all. Clearly that isn't something one can buy, even with a £630K wage packet.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I utterly detest this bloke. Ever since I was at Uni in 97 and we all used to gather round the radio to listen to Mark and Lard (STOP...carry on) 1-3pm. great days. Then this ***** would come on and we'd all have a winge and go to the pub!

Talentless, unfunny bully. Pervs on the women, takes the micky out the blokes. Just a sad sad bully only listened to by the seriously hard of humour

HOLA4413

I utterly detest this bloke. Ever since I was at Uni in 97 and we all used to gather round the radio to listen to Mark and Lard (STOP...carry on) 1-3pm. great days. Then this ***** would come on and we'd all have a winge and go to the pub!

Talentless, unfunny bully. Pervs on the women, takes the micky out the blokes. Just a sad sad bully only listened to by the seriously hard of humour

So, the same as Brand and Woss then?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Loathed as I am to say this, but I broadly agree with this chap from the DM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1314735/Why-DOES-BBC-tolerate-boorish-loudmouth.html#

So Chris Moyles, the grand boor of Radio 1, has finally bitten the hand that feeds him. Or rather, doesn’t feed him — given that he claimed in an astonishing on-air rant this week that he hasn’t been paid by the BBC since July.

‘I’m very, very angry at being put in this position,’ he told listeners in the 20-minute tirade. ‘It’s a huge lack of respect and a massive FU to me.’

The Breakfast Show host added, with his hallmark elegant wit, that whoever was responsible was a ‘moronic div’.

The outburst has provoked a huge fallout, not least from Moyles’s own listeners — he has around nine million a week — many of whom seemed rather unsympathetic to the cash flow problems of someone paid close to £500,000 a year.

Amid calls for him to be sacked for so blatantly attacking his own employer in public, Moyles is now desperately trying to downplay the incident.

He said: ‘I tried to explain to my boss yesterday that, even though he put me on the Breakfast Show on Radio 1, actually — secretly — I’m very, very moody first thing in the morning.

‘I’m not a great morning person.’

But the contrite mood was spoiled slightly by his arrogant addition: ‘That rant that I did yesterday, it’s not the worst rant I’ve ever done on the air.’

Well, that much is certainly true. Moyles’s Breakfast Show has run on seemingly limitless reserves of drivel and crudity.

Many think the BBC should have pulled the plug last year after the media regulator Ofcom found Moyles in breach of broadcasting codes over offensive spoof songs he sung on his shows.

In January, Moyles made reference to the gay singer Will Young’s birthday by singing Young’s first hit, Evergreen, in an effeminate voice.

‘It’s my birthday today, gonna wear my new dress tonight. And I smell nice. I’ve had a shower and I’ve shaved my legs.’

He then gave a rendition of Young’s hit Leave Right Now: ‘When you saw me years ago you didn’t know, but now I’m the gayest fella you probably know. Mmm, I like to wear a silly hat, I get camper by the hour.’

And so on.

It was only the previous month that Moyles sparked a racism storm, after commenting on air: ‘I just find that if you’re Polish, you’re very good at ironing ... and prostitutes.’

This is a man who is deliberately, determinedly yobbish, apparently incapable of lifting his Neanderthal ­knuckles from the floor — and yet he was given charge of a show listened to around family breakfast tables in hundreds of thousands of homes, as well as by countless children on the school run.

It’s true that Moyles has his supporters — those who claim they need the raucous tones of his breakfast show to fully charge their batteries.

But his is a style that tends to grate quickly.

If he is not badgering some poor member of the public on the phone for not having an interesting enough job or asking a woman caller for her bra size, he’s talking nonsense with his hyperactive team of sidekicks. What is even more depressing is that he seems to revel in his own ignorance.

Anything that falls outside his narrow parameters of interest, such as literature or current affairs, is dismissed as ‘boring’.

This wouldn’t all be so bad were Moyles funny. But he really isn’t.

Moyles has two preoccupations — being provocative and women with well- upholstered chests.

