House Price Crash Forum

Sheffield Area

HOLA441

A god-awful prospect IMO. Unless "Centro" living matters more than common sense.

I mean, just look at it, compared to the refurbished Hyde Park.....

I'm sure they'll have more living area than most modern flats, or even some houses, but even so, they don't appeal to me.

Not sure, aren't they still working on some of the flats?

Yes they are, for now. In today's Sheffield Star - Changes to Park Hill Complex Renovation backed -

"Plans for a hotel to be included in the lower floors were withdrawn from the application by the developer.

The company was also given permission to reduce from 321 to 263 the total number of homes being created as part of phase one, with the number of one bed homes cut from 196 to 118 and two-bed homes increased to 138."

Anyhoo - looks like reality is kicking in - wonder if phases 2 & 3 will even get done?

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'd have not problem living in a high rise, high density housing scheme provided:

1) Every household is employed.

2) The other residents are all 20 year busty blondes gagging for it.

In my experience you get the exact opposite of 1) and 2) tends to be 50 going on 80 year old saggy t*tted benefit sha*g bags brining all the dossers home for a sh*g.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

I went for a beer a few nights ago and a mate of a mate was there. He said that St James House in the centre of Sheffield (1960s 10 story office block near to the Cathedral) had gone into administration. He reckoned that Northern Rock has foreclosed and it was in the administrators hands now.

Anybody heard anything?

HOLA445

St James House in the centre of Sheffield (1960s 10 story office block near to the Cathedral)

I remember when the NUM were based there during the 80s strike. Lots of police round there when they had a meeting.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA446

Good anecdotal: Sheffield house hunters I know have been looking in the #180 - 250k price range (stamp duty limitation) during Sept/Oct 2011. Viewed 12, only one worth considering, the rest "overpriced" and some of them in a "shocking state, like they'd not had anything done to them for 30 or 40 years" (their words). Mostly 3 bed semis and det in the mid market areas.

These will be the ones that are sticking on the market month after month, while the houses that undercut them are moving fairly quickly, such is the demand for good familiy housing.

They have priced their house competitively and it has sold (survey good, buyer's mort approved, etc.).

Lesson to sellers in Sheff - be the cheapest in your price range/area by 5 to 10% and you'll sell. Stick your unimproved hovel on at 2008 prices and it won't!

Thats what we are finding during our searches, we're in London just sold for 16% lower than asking price, we carried out and modernised, fixed everything the buyer asked for like taking out fitted cupboards and making floors and ceiling good, now we have been looking around the S6 and S8 area of Sheffield some needed total modernisation nothing has been done for 30yrs etc they're holding out for full asking prices.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447

Thats what we are finding during our searches, we're in London just sold for 16% lower than asking price, we carried out and modernised, fixed everything the buyer asked for like taking out fitted cupboards and making floors and ceiling good, now we have been looking around the S6 and S8 area of Sheffield some needed total modernisation nothing has been done for 30yrs etc they're holding out for full asking prices.

I sold up this time last year for 12% under my initial asking price. Been vaguely looking around since then and many of the house are the same as when mine went on the market 18 months ago. Some houses I recognise as having been on/off for 3+ years!

Many houses in the £200-350k range are hideous, 20-30 years out of date and tiny. Who is going to buy these places? £160-200k houses in Crookes, which I feel are still 20% over priced, are much better value.

There is a real shortage of good quality houses available too. I suspect these go rather quicker and closer to asking (assuming the mortgage is obtained of course).

Other than being very over priced (Botanical Gardens area anyone). nice houses seem to disappear at £200k (terraced) and reappear at £400k. Too much of a gap.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Every few weeks I search RightMove for houses in Sothall. The same (unsold) houses keep cropping up.

Dear Bart,

I don't know if I want to help you find your dream pad near my Gaff.

The houses in Sothall are mainly overpriced, knock 15% off all published prices at least. Then play hard ball with the vendor.

You could always wave that Co Op bag stuffed with £50's under their noses!

Seriously the 15% off the advertised price is a good starting point especially if the place has been on the market for a long time.

Also have a large deposit and or no need for a large mortgage. Also be in a position to MOVE!

Bonner

edited bag instead of back!

Edited by bonner

HOLA4410

I'd be a great neighbour me, no loud music, no rusty car jacked up on bricks in the front garden.

And if you should see a man staring at you with a pair of binoculars, just ignore him.

hqdefault.jpg

Also have a large deposit and or no need for a large mortgage. Also be in a position to MOVE!

I'm working on a target of a 75% deposit.

I would need to get a mate of mine in to do the negotiations. Not only is he in the building trade and a proficient DIY-er, but his negotiating skills border on the supernatural.

Something like this looks to be in my price range.

79172_sykes_IMG_16_0000_max_620x414.jpg

HOLA4411

Dear Bart,

I wondered what that Glint was the other day?

I have seen that house before, £120,000 too much old chum!

Mine was built before that by about a year,

In the process of changing the doors,

Re floored one room.

Usual decor removed and re done right down to the plaster in a couple of rooms.

New Cylinder in Hot water system.

New bathroom.

Etc.

Bought in 2007, and no we did not pay the asking price. See above list of to do's

Bonner

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I have seen that house before, £120,000 too much old chum!

It's certainly heading in the right direction.

A 15% reduction (as mentioned early) would put it within my price range.

I really want one of these:

19761_0308_HAY030865796_IMG_00_0001.JPG

He'd spot you 200 yards away:

61961-500x500.jpg

This is the Dalek I really want (link).

Prices have gone up £500 of late. And the deflationists wonder why I doubt them.

HOLA4414

This is the Dalek I really want (link).

