House Price Crash Forum

Coalition Government Axes £2Bn Of Projects

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Yep these are just Labour's last minute vote winning bribes they are axing ... this will just stop the defecit from getting bigger. Expect another 60Bn+ of cuts soon. This government seems pretty serious about not going becoming a Greek pig, and instead want us to be a deflationary Irish hog.

Edited by TheEmperorHasNoClothes

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

if they wanted to save cash why not leave afganistan right now?

feck the yanks

+1

This country just gets the bills and to provide cannon fodder.

Should time it to coincide with BP's transfer of $20bn for the US political slush fund.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE65G1Z820100617

Not sure which one to believe BBC or Reuters. Inclined to believe later.

The frozen projects include a 7 billion pound contract for search and rescue helicopters. The preferred bidder -- a consortium including French defence firm Thales, Sikorsky and Royal Bank of Scotland -- must wait to see if it gets the nod.

WTF???

Why the hell are RBS involved in making helicopters?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Yeah, really great idea with the resource shortages and world instability are round the corner....

Yes it is isn't it.

There's millions to be saved in paring down the MOD civil service and getting rid of hundreds of senior officers.

Do we really need:

More admirals than ships.

More Brigadiers than brigades.

More squadron leaders than aircraft.

I think not.

HOLA4416

You're quite wrong. The empress roundabout is so interesting, hundreds of people coming from London stop to view it on a Friday and Sunday evening.

Yeah, and anyway the Bell Inn has just laid on another packet of crisps, so it's all sorted...

HOLA4417

I think stopping free swimming for U-16s and over 60s 8 months early, to save £40m is a bit petty:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10343421.stm

I was getting fed up with spokesman saying "a billion here or a billion there" makes no difference when it obviously does when you add them all together. But £40m? It will seem mean, I reckon and lefty councils will make a field-day out of it.

Edited by deflation

HOLA4418

I think stopping free swimming for U-16s and over 60s 8 months early, to save £40m is a bit petty:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/politics/10343421.stm

I was getting fed up with spokesman saying "a billion here or a billion there" makes no difference when it obviously does when you add them all together. But £40m? It will seem mean, I reckon and lefty councils will make a field-day out of it.

£40m used to be quite a lot of money. It still is in my house.

HOLA4419

£40m used to be quite a lot of money. It still is in my house.

Trouble is, it applies to retiree's

My early 60s uncle already gets the winter fuel payment and will freely admit he doesnt need it, yet would be the first to protest should it get cut. He also takes about a half dozen foreign holidays a year (seriously)

The boomers think they are 'owed', and lets face it, for a generation thats fought in no wars, had the previous generation build a cradle to grave infrastructure for them, and have the next generation keep it going, its no surprise theyre selfish gits.

I think we'll all be surprised at the fuss they kick up should their free pools and spa treatments get cut.

Edited by Sadman

HOLA4420

This is in many ways Libcon's Iraq.

Instead of cosying up to the US, Camoron is keen to be nice to Europe for later advantage.

The colateral damage to this country and its people isn't on the agenda.

Cuts have always been sexy to the Tory Party and the Liberals are still mesmerised by power.

A strategy for growth in just part of the economy, other than dole queues, would be a positive.

But Libcons don't do positive.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

at 450K per job this is hardly a bargain.

tim

It was a loan, not a grant and the investment would not have been just in jobs. Therare other measures, like expertise and competitive knowledge. Losing those is a long-term disadvantage.

Looks like Nick is telling his constituents that he is so determined to make cuts that he will even cost them their jobs. Big of him.