That’s it. If at all possible, Moyles tries to combine the two, as he did in 2006 when Oscar-winning actress Halle Berry appeared on his show.

The American clashed with him after he impersonated what he described as a ‘big, fat, black guy from Brooklyn’.

An unimpressed Berry asked Moyles: ‘Are we having a racist moment here?’

But, when it comes to women, he’s just a creep. When there’s a female guest star on his show you can almost hear him drooling and his numbskull questions are larded with cack-handed and utterly charmless double entendres.

Two years ago, Moyles — much to his evident enjoyment — consensually groped the breasts of the Spice Girls singer Mel B on the show, while he gave a running commentary.

In 2006, meanwhile, he was censured by Ofcom after referring to some women listeners as ‘dirty whores’.

It’s not as if the BBC didn’t know what it was getting before the organisation promoted him to the Breakfast Show in 2004.

On Charlotte Church’s 16th birthday in 2002, Moyles offered to take her virginity, or, as he put it: ‘Lead her through the forest of her sexuality.’

Yuck.

So how did this oafish man come to present the BBC’s flagship Breakfast Show?

Well, you have to acknowledge that he has worked in radio all his professional life and is relentlessly ambitious.

He had his own show on Radio Topshop, in a store in Leeds, by the time he was 16 and just five years later, aged 21, he arrived in London at Capital FM.

As soon as he joined Radio 1 in 1997 he raised hackles.

The venerable John Peel took against Moyles and accused him of being a ‘DLT-in-waiting’ (DLT being a reference to the Seventies Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis, derided for his shambolic appearance and cheesy playlists).

Moyles retorted that Peel was a Kenny Everett-in-waiting ‘because Kenny Everett’s dead and it’s only a matter of time before John pops his clogs’.

He really does know how to charm.

And while it is difficult to criticise Moyles’s work ethic and energy, he cannot claim that his abrasive radio personality is original.

His crude style has been appropriated almost wholesale from controversial American ‘shock jock’ Howard Stern, one of Moyles’s heroes.

The only oasis of calm during his breakfast show is when he plays a record, which seems to happen about three times an hour.

Even then, it’s quite clear that Moyles has little or no interest in most of the bands whose songs he plays — unless they happen to feature attractive women, of course, and then he’s forever banging on about their ‘assets’.

But Moyles wasn’t always such a yob. His early shows on Capital FM were notable for cheeky irreverence rather than crudeness.

But as his fame and listenership have grown, so have his ego and his arrogance, while his ‘humour’ has become ever more laddish, bigoted and, well, frankly adolescent.

Until now, critics have been met with scorn.

Moyles has been unabashedly and unashamedly dismissive of anyone who claims he has been ­ contributing to the dumbing-down of our national broadcaster, citing his listening figures and radio industry awards as proof.

How much longer such dubious achievements will protect him is anyone’s guess.

But the real mystery is why the BBC, which is supposed to be more concerned with maintaining ­ broadcasting standards than chasing listeners, tolerates this loudmouth.

HOLA4416

and as talentless as that overpaid dick Chris Evans. The kiss of death to any programme

I don't like him either.

BUT you are all ignoring the elephant in the room:

wapedia

"With the release of the RAJAR listening figures on 3 August 2006, Moyles had added a further 470,000 listeners to the Breakfast Show, taking the average listenership up to 6.79 million. On 10 May 2007, RAJAR figures confirmed that Moyles had increased his listening figures to 7.06 million, breaking the seven million barrier for the first time... Moyles again increased his audience to 7.72 million as of 1 May 2008 ..."

Guardian Media

" in the first three months of 2010...Moyles' audience also grew, from 7.24 million to 7.9 million weekly listeners."

"Radio 1 confirmed that Moyles had 9.1 million weekly listeners in the first quarter of the year if under-15s are included,"

I don't think Mr Moyles is going to worry very much about HPC'ers loathing him. Is he?

