House Price Crash Forum

Protect Savings From Inflation And Pound Devaluation

Hold Fast

HOLA441

Hi all,

I've decided that rather than risk having my savings eroded by UK inflation I'd like to do something about it. I was considering index linked NS&I bonds but ideally I'd like something that is denominated in another currency to avoid devaluation of the pound. Its not a huge amount, about 10k but its a lot of money to me and I'd like to protect it!

Can anyone advise on something that could provide the average man on the street (me) a reasonable level of security, ease of access and not cost a lot in fees. I'm not interested in gold and I think the euro is a bad idea at the moment so perhaps Swiss francs, USD,, yen or even AUSD?

Thanks!

HOLA442
HOLA443

Nobody knows. There was similar chat just before Christmas 2008. I tallied the results of a poll on currencies to move to. Then brought it up a year later. Half would have been up. Half would have been down.

If you wanted to hedge your money against a currency devaluation you would not be doing it now. You would be doing it before any danger became apparent. Someone who moves their currency today is simply gambling. And good luck to them - but it is a gamble - pure and simple.

IMO anyway.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Hi all,

I've decided that rather than risk having my savings eroded by UK inflation I'd like to do something about it. I was considering index linked NS&I bonds but ideally I'd like something that is denominated in another currency to avoid devaluation of the pound. Its not a huge amount, about 10k but its a lot of money to me and I'd like to protect it!

Can anyone advise on something that could provide the average man on the street (me) a reasonable level of security, ease of access and not cost a lot in fees. I'm not interested in gold and I think the euro is a bad idea at the moment so perhaps Swiss francs, USD,, yen or even AUSD?

Thanks!

? I am the average man in the street as well and I've got gold!

Very easy to access and not too much in fees and as much security as you make it to be. Started buying in Aug '07 at £320 per oz now worth £700 odd, so that's the inflation angle covered..

Edit - spelling as always

Edited by Fishfinger

HOLA447

Was thinking the same way a few months ago when I sold my gold on the back of experts predicting it would see $800 this year LOL, I then bought AUD at around 1.79 with HSBC currency account. I have no idea what I'm going to do now. If it's likely their going to print I think I might hedge more of my savings against devalution. What makes my blood boil is the fact that I've been putting money aside each month for many years and I have currency devalution looming over my head. By saving for the future I thought I was above my friends buying fancy cars, clothes, gadgets, nights out etc now I just feel like an idiot.

HOLA448

Was thinking the same way a few months ago when I sold my gold on the back of experts predicting it would see $800 this year LOL, I then bought AUD at around 1.79 with HSBC currency account. I have no idea what I'm going to do now. If it's likely their going to print I think I might hedge more of my savings against devalution. What makes my blood boil is the fact that I've been putting money aside each month for many years and I have currency devalution looming over my head. By saving for the future I thought I was above my friends buying fancy cars, clothes, gadgets, nights out etc now I just feel like an idiot.

I have saved my **** off over the last 10 years but now my cash feels like a liability - I want to reduce my exposure to sterling/inflation but stable door, horse, bolted springs to mind.

HOLA449

I have saved my **** off over the last 10 years but now my cash feels like a liability - I want to reduce my exposure to sterling/inflation but stable door, horse, bolted springs to mind.

Yeah maybe it is a bit too late, in an ideal world I would have done something about this long ago. But I didn't and you can't change the past so I'm hoping I can at least avoid it getting any worse.

Ok, so far we've got gold and a HSBC currency account. I'm with first direct already so I'll look into that.

HOLA4410

? I am the average man in the street as well and I've got gold!

@Fishfinger

mate, I didn't mean the average man in the street shouldn't have gold! Sounds like you've done very well out of it too, congrats. The reason I don't want to go into gold is I think that ship has sailed. Of course that's another discussion entirely.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

@Fishfinger

mate, I didn't mean the average man in the street shouldn't have gold! Sounds like you've done very well out of it too, congrats. The reason I don't want to go into gold is I think that ship has sailed. Of course that's another discussion entirely.

The ship will be leaving the dockside, still room on board...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Hi all,

Thanks!

Perhaps a Google search of countries running net fiscal surpluses or relatively small deficits might help you decide on the currencies in which to diversify.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/eco_deb_ext_pergdp-economy-debt-external-per-gdp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

http://www.visualeconomics.com/gdp-vs-national-debt-by-country/