House Price Crash Forum

Job Losses

hilltop

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/aug/23/profit-warnings-public-sector-cuts

This may be a matter of unintended consequences. Budget cuts have had an early impact on businesses providing goods and services to the public sector.

The redundancies so hoped for by many are happening, but in the private sector. No doubt these are the very kind of businesses which the Tories hoped would fill the activity void caused by the cuts. No doubt too, many of the businesses are owned by people who bought the Tory version of good government..

Another own goal from the Boy David.

HOLA442
HOLA443
More public sector suppliers going bust
James Hurley, 19:10, Monday 23 August 2010
The number of businesses going bust that supply goods and services to the public sector has increased by 47pc, as government spending cuts lead to delayed and cancelled contracts.
According to accountancy firm Wilkins Kennedy, 168 businesses in the health and social services, education and defence sectors went bust in the first half of this year, compared with 114 in the same period in 2009, suggesting austerity measures are already leading to business failures.

Looks like the carnage has begun. Jobs are going to shed in the thousands soon. :(

HOLA444
HOLA445

Also, "DC" will bt now sussed that he should have told the Libs to F*ck off & "allowed" Gordo to "Win".........It would have been nice to have watched Gordo/Labour/Libs go for each other & a lovely bloodbath that follows as the market KILLS the the £ stone DEAD!

Now, sadly DC will be shown to be NO Marget T & it will all crash & burn as DC "bottles out" & tells Merv to "QE2"

Mike

HOLA446

Also, "DC" will bt now sussed that he should have told the Libs to F*ck off & "allowed" Gordo to "Win".........It would have been nice to have watched Gordo/Labour/Libs go for each other & a lovely bloodbath that follows as the market KILLS the the £ stone DEAD!

Now, sadly DC will be shown to be NO Marget T & it will all crash & burn as DC "bottles out" & tells Merv to "QE2"

Mike

You may be correct but the reality is that if Gordon Brown had continued the carnage for us all would likely be 10 times worse.

This is actually early 80's all over again and it is going to be indiscriminate as to who is affected. This time it will be every sector, every background, every age group, every colour, creed, skill set.

I don't believe Cameron will back down at all. He is absolutely set on restoring this country's financial footing at whatever cost. He knows as do all people thinking rationally and logically that without UK PLC

HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/aug/23/profit-warnings-public-sector-cuts

This may be a matter of unintended consequences. Budget cuts have had an early impact on businesses providing goods and services to the public sector.

The redundancies so hoped for by many are happening, but in the private sector. No doubt these are the very kind of businesses which the Tories hoped would fill the activity void caused by the cuts. No doubt too, many of the businesses are owned by people who bought the Tory version of good government..

cyclops

HOLA449

Just thinking, will it spoil the victory for people if their cheap house comes at the price of people on the street living in boxes?

Personally it will make it even more juicy a victory. :lol:

If you do ever get yourself a cheap house , bet is that with a twisted mind like yours you will not enjoy it will you .

HOLA4410

A friend of mine works for a company which manufactors window frames and various associated stuff. The company has been mainly running on public sector contracts for the last couple of years, school and hospitals. But obviously now it's dried up, he's been told to take his outstanding holiday as there is no work at the moment and he says he will be suprised if he still has a job by christmas.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

It is not a matter of whether private is good and public is bad or vice versa. The question that has to be asked is 'does it add value?'. Many private businesses sucking at the teat of the public purse may not fulfill that criterion.

But yes, it is much easier for the public sector to sack private sector staff and cut frontline services rather than enact real reform.

Yep, people on here keep going on about these 'private sector' businesses that'll be collateral damage from the cuts and how everyone won't be happy then. Every time I read about one of these 'private sector' companies with public sector contracts I struggle to muster much sympathy.

Even in the more genuine cases there's a bit of a question mark over how they couldn't see their business was exclusively hitched to a, not unknown phenomena, Labour government tax and spend gravy train.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

It is not a matter of whether private is good and public is bad or vice versa. The question that has to be asked is 'does it add value?'. Many private businesses sucking at the teat of the public purse may not fulfill that criterion.

It'a a good point. If a stationary supplier, for example, can only stay afloat by charging public sector £5 for a stapler (for example) when it is possible to get the same thing with 2,000 staples included for a quid from poundstretcher then that supplier is not viable. Nobody should be upset when businesses like that are forced to take a haircut.

HOLA4419

It'a a good point. If a stationary supplier, for example, can only stay afloat by charging public sector £5 for a stapler (for example) when it is possible to get the same thing with 2,000 staples included for a quid from poundstretcher then that supplier is not viable. Nobody should be upset when businesses like that are forced to take a haircut.

Quite right, that business definitely isn't going anywhere.

HOLA4420

I'm a security guard (Don't laugh, at least your not supporting me) and i work as a contractor for a large blue chip company. I have seen hundreds of redundancies over the last year.

Hundreds of office workers who looked down on me and my colleagues have now been forced out the door due to redundancy. Many have been replaced by contractors from foreign lands but most have simply disappeared.

They cant get rid of me because i come with the building's insurance and even if the whole place gets shut down it will be me who turns the lights out and locks the doors when everyone els is gone.

Anyway its a huge building and half of it is now empty. Things are bad and getting worse. I often wander how those arrogant data input numptys are now paying their mortgages; call me a taxi, carry my stuff, escourt my guest, cover reception while i have the afternoon off. Your all f****d now arnt you. lol.

The facilities dep't who lorded it over us with their petty requests and pointless aditions to our dutys have been outsorced to a contractor. How we all laughed when they all lost their jobs i cant tell you.

Happy days.

HOLA4421

It is the obvious consequences. The cuts will first hit those from whom govt and local govt can stop issuing contracts. After that they can only cut employed persons to reduce their costs further.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm a security guard (Don't laugh, at least your not supporting me) and i work as a contractor for a large blue chip company. I have seen hundreds of redundancies over the last year.

Hundreds of office workers who looked down on me and my colleagues have now been forced out the door due to redundancy. Many have been replaced by contractors from foreign lands but most have simply disappeared.

They cant get rid of me because i come with the building's insurance and even if the whole place gets shut down it will be me who turns the lights out and locks the doors when everyone els is gone.

Anyway its a huge building and half of it is now empty. Things are bad and getting worse. I often wander how those arrogant data input numptys are now paying their mortgages; call me a taxi, carry my stuff, escourt my guest, cover reception while i have the afternoon off. Your all f****d now arnt you. lol.

The facilities dep't who lorded it over us with their petty requests and pointless aditions to our dutys have been outsorced to a contractor. How we all laughed when they all lost their jobs i cant tell you.

Happy days.

From my travels round the country, I think a lot of them have donned brightly coloured lycra, splurged some redundancy on a racing bike and are now pounding the roads each day to keep themselves sane.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What are you saying? You think somehow you are going to get a house bargain with no one actually losing out, or getting hurt? How is that going to work?

I'm saying everyone is seriously f&cked off, but taking joy in folk ending up in boxes is the first step down a very dark path - it ends with mental problems