House Price Crash Forum

Lets Hope Ryan Air Don't See This!

ken_ichikawa

HOLA441

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/the-worlds-tiniest-airline-seat-the-skyrider/story-e6frfq80-1225922030342?area=travel

However if you thought you were cramped the last time you fly, spare a thought for those who may be squeezed into these seats.

It is estimated that the Skyrider will allow just 23 inches (58 centimetres) of legroom, seven inches (18 centimetres) less than the average seat pitch of around 30 inches (76 centimetres).

The new seats are curved like a saddle and forces passengers to sit at an angle. Part of the passengers' weight will be taken on their legs, which are also tucked under the seat in front.

The seats, designed by Italian aircraft seat design company Aviointeriors, were styled on saddles used by cowboys and will be comfortable for flight of between one to three hours.

“The seat is like a saddle. Cowboys ride eight hours on their horses during the day and still feel comfortable in it,” an Aviointeriors spokesman said.

A partial overlapping of the passengers seating between rows is allowed.

The makers claim several airlines have already expressed an interest in the seats. If an airline decides to go ahead with installing the seats the company would have to apply to aviation authorities for proper certification.

It is likely that passengers would pay less to sit in the seats.

“The Skyrider has been designed and engineered to offer the possibility to even further reduce ticket prices while still maintaining sound profitability.”

Earlier this year controversial Ryanair chief Michael O’Leary said his airline would offer vertical seating. However safety regulators said the vertical seats would not meet safety rule

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/the-worlds-tiniest-airline-seat-the-skyrider/story-e6frfq80-1225922030342?area=travel#ixzz0zd8yFuHP

HOLA442
HOLA443

There was a report today that coach holidays have soared in the past 12 months.

I suspect this is partly cost but also people fed up with being treated like cattle at both airports and by airlines.

I probably contributed to this, flights out of Gatwick are so much cheaper than Manchester thus it is often worth it to punt the £4 for a megabus ticket down to London.

HOLA444
HOLA445

You know, there is no mega bus from Swansea go anywhere... nearest starting place is Cardiff but that is a huge nearly 4 hours to do a 130 mile trip... Heck, by the time you get from S'sea to Cardiff and then to London a working day is at least half gone.

Travel in this country is so crud and so expensive.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

There's no way they'll get a licence for these.

Legroom was actually increased by a few inches because of lobbying over increased fear of Deep Vein Thrombosis. I doubt that reducing it by 7" is going to happen.

Also its obvious these seats could cause evacuation problems for older people and for fat Americans.

I suspect the firm has wasted  its R&D budget.

HOLA449

There was a report today that coach holidays have soared in the past 12 months.

I suspect this is partly cost but also people fed up with being treated like cattle at both airports and by airlines.

Me and Mrs used to get the coach at Victoria to head for Europe when we didn't have two cents to rub together. It's sort of an adventure. Not too bad. With offers we'd sometimes get to, say, Belgium for £11 each. Great days.

HOLA4410
“The seat is like a saddle. Cowboys ride eight hours on their horses during the day and still feel comfortable in it,” an Aviointeriors spokesman said.

Errr no. Anyone who's sat on a horse can tell you it's uncomfortable fairly quickly. I'd also like to hear the safety implications of packing people in like this.

Horrible.

HOLA4411

Its another stupid story, every plane is certified to carry X passengers based on its evacuation tests, they already carry that number with all economy seating.

To increase the number of seats you need to recertify the plane again, which costs a fortune

HOLA4412

Its another stupid story, every plane is certified to carry X passengers based on its evacuation tests, they already carry that number with all economy seating.

To increase the number of seats you need to recertify the plane again, which costs a fortune

You know I've always wondered why you can't waive these certifications and rights....

I.e. I would quite like to see an aircraft packed like Chinese trains and or sleeper buses. Where there are no seats instead everybody is put into a little capsule which takes up the entire hold including the cargo hold. I'm pretty sure if everybody was lying down like this you could cram 2-2000 people onboard an aircraft easily, Something like the Antanov 225 could easily hold 8000 people in this sort of configuration. You'd get a full flat bed type thing, and the tickets would be so incredibly cheap!

HOLA4413

You know I've always wondered why you can't waive these certifications and rights....

I.e. I would quite like to see an aircraft packed like Chinese trains and or sleeper buses. Where there are no seats instead everybody is put into a little capsule which takes up the entire hold including the cargo hold. I'm pretty sure if everybody was lying down like this you could cram 2-2000 people onboard an aircraft easily, Something like the Antanov 225 could easily hold 8000 people in this sort of configuration. You'd get a full flat bed type thing, and the tickets would be so incredibly cheap!

That would be a lot of extra weight.

As for the people on these buses and on board these planes like above ? Do cathatars and colostomy bags come as standard...laugh.gif

HOLA4414

That would be a lot of extra weight.

As for the people on these buses and on board these planes like above ? Do cathatars and colostomy bags come as standard...laugh.gif

Nope you're told to poop before getting onboard....the advantage of such a system is that the aircraft 'pods' can just be fitted with a giant condom type thing in each pod. So to turn it around you just fit new giant condom things into each pod.

its funny really as some bikers will spend £1000s on bike performance increases properly enhancing the engine and such like! I know a guy who spent £4000 on a set of carbon wheels... The weight he saved was negated by the fact he put on heavier brake discs (though heavy wheels have better gyroscopic forces), in the end he had saved 200grammes! . We all collectively told him taking a poop would have been cheaper to save that amount of weight!

HOLA4415

Nope you're told to poop before getting onboard....the advantage of such a system is that the aircraft 'pods' can just be fitted with a giant condom type thing in each pod. So to turn it around you just fit new giant condom things into each pod.

its funny really as some bikers will spend £1000s on bike performance increases properly enhancing the engine and such like! I know a guy who spent £4000 on a set of carbon wheels... The weight he saved was negated by the fact he put on heavier brake discs (though heavy wheels have better gyroscopic forces), in the end he had saved 200grammes! . We all collectively told him taking a poop would have been cheaper to save that amount of weight!

Or conversely, because of the weight saving he didn't need to take a dump pre-ride.

Archived