House Price Crash Forum

What's The Best Beer You've Had?

Pick It Down

HOLA441

I went to an American beer festival a few weeks back at the North Bar in Leeds. Great stuff, if a bit expensive. There I did get the opportunity to a sample a pint of Hercules Double IPA. An absolute amazing beer, very hoppy and at 10% to be enjoyed slowly. I went back in their earlier and was amazed ot see it still on despite the festival having ended, it was still just as good. I have a new respect for American beer. Never let anyone put it down as close to piss any more.

Thornbridge always create a good brew and their Jaipur IPA, always on tap in the Grove Inn Huddersfield and the Rutland Chesterfield is probably the best example of an IPA brewed in this country. At 5.9% it also packs a punch, but is true to the style and packs all the right floral hoppy flavours. One to travel for.

The other one that stays in the memory is Badger's Golden Glory, at 4% just a mellow brew, I had this one in Aberystwyth and have never seen it on tap since. The bottled stuff is still quite tasty but nowhere near the quality. It is also a light ale with a floral, peachy kick to it that is unusual for a British beer. I get the feeling more beers will be heading down the route of adding floral tones, and have seen Elderberry and Raspberry recently.

Other memorable ones are Robinson's Chocolate Tom, Chimay Red/Blue, and Brooklyn Chocolate Stout.

Any other good beers out there?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I love a copper dragon. Bar that Jennings snecklifter is lovely and caremely.

Pedigree's my staple but is absolute rotten outside of the midlands.

I once had a lovely ale that had a tinge of ginger at the real ale bar at the wolverhampton civic, think it was brewed by enville, very moreish.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I love a copper dragon. Bar that Jennings snecklifter is lovely and caremely.

Pedigree's my staple but is absolute rotten outside of the midlands.

I once had a lovely ale that had a tinge of ginger at the real ale bar at the wolverhampton civic, think it was brewed by enville, very moreish.

Used to love Pedigree, and I did have lots of very good pints of it outside the Midlands. Prior to 2003, in Aberystwyth. Since then it's been poor. Not sure what has happened to it?

HOLA448
HOLA449

Badgers Golden Glory is, as you say, delightful.

Exmoor Gold is similar, and fantastic on draught.

Some of the most outstanding beers IMO are very common - Fullers. All of them. London Pride, ESB, Chiswick Bitter, 1845 etc. When I lived in London I always went to Fullers pubs but those other big SE brewers - Youngs and Shepherd Neame - did nothing for me. Unfortunately Fullers has yet to penetrate this far west.

HOLA4410

Badgers Golden Glory is, as you say, delightful.

Exmoor Gold is similar, and fantastic on draught.

Some of the most outstanding beers IMO are very common - Fullers. All of them. London Pride, ESB, Chiswick Bitter, 1845 etc. When I lived in London I always went to Fullers pubs but those other big SE brewers - Youngs and Shepherd Neame - did nothing for me. Unfortunately Fullers has yet to penetrate this far west.

London Pride is one I always have if I see it in the north. There's something about brews in the 4.5% region that makes them perfect for a session. I find 4% ones a little weak, and 5% ones carry too heavy a hit. It's just a very nicely hopped ale and nothing too offensive about it.

I'm not sure if I've yet tried Exmoor Gold but have always got a place for southwest ales, my favourite being St Austell's Proper Job. Saw it on in the Victoria Hotel in Leeds the other day and just had to go for it. Tasted unbelievably fresh.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Used to love Pedigree, and I did have lots of very good pints of it outside the Midlands. Prior to 2003, in Aberystwyth. Since then it's been poor. Not sure what has happened to it?

That's quite surprising, the hard water here in Burton makes it very difficult to distribute it so it retains it's flavour. Although we're launching minicask pedigree in a couple of weeks - real ale (properly) at home finally ;)

HOLA4414

That's quite surprising, the hard water here in Burton makes it very difficult to distribute it so it retains it's flavour. Although we're launching minicask pedigree in a couple of weeks - real ale (properly) at home finally ;)

I'm not sure what the whole argument about beer being moved spoiling it comes from. We used to have the same in Manchester with Boddington's but found it a little dubious? Is there a physical reason?

HOLA4415

I'm not sure what the whole argument about beer being moved spoiling it comes from. We used to have the same in Manchester with Boddington's but found it a little dubious? Is there a physical reason?