Prices have gone up £500 of late. And the deflationists wonder why I doubt them.

You could take a cheaper way out to be an violent alien and buy on the other side of Rother Valley CP and get a house in Killamarsh - you could then legitimately claim to be a killamartian :rolleyes:.

HOLA4415

You could take a cheaper way out to be an violent alien and buy on the other side of Rother Valley CP and get a house in Killamarsh - you could then legitimately claim to be a killamartian :rolleyes:.

Wouldn't that leave me permanently in the red?

HOLA4416

Dear Bart,

The houses in Sothall are mainly overpriced, knock 15% off all published prices at least. Then play hard ball with the vendor.

You could always wave that Co Op bag stuffed with £50's under their noses!

Seriously the 15% off the advertised price is a good starting point especially if the place has been on the market for a long time.

Bonner

T'Star says "HOMEOWNERS in South Yorkshire have been forced to cut asking prices by more than £13,000 in an effort to sell their homes, new research has found.More than 44 per cent of people looking to sell property in Rotherham have had to cut their prices by an average of £13,671 .

The town had the third-highest proportion of asking price reductions in the country - while Chesterfield was placed second.

More than 45 per cent of householders in Chesterfield tried to speed up the sale of their homes by slashing prices by an average of £14,028."

Edited by newbonic

• 3 months later...
HOLA4417

Radio Sheffield had an article about the Park Hill flats renovation project at circa 8:10AM.

Apparently the 1st block of 52 are on sale, and can be occupied within 6 months. However, only about 18 of them have been reserved with deposits. The developers are hoping to flog the 1st 52 and clear £5mill(ish) to help finance further developments on the site.

If the 1st batch aren't flying off the shelf (unlike the TVs which will soon be flying off the balconies) then it's not looking good for the sale of the other 800 that are planned to hit the market over the next few years.

I think the odds of the project being binned and hundreds of unrenovated and unsellable flats has just gone up a notch, along with the loss of £30m of Sheffield tax payers money.

I wonder how the Chinese theme park over at Rother Valley is getting on?

HOLA4418

I wonder how the Chinese theme park over at Rother Valley is getting on?

I've been wondering that myself.

Looking at the Park Hill flats on Rightmove, the interiors do look very nice

94145_230001_233013_13NS_IMG_07_0000_max_620x414.jpg

But in the end, it's still Park Hill. Isn't it?

Anyway, having lived in a flat for 23 years, I feel I've "done" flat living.

And I want to live further out from the city centre, not closer to it.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4419

I've been wondering that myself.

Looking at the Park Hill flats on Rightmove, the interiors do look very nice

But in the end, it's still Park Hill. Isn't it?

Anyway, having lived in a flat for 23 years, I feel I've "done" flat living.

And I want to live further out from the city centre, not closer to it.

wicker_riverside.jpg

A horror story from the Wicker Riverside apartments in the DM. Child falls 60ft to her death through a missing glass barrier in a communal balcony. It was broken by vandals and not fixed by the owners. I just don't think flats are good places for kids, even without this kind of avoidable horror.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2165851/Balcony-horror-girl-3-plunges-death-fourth-floor-block-flats.html#ixzz1z5khVQBo

HOLA4420

A horror story from the Wicker Riverside apartments in the DM. Child falls 60ft to her death through a missing glass barrier in a communal balcony. It was broken by vandals and not fixed by the owners. I just don't think flats are good places for kids

I missed that one. As you say, a horror story.

My dad always used to say that they shouldn't have moved families to the likes of Hyde Park. It's not a place I'd have liked to grow up in.

I grew up at Herdings, S14 and we had the local park to play in, streets largely devoid of cars and lots of woods to roam in until teatime.

Fivegomad.jpg

(We even used to wear shorts as well, no ginger beer or cold ham though.)

We used to live in one of the tower blocks at Herdings until I was about 2. My mum and dad did a house exchange because they did't want to bring up a growing child there.

HOLA4421

wicker_riverside.jpg

A horror story from the Wicker Riverside apartments in the DM. Child falls 60ft to her death through a missing glass barrier in a communal balcony. It was broken by vandals and not fixed by the owners. I just don't think flats are good places for kids, even without this kind of avoidable horror.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1z5khVQBo

Nice outdoor garden that is, but it never were safe. Had a few good BBQ's and drinking sessions there, stood and smoked by the panel where the poor young girl fell. I feel that it could have been avoided if they had metal fencing rather than those glass panels.

RIP Ryaheen.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Nice outdoor garden that is, but it never were safe. Had a few good BBQ's and drinking sessions there, stood and smoked by the panel where the poor young girl fell. I feel that it could have been avoided if they had metal fencing rather than those glass panels.

RIP Ryaheen.

Saw this on Look North and it seemed to be all let to Iraqi's etc. Is it council or BTL?

HOLA4424

Saw this on Look North and it seemed to be all let to Iraqi's etc. Is it council or BTL?

Recently built, privately. So Buy to Let.

Lot of foreigners in the block though. When I was down there drinking/BBQ it was with Lats, Liths and Poles. A Latvian friend of mine was renting a 2bed flat there for something like £500 and soon moved to a 3bed house in Rov'rum because it were cheaper.

HOLA4425

Recently built, privately. So Buy to Let.

Lot of foreigners in the block though. When I was down there drinking/BBQ it was with Lats, Liths and Poles. A Latvian friend of mine was renting a 2bed flat there for something like £500 and soon moved to a 3bed house in Rov'rum because it were cheaper.

A mate has a 3 bed terraced house in an ex pit village near to Rotherham - I think he told me it was around £400 pcm. He said the owners paid about £35k for the place 12 or 13 years ago (before the HPI insanity).