HOLA4417

and as talentless as that overpaid dick Chris Evans. The kiss of death to any programme

Don't really have a problem with Chris Evans, he's reasonably talented and I don't really think you could call him work-shy or anything. He's essentially made all his own money from inventing formats and producing stuff rather than just talking crap and gettingpaid for it.

The problem I have with the likes of Moyles, Brand and Woss of that they are essentially all one trick ponies and, unfortunately, all do the same trick which is simply to be offensive. They aren't talented they're just pillocks.

HOLA4418

I don't like him either.

BUT you are all ignoring the elephant in the room:

wapedia

"With the release of the RAJAR listening figures on 3 August 2006, Moyles had added a further 470,000 listeners to the Breakfast Show, taking the average listenership up to 6.79 million. On 10 May 2007, RAJAR figures confirmed that Moyles had increased his listening figures to 7.06 million, breaking the seven million barrier for the first time... Moyles again increased his audience to 7.72 million as of 1 May 2008 ..."

Guardian Media

" in the first three months of 2010...Moyles' audience also grew, from 7.24 million to 7.9 million weekly listeners."

"Radio 1 confirmed that Moyles had 9.1 million weekly listeners in the first quarter of the year if under-15s are included,"

I don't think Mr Moyles is going to worry very much about HPC'ers loathing him. Is he?

The actual Elephant inj the room though is the fact that he works for the BBC and audiendce fugures are not supposed to be the thing of most importance. The BBC doesn't make more money because more people consume their output so it's pretty much irrelevant how many people listen.

HOLA4419

it's pretty much irrelevant how many people listen.

Nice theory in an ideal world.

Reality will be that the controllers think about this above all else, especially in the run up to annual budgeting and licence fee negotiating.

Any BBC wallahs like to comment?

What are the terms of reference here? Chris Moyles and the corporation as it is, or how we wish it was?

HOLA4420

Didn't Dave Lee Travis do something similar in the 80s? Although I think that was at least about general changes to Radio 1 instead of being purely personal (or was claimed to be). Smashie and Nicie parodied it well with an on-air rant followed by a rush to the Controller's office to tender their resignations before they could be fired!

HOLA4421

Nice theory in an ideal world.

Reality will be that the controllers think about this above all else, especially in the run up to annual budgeting and licence fee negotiating.

Any BBC wallahs like to comment?

What are the terms of reference here? Chris Moyles and the corporation as it is, or how we wish it was?

Neither, it should be about how the BBC are supposed to behave according to their charter. Okay, it isn't true to say that the BBC can simply produce loads of stuff that zero people watch. However, it gets shitloads of our money in large part to produce stuff that other broadcasters don't because it's financially not viable. It doesn't matter if Chris Moyles gets 9 million listeners or 500K the BBC doesn't make or lose money due to it.

They are a public service broadcaster above all else and should be acting like it. They have no need to pay people like this 500K a year and I fail to see any benefit to it. Chris Moyles doesn't generate any extra reveune for the BBC simply by being there. Working in a high profile position for the BBC should be a priviledge rather than an opportunity simply to extract cash from the tax payer. If he's worth 500K then why can't he just p1ss off somewhere else and do the same job? If he's worth that then he should have no trouble getting it elsewhere, surely?

As part of their public service remit the BBC should have a far greater emphasis on engaging new talent rather than allowing the likes of Moyles and Ross to spend their entire carreers there earning massive pay packets. If you want to work for the BBC then you do so for a modest sum - if you are so talented as to command 500K then someone else can give you it.

HOLA4422

Didn't Dave Lee Travis do something similar in the 80s? Although I think that was at least about general changes to Radio 1 instead of being purely personal (or was claimed to be). Smashie and Nicie parodied it well with an on-air rant followed by a rush to the Controller's office to tender their resignations before they could be fired!

He did and, yes, I think that was more about the state of the BBC rather than personal reward - although I'm sure that was probably part of it. He still came over as a bit of a ***** as I recall.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Archived