• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I hope no-one will sign the petition, we need much more expensive fuel to begin the transition to an oil-free (or less oil-dependent) way of life.

We are subsiding the mad mullahs, boiling the earth, and have spoilt our cities and towns thanks to the car and the black stuff.

Where's the petition to increase fuel tax? I voted for it and will do aso gain, this government cravenly forgot that it commited to retain the previous tax escalator in the face a few short-sighted campaigners like you.

And house prices will crash.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

High fuel prices (as in Oil not tax) affect alot more than just transport costs, there are countless products made from oil, plastic to name just one!!

In the next 20 years it'll be like going back in time.... your new ultraplasma television finished in stunning bakelite!!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Same air you breath in a car is it not?

You breathe a lot more air cycling than you do in a car. Also, in cities bikes will often be stuck in the same parts of the road as diesel buses and taxis, which are by far the most harmful polluters.

There was an article in one of the papers a few weeks ago about a study showing that cycling to work in a big city was as harmful as smoking a few cigarettes (incidentally, another study by one of the London universities a few years back showed the same harm from commuting on the underground).

Just use a face mask!

Might make you feel better, but won't do much to stop the most dangerous pollutants.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4413
High fuel prices (as in Oil not tax) affect alot more than just transport costs, there are countless products made from oil, plastic to name just one!!

In the next 20 years it'll be like going back in time.... your new ultraplasma television finished in stunning bakelite!!

Indeed, it's much more than rep mobiles, even if you don't own a car oil affects nearly everything you do, from food production, transportation, chemicals, nearly everything in your home to heating your home, even your bloody tooth paste.

I'd be much more worried about the price of crude than excise duty, though obviously the increase in transport costs drive inflation and therefore should drive interest rates.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
But cycling is also a very good form of exercise which will easily off-set the damage of inhaling a few fumes.

Even if that's the case, you'd be much better to drive to work and then exercise in an area that's _not_ full of carcinogenic pollutants.

Better get on the renewables bandwagon, you selfish car-owners

Yes, it's horrible all those selfish, selfish car-owners driving to the jobs that keep this country's economy going.

HOLA4417
We're having to cope with f*cking outragous fuel prices, and most of what we pay is tax! There's a site raising a petition against this nightmare, and I hope many of you will add your name to it.

http://www.fuelprotest.com/

Not again! For how long are we going to get these nutters coming out of the woodwork? Not so long ago, we saw the 'independent' farmers and hauliers attempting their thuggery at the oil refinery entrances - and failed. (One of the leaders is now a Tory Welsh Assembly member - his protest wasn't political, of course!)

Before trying bully-boy tactics on the roads, these people should tell us where they propose cutting public expenditure to match the tax cuts. Reduce the armed forces, perhaps? Cut back on cancer treatment in our hospitals? Close schools? Alternatively, they will introduce Capital Gains Tax on private house price gains. We wouldn't want that, would we. ;)

What about introducing the much higher costs that continental hauliers, for example, put up with? With road tolls and enormous lorry taxes?

p

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Every day seems to bring a new surprise for us 'typical' road users. Fuel cost increases, road tax increases, tolls, parking costs, extortionate parking fines (I can use this word legally in this context under Scots Law), unrealistic speeding restrictions, the endless roadworks, costs of motorway 'services', costs of buying cars, costs of disposing cars, costs of supplying and disposing of other people's cars, the cost of insurance, cost of repairs - the list goes on and on

All bar one of these gripes seem to have nothing whatsoever to do with the price of petrol. And petrol is still cheaper than milk, bottled water, orange juice, just about any liquid you care to name, despite being a non-renewable resource.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
If you take Congestion Charging for exampple you may well be right, but I'll have to ask my mate Prescott about that one.

Well, as far as I can see Two-Jags does believe that roads should be restricted to 'important' people like him, without the oiks getting in the way.

Hence, for example, the M4 government vehicles lane.

HOLA4423
Same air you breath in a car is it not?

Just use a face mask!

Actually its funny you should say that because i don't think it is and i know how daft that sounds but i know when im on my motorbike and sat behind a car the exaust fumes are awful if i open my visor, i can smell them and taste them. Ive never had that in a car?

Also i think on a pushbike it generally takes longer so you've a greater exposer, could wear a mask i suppose they do in china i believe.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425