House Price Crash Forum

Nasa Warns Solar Flares From 'huge Space Storm' Will Cause Devastation

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7819201/Nasa-warns-solar-flares-from-huge-space-storm-will-cause-devastation.html

This is not a drill!

(I'd better watch that 2012 film while there's still time.)

yup.

NASA had better watch out too,because the same solar storm is going to completely feck up all countries that are heavily reliant on sattelite technology,and large surface navies.

the really bad news is the russians built better missiles,and they know this crap is coming too.Uncle sam is not immune.

HOLA442

I'm sure the Sun's steady increase to full power has no measurable contributing effect to any global warming, which as we know, the science being settled and everything, is due to trace gasses naturally occuring in the atmosphere.

HOLA443
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I'm getting a bit bored of these imminent global disasters.

Can we have the main course, and stop ******ing about?

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I personally don't define 'devestation' as broken electrical equipment. I think the reporting is a little purple.

Broken electrical equipment?

Not my MacBook?

Do you think if I shield it with my wife, it might be ok?

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest X-QUORK

Broken electrical equipment?

Not my MacBook?

Do you think if I shield it with my wife, it might be ok?

I'd be happy to lie on your wife just to make sure.

HOLA448
HOLA449
He said large swathes of the world could face being without power for several months, although he admitted that was unlikely.

A more likely scenario was that large areas, including northern Europe and Britain which have “fragile” power grids, would be without power and access to electronic devices for hours, possibly even days.

I'm going to buy beans and gold and melt them together then eat them.

HOLA4410
Guest Skinty

Oh goody!

I'll get out my all-mechanical Hasselblad film cameras and take great shots of the northern lights!

HOLA4411
Guest anorthosite

******** They said this after the last solar minimum. Someone's looking for funding methinks.

HOLA4412

******** They said this after the last solar minimum. Someone's looking for funding methinks.

tell that to the Dinosaurs....they didnt listen...maybe we should.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest anorthosite

The Sun throws meteorites?

Didn't expect such an unscientific contribution from you!

It can slingshot them B)

HOLA4416
Guest Noodle

I'd be happy to lie on your wife just to make sure.

You would too, if you've ever met her. Proper stunner.

Although I reckon by now the old girls starting to pile on the weight. They do that after marriage, it's natural.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

It can slingshot them B)

Won't that send them backwards in time?

Of course, all the really important people (scientists, philosophers, HPC mods) should be evacuated to Nerva Beacon at the earliest opportunity.

I'm just not sure if white is quite my colour.

vira+%26+rogin.JPG

HOLA4419
Guest Noodle

Won't that send them backwards in time?

Of course, all the really important people (scientists, philosophers, HPC mods) should be evacuated to Nerva Beacon at the earliest opportunity.

I'm just not sure if white is quite my colour.

vira+%26+rogin.JPG

Has that bird got something jammed up her?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest Noodle

Either that or a typical example of wooden acting in Doctor Who.

I thought they had plastic ones by then?

HOLA4422
Guest X-QUORK

I have been practising duck and cover all afternoon, rolling under my desk. Am I being a fool?

There's an excuse for a war story.

I'd just arrived fresh faced at an army base in South Armagh, straight into the cookhouse for a bit of lunch when the fecking mortar alarm starts up. I don't mind admitting my butt cheeks were firmly clenched in some sort of odd fight or flight response. I was all for diving under the table as I shot panicked glances at the others - who carried on as if nothing was happening. I now know that I'd rather die than look a twunt in front of my peers, because I took their lead and tried to pretend nothing was happening as I ate my chips through the din of the alarm. I soon learned that these alarms happened most days and very rarely amounted to much.

I didn't say it was a good war story.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

There's an excuse for a war story.

I'd just arrived fresh faced at an army base in South Armagh, straight into the cookhouse for a bit of lunch when the fecking mortar alarm starts up. I don't mind admitting my butt cheeks were firmly clenched in some sort of odd fight or flight response. I was all for diving under the table as I shot panicked glances at the others - who carried on as if nothing was happening. I now know that I'd rather die than look a twunt in front of my peers, because I took their lead and tried to pretend nothing was happening as I ate my chips through the din of the alarm. I soon learned that these alarms happened most days and very rarely amounted to much.

I didn't say it was a good war story.

Reminds me of a bit of Spike Milligan (no war stories of my own, I'm not really interested in getting anywhere near flying ammunition that might be aimed at me):

"The roar of a plane mixed with cannon shells all over the place - M.E. 109 roof top, red propellor boss - panic - Battery as one man into ditch - not Major Chaterjack, M.C., D.S.O. - stands alone in the road - unmoved - produces a silver case, lights up a cigarette. He is smoking luxuriously as we all sheepishly rise from what now feels like the gutter. He addresses us: "Very good - you realise you did the right thing and I the wrong."

HOLA4425

I personally don't define 'devastation' as broken electrical equipment. I think the reporting is a little purple.

Might find it a bit more personally devastating if you were on a plane...

How would you feel if your kids were on a plane when the space storm hit and killed them? Eh? Wouldn't be so funny then would it?

Archived