All beer get's "burtonised" in that pale ale as it is today requires a specific level of salts/minerals that you only get from burton bore water, specifically with pedigree, it essentially uses more bore water than any other, which gives the sulphury taste to it, the downside to this is that it goes eggy quite quick, so unless it's bottled (i.e. not undergoing second fermentation) then there's quite a small window to get it into trunkers, out into casks, and then distributed

HOLA4416

The nearer the brewery it is drunk the better.So The Swan and The Crown come out top followed by The Nelson,The Sole Bay and The Red Lion.

I thought the swan had crawled up its own backside the last few years and catered mostly for chino wearing holiday homers?

I don't get back as often as I would like. I miss it.

HOLA4417

A coffee stout from one of the Scottish brewers that was being sold in a couple of pubs in Glasgow in the autumn of 1995 as a market test. It was great but I guess it didn't catch on. The coffee thing was quite subtle, it was a nice pint beyond the gimmic. Been haunted by it ever since :-(

HOLA4418

A coffee stout from one of the Scottish brewers that was being sold in a couple of pubs in Glasgow in the autumn of 1995 as a market test. It was great but I guess it didn't catch on. The coffee thing was quite subtle, it was a nice pint beyond the gimmic. Been haunted by it ever since :-(

Pints sometimes stick in the memory. The Golden Glory I referred to in the OP was in 2003. Not seen it on tap since. The Robinson's Chocolate Tom was briefly on tap in winter 2008 but went within 2 hours of being on, I guess that's the price you pay for a Wetherspoons providing a 6% beer at £1.69 :blink: You can find all these beers usually in bottles but they are never the same. :(

HOLA4419

Too many to choose from but really like a nice pint of Carling in a plastic pint pot surrounded by MVDs in a sports bar. Can't beat it.

Only kidding. A pint or 3 of Doom Bar goes down a treat, Timothy Taylor landlord always good for a session, really enjoyed a Norfolk ale called Woodforde's Wherry but the bottles I took home were nowhere close to the draught we got on holiday. If choosing from the lager trolley Budvar, Pilsner Urquell, Warsteiner all work for me.

HOLA4420

Pints sometimes stick in the memory. The Golden Glory I referred to in the OP was in 2003. Not seen it on tap since. The Robinson's Chocolate Tom was briefly on tap in winter 2008 but went within 2 hours of being on, I guess that's the price you pay for a Wetherspoons providing a 6% beer at £1.69 :blink:You can find all these beers usually in bottles but they are never the same. :(

You beat me to it (see post just below yours). Why don't bottles measure up? Real shame.

HOLA4421

You beat me to it (see post just below yours). Why don't bottles measure up? Real shame.

See post before, they don't undergoe second fermentation (as in their cask ale counterparts) and so the lose their richness. Same reason why boxed wine tastes awfull - if it was still fermenting it would explode in the bag!

HOLA4422

Similar for me but not coffee beer, instead Rauch beer from south Germany where they smoke the malt. Had one pint at the beer festival at Olympia, never found it since despite much looking.

Was it as good as I remember, why can't I find it. I keep looking.

HOLA4423

Too many to choose from but really like a nice pint of Carling in a plastic pint pot surrounded by MVDs in a sports bar. Can't beat it.

Only kidding. A pint or 3 of Doom Bar goes down a treat, Timothy Taylor landlord always good for a session, really enjoyed a Norfolk ale called Woodforde's Wherry but the bottles I took home were nowhere close to the draught we got on holiday. If choosing from the lager trolley Budvar, Pilsner Urquell, Warsteiner all work for me.

I can't stand the cheapo lagers such as Carling or Fosters...It causes mayhem with my guts...I find them far too acidic.. Much like a crap bottle of wine or Cider. I really like more premium lagers such as Tiger.

Being a Somerset chap, I'm really spoilt for choice over the number of breweries in the surrounding areas. I was given a Badger's pack of various ales last chrimbo. They're pretty good.

HOLA4424

In their defence they are far better than cans.

Interesting to read about Pedigree. I love it on draught but I find it hard to drink in bottles or cans, I think I've just received the explanation.

HOLA4425

In their defence they are far better than cans.

Interesting to read about Pedigree. I love it on draught but I find it hard to drink in bottles or cans, I think I've just received the explanation.

Cans shouldn't be better - it is the light that degrades beer and cans protect better than bottles. I think this one may be a placebo thing.

Archived