House Price Crash Forum

My Flymo Hoover Caught Fire

HOLA441

Got my Flymo hoover out last night to do my first cut of the grass of the season - the grass was very long due to the fact that the back garden is a bog that I cannot cut until it has dried out a bit.

Got halfway round and the mower started smoking, caught fire briefly and died. Only 2 years old.

Thankfully, the same model is on sale for £50 in Homebase, bad news is they are sold out.

Anyhow, I only started cutting grass when I moved into this rental2 years ago - is this kind of thing common with lawnmowers? No real knowledge of mowers.

This is the one that burnt and which I am thinking of getting again.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1673766&c_3=3|cat_14279546|Lawnmowers|14279598&c_2=2|cat_16849255|Lawnmowers+and+garden+power+tools|14279546&c_1=1|category_root|Gardening|16849255

HOLA442
Guest eight

Got my Flymo hoover out last night to do my first cut of the grass of the season - the grass was very long due to the fact that the back garden is a bog that I cannot cut until it has dried out a bit.

Got halfway round and the mower started smoking, caught fire briefly and died. Only 2 years old.

Thankfully, the same model is on sale for £50 in Homebase, bad news is they are sold out.

Anyhow, I only started cutting grass when I moved into this rental2 years ago - is this kind of thing common with lawnmowers? No real knowledge of mowers.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=1673766&c_3=3|cat_14279546|Lawnmowers|14279598&c_2=2|cat_16849255|Lawnmowers+and+garden+power+tools|14279546&c_1=1|category_root|Gardening|16849255

I used to work for Flymo.

Hated every second of it.

That is all.

eight

HOLA443

Motors normally burn out if they encounter too much resistance, is this what happened?

Something as deluxe as a Flymo I would have thought should have built-in protection though.

HOLA444

Motors normally burn out if they encounter too much resistance, is this what happened?

Something as deluxe as a Flymo I would have thought should have built-in protection though.

Yes, I suspect the length of grass got too much for it. No built-in protection. Would have thought it would have had a cut-out before burn-out but there you go.

Replacement motor is £43 plus p&p, replacement mower if £50.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Yup.

If you don't religiously tend your grass, get a strimmer instead, it will deal with the long grass but you will have to rake it up afterwards.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I had nothing but trouble with my Flymo, same as yours. Grass is a little long and it just cannot cope, motor gets hot and burns out if you push it too hard.

My advice is; don't buy another electric mower, get a petrol mower. Argos have a few choices but I'm purchasing this one in a few days:

http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/7302859/reviews.htm

Not very expensive and the reviews are quite good.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've fixed agricultural machinery for over 16 years. I bet it's the capacitor. Have you stripped out the motor and had a look at it?

Capacitor for £8.49

Be a bit pointless stripping it apart to replace the capacitor only to find the motor windings are burnt out, unless you have nothing better to do. Probably better to chuck it away and buy a petrol mower. Get a good second hand one on ebay.

HOLA4413

General purpose lightweight mowers are suitable for cutting normal domestic lawns of normal length. Note the use of the word normal. If you are cutting very long grass the manufacturers would not class that as normal. Many low cost lawnmowers I suspect would go the same way as your Flymo. A more powerful motor is what is required......

Good luck

HOLA4414

I don't know much about electric lawnmowers, always having had petrol ones - but if my lawnmower had burst into flames I wouldn't go back to the same brand for a replacement!

:D

My thoughts entirely!

It's worth mentioning that EU law or summut has required mowers to be fitted with brakes that stop the mower working pdq once you power down. A mower of mine that would not start was actually perfectly fine save for the fact that the brake shattered, causing the machine to be permanently powered down. I simply removed the brake anf hey presto. It was a hoover-hover rather like the one pictured. If you are technical you might wanna take a peek under the hood, especially if you believe we have become too wasteful as a society.

Oh, and mowers should really work forever. The tech is ancient and very hardy (save for the shite placky blades they put on cheaper models - again, another "safety" feature I guess).

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Be a bit pointless stripping it apart to replace the capacitor only to find the motor windings are burnt out, unless you have nothing better to do. Probably better to chuck it away and buy a petrol mower. Get a good second hand one on ebay.

Yes, I found the replacement capacitor price but then figured that if it is not that then that is about £12 down the drain once I include p&p in it.

I was thinking of getting a bloke to come monthly but the s*ds charge £40 to £50 to cut a lawn which soons makes the cost of a lawnmower reasonable.

Actually, one of the benefits of renting is that I now know that I do not want a house with a big lawn - you end up spending your spare time mowing. My neighbours are constantly mowing their lawns in Summer, sometimes twice weekly, and, even worse, most of them have largish front gardens that they don't ever use, sit on, etc.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

If it burnt out and caught fire then why are you buying another one?

Just buy a big bucket of roundup and chuck it over the grass.

Because I is thick.

Well, it was OK for 2 years and for £50 I am hoping the next one will last long enough for me to get out of this rental and into my own home... which hopefully will have less lawn...

Aren't all these types of lawnmowers, whatever make, basically the same?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

This just sums up what's wrong with the world. Come on, it's 3 screws. Have a look. The innards come out when they are gone, kinda like jam from a donut.

FlymoRe320.gif

I have opened it up.

I have looked at it.

The capacitor does not look as if there is anything wrong.

The motor was sparking - I could see this under the plastic cover just before it died - so assume that it is likely that the motor windings are burnt out.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived